Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Minihane On Edelman: "Essentially Brain-Dead"

Ian Logue

If you listened to WEEI on Friday, Kirk Minihane of

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

And this is how quote farming works. You take a throwaway line that wasn't at all at the core of what a guy was trying to say, cut all context away, and throw it out there like it's his main point and the hill he's prepared to die on.

One of the more contemptible parts of media life. Unfortunately there's no avoiding it.

The guy wasn't even talking about Edelman in any kind of football context. I mean it's not that surprising that Edelman can come across to some people as a bit of a meathead outside a football context? Outside a football context he IS a bit of a meathead.

A lot like Schilling in that respect. Schilling was a very smart pitcher and a dumb-as-a-box-of-rocks human being. Edelman's like that, very very smart ballplayer, but "cerebral" isn't the first word you'd use to describe him, would you?

In this case, Minihane's main point is correct - the idea that Brady will learn anything useful, and should associating with, Tony Robbins is just silly and a mistake. It comes off as looking like Brady is now joining the self-improvement, motivational speaker profession, or at least endorsing it. Sad.

And this is how quote farming works. You take a throwaway line that wasn't at all at the core of what a guy was trying to say, cut all context away, and throw it out there like it's his main point and the hill he's prepared to die on.

One of the more contemptible parts of media life. Unfortunately there's no avoiding it.

The guy wasn't even talking about Edelman in any kind of football context. I mean it's not that surprising that Edelman can come across to some people as a bit of a meathead outside a football context? Outside a football context he IS a bit of a meathead.

A lot like Schilling in that respect. Schilling was a very smart pitcher and a dumb-as-a-box-of-rocks human being. Edelman's like that, very very smart ballplayer, but "cerebral" isn't the first word you'd use to describe him, would you?
Not sure, I don't know Julian Edelman personally.

I'm no fan of the motivational speaking stuff, like at all, but I recognize that it works for some people.

On the other hand, every poster here has been pumped up at one time or another by a speech (e.g. Brady's "LET'S GOOOOOO!, a movie scene, etc.) so we may all have a little hypocrite in us.

Having said that, Minihane's comments are way over the top, bordering on unhinged, and I can't imagine a worse choice of Patriot for him to declare war on.

Completely disagree. Read the entire end of this post for "context":

Daily Notebook: Monday Patriots News and Notes 5/1 - PatsFans.com

The entire exchange (including the one from last Monday on Brady where he took the Globe's side on this - which is in the above post) was ridiculous and completely over the top. While I enjoy Minihane's podcasts (one of the best things he does), rants like those where he goes too far isn't something that you can just dismiss as a "throwaway". Was very disappointed when I heard both, although given his history, I wasn't completely shocked.

Not talking at all about Edelman from a football stand point, it was all about the Tony Robbins stuff. The price of the tickets to attend was really what got Minihane going. That show in the morning is by far the best thing about WEEI, Minihane is awesome!

Using the term "brain dead" to refer to any player in the NFL, past or present, given the exposure of the risks of serious head injury is so irresponsibly dumb as to make me even less inclined than I already am to listen to anything Minihaha has to say.

Tony Robbins is fairly out of touch with reality about many things and also is taking advantage of people. Frankly I think he is someone everyone should stay away from.

Do I believe Brady or Edelman or co-conspirators in this nonsense? Nope of course not. But I do think they have been taken in and advantage of like other people have by him. I am sad that is the case but it doesn't mean they are bad people in the least or brain dead. That being said I never considered Brady/Edelman intellectual giants either.

They are just guys who play football after all and frankly I see them as more suggestible than most when it comes to self help and improvement. I notice they (particularly Brady) are always on the lookout for any edge physically or mentally and usually look out for answers than within. People with that kind of personality go for this stuff more.

Only care about winning. Brady & JE are key (main) reasons this team is winning championships.

But, I'm with KM in that "to be part of this is type of 'event' is something I'd stay FAR away from."

Makes me think less of Brady & JE as people - but I never really cared much about them as people. I just want them to make NE win. No interest in forming a friendship.

In this case, Minihane's main point is correct - the idea that Brady will learn anything useful, and should associating with, Tony Robbins is just silly and a mistake. It comes off as looking like Brady is now joining the self-improvement, motivational speaker profession, or at least endorsing it. Sad.

I don't know if it comes off looking like he is endorsing it. Even if he is I don't blame the people who go to these things are then talk about how great it is. I blame the people who are running it.

If you blame the people in it then that to me is borderline blaming the victim which i don't think is the way to go here.

Minihane is a pig, period. He has absolutely no regard for anyone or anything. It's an old Howard Stern schtick. I only listen when I have no choice as some of those I work with love the Unmitigated @sshole performance. Dale and Holley is pretty much the only show I listen to anymore.

For the full context of this, this is from this morning:

WEEI's Minihane: Edelman a "Dummy" and "Essentially Brain Dead", Brady's Charity "Shady" - If you listened to WEEI on Friday, Kirk Minihane of "Kirk and Callahan" dropped some disturbing comments about Julian Edelman along with questionable remarks toward quarterback Tom Brady.

The topic of discussion came about surrounding the fact Brady and Edelman are taking part in an upcoming "Wealth and Success Summit" on June 8th in Boston with motivational speaker Tony Robbins.

While Minihane and Callahan disagreed with the two players being part of the event, Minihane went over the top with his criticism and had choice words in particular for Edelman.

"What I would say is, again, it gives you an insight into how empty Brady is," said Minihane of the fact the quarterback is appearing at the event.

"He's not empty, just because he has different priorities than you..." responded Callahan.

"If you think Tony Robbins, that crap he's peddling is real, you are as dumb as the day is long," said Minihane to Callahan. "That's what I would say."

From there they played a clip from one of Robbins' appearances, and that only infuriated Minhane further, which sparked one of his usual rants.

"I mean, really, and Brady will be sitting there with his notebook taking notes while this idiot [referring to Robbins] talks and slings his crap," said Minihane.

"Julian Edelman, who is essentially brain-dead," Minihane continued, "really is going to sit there and ... "

"Julian Edelman?" responded Callahan. "You're going to pay $6000 to hear Julian Edelman? ..."

"Talk?" barked Minihane. "I don't want to listen to him talk here at the station for free every week."

If you listen to Minihane with any regularity, you'll notice a pattern of ripping someone, and then coming back with "I like that person ... ". He took same approach with Brady as the segment continued.

"So Brady has only so much time, according to Gerry [Callahan], for Best Buddies but he can take a day with Anthony Robbins, a full day, right? O.K., just want to get that straight," said Minihane.

"This is frightening, this seriously creeps me out. I like Brady, he's a nice guy, our interactions with him, he's always been a good guy with us. I know he does a lot of charity work. I like the guy. I'm actually worried about him. I want to go there, I'll pay the $6000, I'm going to throw a net over Brady and bring him somewhere and try and bring him back to reality because his mind has snapped. It's snapped, he's snapped."

"This is so below Brady. This is so minor league. This is Tom Brady, the greatest quarterback ever, the greatest football player who ever lived, a king in this town, he's married to Gisele [Bundchen], the two of them are worth about $600 million and he's going to schlepp to some hotel with Anthony Robbins and that dummy, Edelman? For this talk? Am I the only one who thinks this is utter madness? Evidently."

Speaking about Minihane's praise for Brady's charity work, he was singing a different tune earlier in the week. Minihane went after the quarterback following the Globe (a newspaper he's openly admitted he can't stand and has a strong dislike for editor Joe Sullivan) releasing the piece about Brady's charity, Best Buddies, last weekend, questioning where the money was being allocated. Minihane surprisingly took the newspaper's side and claimed Brady and the charity weren't being transparent.

"So a charity that never disclosed it, gives $500,000 a year for his charity and what Brady does with it is things like, $250,000, if you donate to Best Buddies, there's a chance that money is going to his high school in San Mateo, they get $250,000," said Minihane. "If you give Best Buddies $100, if you're a guy making $35,000 a year, you give Best Buddies $100 because you love Brady, just know, there's a chance it's going to Santa Monica Catholic Community, or the TB12 Foundation, a charity formed by Brady in 2015 to support clients of his Foxboro-based TB12 Fitness and Nutrition company. That's in the world of shady to me right there. I'll say it."

"Ohio State University, $50,000, in honor of Ed Razek, that's where your money may be going, a former Victoria Secret executive who is said to have helped launch Brady's romance with Gisele, in 2006. $50,000 Michigan, obviously Dana Farber, Mission of Hope Haiti, Navy Seal Foundation, a charity for Tom Martinez, Brady's coach who died five years ago. $30,000 went to a nursing facility in Minnesota that cared for Brady's grandfather before he died in 2016."

He then argued with Mut Mutnanski about if giving to the nursing facility was a good cause (again, Brady's grandfather was cared for there which obviously holds a special place in the heart of the quarterback) and proceeded to argue with Mutnanski about whether or not Brady's own foundation was also good cause.

"You think the TB12 Foundation is a good cause?" barked Minihane. "Based on what?"

From there, Minihane claimed Brady and Best Buddies weren't being transparent about where the money was going, which Mutnanski tried in vain to explain to him that the information is there if Minihane just "does the work" and looks for it, which it is. Co-host Gerry Callahan also tried to reason with him, but failed as well.

Minihane, who joined the show a few years ago and has injected some life back into WEEI's morning show, has played an important part in the station taking back the lead in the ratings over 98.5 The Sports Hub's Toucher and Rich. But some of his bizarre rants seemingly are said (one can only hope) without him really thinking them through and certainly must test the incredible patience shown by his co-host, along with the two terrific producers WEEI has for that show in Chris Curtis and Ken Laird.

Brady and Edelman both appear weekly on the radio station during the regular season, with Brady being the only one of the two who conducts a weekly interview with Kirk & Callahan's show every Monday during the season. Edelman usually appears in the afternoon with Ordway, Merloni and Fauria and since WEEI owns the rights to Patriots Monday, that's the primary reason why those two players appear on there each week.

Needless to say it would be great if Minihane could tone it down and stick to the things he does really well, like interviews like these, instead of these rants that likely wouldn't be received positively with either player if they were made aware of them.

It's been a rough road for Minihane, who has faced multiple suspensions over the years and last season cost the station weekly interviews with Mike Lombardi and has alienated others. One would believe that costing the station a weekly interview with a player like Brady - or Edelman for that matter - likely wouldn't be something that would go over too well with the station.

Brady's said in the past he's a very positive person and tries to avoid negative situations. Despite that, it's safe to say the veteran quarterback wouldn't be feeling overly positive about Minihane's comments. Knowing Minihane, who already predicted Brady's impending demise two seasons ago, there will most likely be more to come.

Last edited:

You took Ian's post out of context. Read the attached article next time and then post. He clearly provided the correct context within the article.

Tony Robbins is fairly out of touch with reality about many things and also is taking advantage of people. Frankly I think he is someone everyone should stay away from.

Do I believe Brady or Edelman or co-conspirators in this nonsense? Nope of course not. But I do think they have been taken in and advantage of like other people have by him. I am sad that is the case but it doesn't mean they are bad people in the least of brain dead. That being said I never considered Brady/Edelman intellectual giants either.
Brady and Edelman are very naive. I can't believe they are in on the kind of thing that Tony Robbins is all about. They might as well be following some faith healer like "Benni Hinn" or something.

Sometimes redicule is necessary is someone is publicly pushing something stupid.

I hope Edelman runs into him somewhere. NFL player vs. radio blowhard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back