PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Florio just won't quit...still thinks Gronk gets traded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Understanding that you are throwing around hypothetical scenarios, I wouldn’t see much need to commit to 4 more years at the moment. That’s a pretty long time for someone who is often injured, obviously disgruntled on some level, and just recently discussed retirement in a passive agressive manner which took them up to 48 hrs before the draft.

Agree. Part of me thinks if he doesn't retire or not traded before then they are going to let him become a FA after next year.

When talk started of a possible restructuring, I always took it to mean that they would be looking to beef up the current deal, more specifically this upcoming year. Much like Brady, I think the situation will be revisited down the road, whether that’s in a year, or even two. As a fan, I certainly wouldn’t complain about tacking another year on to the current deal, but I’d be curious to see how Belichick feels. If they’re not even doing it for Brady, it’s hard to see how they’d do it for Gronk.

Strange times indeed. As of this moment, Brady and Gronk are set to become free agents after next year.

The guy just led the biggest comeback in SB history while winning the SB MVP for a 4th time, then turned around and won the regular season MVP again while leading them to another SB appearance where he threw for 505 yards. Moving on from him would’ve been very difficult to do, not to mention incredibly risky.

yup......and it seems that brady believes that the only way to completely cement his legacy is to make sure the pats completely suck upon his departure.........the transition from montana to young is not something brady would enjoy

I still stand by the mantra that a year too soon is much better than a year too late.......just watch

You know damn well Bill prioritizes long term gains over short term benefits.

The key question is does Bill think his team is better off in 2018 thru 2021 with or without Gronk and his cap hit being a part of it.
Exactly. What makes BB absolutely brilliant in his job is his farsightedness. He evaluates players not only to be serviceable right here right now but treats them like elements of the long distant plan. Agree if Gronk is a part of it he is going to stay with the team but if somehow his departure gives the team some profits then BB will not hasitate and trade him.

Agree. Part of me thinks if he doesn't retire or not traded before then they are going to let him become a FA after next year.

Strange times indeed. As of this moment, Brady and Gronk are set to become free agents after next year.
I just imagined Brady and Gronk playing for the Dolphins eww.

I just imagined Brady and Gronk playing for the Dolphins eww.
Do you think Dola is so persuasive to convince them to join the Fins?

Everyone knows BB would trade anyone if he got the teams 1st draft picks for the next 5 years

It's July and you have a show/website that needs content and you have no new story lines. Here's the code:

1.Insert Brady/Gronkowski/Belichick headline
2. Add question mark to the headline, so no one can fact check you and call BS
3. Make up stuff for the next three paragraphs
4. Advance date one day, goto line 1

Gronk loves Florida they do love Dola Gase is a offensive mind people retire in Florida.
However I think Kraft would do anything to prevent thatm

I agree with Ivan, until there is a contract signed anything can happen. It's a BB choice. I fell that BB would trade Gronk now for the right deal for the Pats. Gronk is a big unknown as far as his physical condition. Can he perform at top performance for the full season or will he be injured and not available for the playoffs. BB will decide, so we will have to listen and read the rumors and trust in Bill Belichick. I don't feel the Brady figures into the decision.
a couple of points including this one:

1. I don't understand this "until a contract is signed" crap. Gronk is under contract for the next TWO seasons. Any c0ntract ADJUSTMENTS are simply the Pats adding more incentives to his existing contract like they did last year. If you are waiting with baited breath for THIS non-story to happen, then you are wasting your time.

2. I think all the "will Gronk be traded?" story stems from the RUMORS that Gronk was on the block during the run up to the draft. That was ANOTHER piece of pure speculation that eventually started to be reported as fact. The fact is that Pats COULDN'T offer Gronk in a trade at that time because at THAT time Gronk didn't know if he would be playing in 2018. What team is going to trade for a player when they aren't sure they will be playing?. Not even the Jets are that stupid. It was well over a month AFTER the draft that Gronk finally committed to playing this year

3. I don't begrudge the mediots the right to SPECULATE, to try and play connect the dots with stories, especially in the offseason. Where I get pissed off is when that pure speculation starts to be passed off as fact in order to justify a narrative.

4. What they have done is take the fact that over the years BB has traded big names during TC. To that, they mix in the speculation that BB is pissed at Gronk because he dared to contemplate retiring this offseason. So when you add all that to the pure speculation ab0ut a Gronk trade before the draft that is now being reported as fact; then you can see the basis of Bedard's speculative article.

I am a member of BSJ and overall have been very happy with my investment. Happy enough to recommend it. I don't agree with every posting (like the recent Gronk one), but it wouldn't be fair or even entertaining if they agreed with everything I did. ;) Bedard wrote a perfectly valid offseason "what if" article. If others choose to create a narrative that purports to treat it as if it was a likely reality for their own purposes, then you can't blame original author (even though I did write a negative comment)

I agree with Ivan, until there is a contract signed anything can happen. It's a BB choice. I fell that BB would trade Gronk now for the right deal for the Pats. Gronk is a big unknown as far as his physical condition. Can he perform at top performance for the full season or will he be injured and not available for the playoffs. BB will decide, so we will have to listen and read the rumors and trust in Bill Belichick. I don't feel the Brady figures into the decision.
I don’t think this is a fair opinion of gronk.

In 3 of the last 4 years he played all but 4 combined games and all playoff games.

One injury in 4 years (caused by a bone breaking hit) doesn’t make him a toss up for being available.

Note that his prior injuries were not chronic issues that will recur. He blew his knee out like something like 80% of nfl players will do at some point and broke a bone in his arm.
Those are not “injury prone” issues, they are just bad luck.

Many in Miami think the Dolphins believe Amendola will replace and replicate Jarvis Landry and his production. If they attempt to get that much usage out of Amendola this season, he may not be able to convince anyone to do anything by then because he very well may not be alive.

I don’t think this is a fair opinion of gronk.

In 3 of the last 4 years he played all but 4 combined games and all playoff games.

One injury in 4 years (caused by a bone breaking hit) doesn’t make him a toss up for being available.

Note that his prior injuries were not chronic issues that will recur. He blew his knee out like something like 80% of nfl players will do at some point and broke a bone in his arm.
Those are not “injury prone” issues, they are just bad luck.

Can't ignore that he had back surgery in December 2016. Add that to the back issues that caused him to drop to a 2nd round pick and the result is a guy who, unfortunately, has a ticking time bomb of a spine.

Can't ignore that he had back surgery in December 2016. Add that to the back issues that caused him to drop to a 2nd round pick and the result is a guy who, unfortunately, has a ticking time bomb of a spine.
He appears fully recovered from that and played a full and excellent season last year.

It’s just wrong to me when people act like it’s a coin flip whether gronk will make it through a season.

He appears fully recovered from that and played a full and excellent season last year.

It’s just wrong to me when people act like it’s a coin flip whether gronk will make it through a season.

Bedard who started this stuff with his article at BSJ thinks it's very unlikely. He was going on the circa draft rumors, which may have had some teeth until Gronk, Rosenhaus and BB met just prior to the draft. He extrapolated that to the fact he hasn't signed an extension yet. ...He got some push back at BSJ because he promotes it as no click bait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes