PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Florio just won't quit...still thinks Gronk gets traded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok for who? Taking a risk considering this offense will be without Edelman for four games.
You know damn well Bill prioritizes long term gains over short term benefits.

The key question is does Bill think his team is better off in 2018 thru 2021 with or without Gronk and his cap hit being a part of it.

The big question here BB and other GM's are probably thinking is his back.

Another herniated disc and retirement will be a reality.

If Gronk signs a mega deal, like a 5 year deal with Top dollar, either in the Patriots or other franchise, that kind of money means "You play your ass off in every ball thrown in your direction". He will be the main target of that given offense all over the field. There will be no precaution. With all the data we have that means Gronk will get injured sooner or later, the question is the severity of the injury.

I really think the ideal situation for Gronk at least in terms of finishing his career in one piece, is getting something like a 3 year deal with reasonable money and focus on the guaranteed part and trying to negotiate to play more in line than receiving balls in traffic.

I dont get your point about Brady. The only person who has any say if someone gets traded is BB. Not even Kraft has that power unless he wants to look for a new coach. So Brady most certainly has no impact on a possible Gronk trade.
Because I believe Brady has finally learned that he has all the leverage to call the shots in NE now, not BB. If Brady had a meeting with Kraft and BB today and said a certain player stays on the team, they stay on the team. Brady will not let '06 happen again. If the reports were true that the Pats were shopping him during the draft (which I don't believe), I find it hard to believe there wasn't one team that came up with a good offer for the Pats. It's because this either wasn't true or Brady found out and let them know it's not happening. Let's not get it twisted, Tom Brady IS the New England Patriots.

Also the writing for Gronk is on the wall. Sooner or later he will get traded depending on the offers that come in. Unless BB completely breaks with how he has been running the team (or Gronk takes a big discount, lol) there is not much hope for Gronk to get another extension. So moving an attractive asset "a year early" and getting something in return is an extremely obvious move. Especially if that asset tends to break often and is a big hit to his back away from retirement.

In the end as everything else this will end up being a question of value in terms of what is offered.
He'll be traded when Brady retires. I think BB will retire at the same time as well.

Pats have 23 free agents next year including potential big ticket items in Shaq and Trey. They might even try to give Tom a big chunk of change.
Trey is gone if he stays healthy and gets anywhere close to 10 sacks this season. Mason is gone unless Trent Brown fails at LT (he won't).

Last edited:
Trey is gone if he stays healthy and gets anywhere close to 10 sacks this season. Mason is gone unless Trent Brown fails at LT (he won't).

When properly motivated, in the past the Patriots have shelled out mega contracts to OGs and front 7 defenders.

Because I believe Brady has finally learned that he has all the leverage to call the shots in NE now, not BB. If Brady had a meeting with Kraft and BB today and said a certain player stays on the team, they stay on the team. Brady will not let '06 happen again. If the reports were true that the Pats were shopping him during the draft (which I don't believe), I find it hard to believe there wasn't one team that came up with a good offer for the Pats. It's because this either wasn't true or Brady found out and let them know it's not happening. Let's not get it twisted, Tom Brady IS the New England Patriots.

Brady has no more leverage than BB and the Pats front office. Unless he is fine with early retirement that is. His contract makes him easily tradable to any non-contender so retirement really is the only thing he can use and hope that the team does not call his bluff. The reality is that Brady never had any leverage since the early 2010s but created some himself by taking below market value contracts to avoid getting into the value/age/contract trap that makes BB trade players away for assets.

He'll be traded when Brady retires. I think BB will retire at the same time as well.

As we are talking pure gut feeling I think BB has at least another 5 years in him. He doesn't look even close to done to me. Gronk will be traded whenever there will be value offered for him. Which is most probably next offseason. Again, I don't see any connection to Brady here. You don't want Gronk to leave in FA unless the offers you are getting are not better than the 3rd round comp pick he might fetch.

Not that I want to get rid of Gronk at all if possible but given the track record of BB I think we are on a collision course in the upcoming offseason.

Mike still doesn't realize the one reason why he won't get traded and that is Tom Brady.
This Gronk trade talk by the media is really getting annoying.

Is Gronkowski still available in trade?
If the deal is right hope the Patriots will trade him. Gronk is injury prone, never plays a complete season, team has won a SB without him on the field and they need to restock for the future.

Brady has no more leverage than BB and the Pats front office. Unless he is fine with early retirement that is. His contract makes him easily tradable to any non-contender so retirement really is the only thing he can use and hope that the team does not call his bluff. The reality is that Brady never had any leverage since the early 2010s but created some himself by taking below market value contracts to avoid getting into the value/age/contract trap that makes BB trade players away for assets.
Like the Buss family with Kobe Bryant, I think there's a sense of loyalty towards Tom Brady from the Kraft family. Brady could've gone full LeBron James mode and taken control over this team after his 3rd Super Bowl title but he didn't seem like he was that type of player. But I think things have changed. I will eat my words if Gronk gets traded while Brady is still playing.

As we are talking pure gut feeling I think BB has at least another 5 years in him. He doesn't look even close to done to me. Gronk will be traded whenever there will be value offered for him. Which is most probably next offseason. Again, I don't see any connection to Brady here. You don't want Gronk to leave in FA unless the offers you are getting are not better than the 3rd round comp pick he might fetch.

Not that I want to get rid of Gronk at all if possible but given the track record of BB I think we are on a collision course in the upcoming offseason.
Part of me sees BB retire because of his age but another part of me sees BB as a guy that will coach until he goes into Jeff Fisher status. I think Brady's contract expires in two years so I think that's when he'll retire. However, if he wins the Super Bowl this year, I believe his wife will finally convince him enough is enough.

If the deal is right hope the Patriots will trade him. Gronk is injury prone, never plays a complete season, team has won a SB without him on the field and they need to restock for the future.
I believe if they trade him, this will be Brady's last year.

since Josh is the presumed HC in waiting wouldn't he have to sign off on a Gronk trade?
I couldn't imagine Josh doing that.

This is what’s going to happen. Gronk s not being traded

since Josh is the presumed HC in waiting wouldn't he have to sign off on a Gronk trade?
I couldn't imagine Josh doing that.
No, he wouldn't have to. I doubt he'd even be consulted. Just my opinion.

The team has become a soap opera

Shoulda moved on from Brady with garoppolo

I haven't completely dismissed I won't win the next MegaMillions either...but maybe I should.

Bedard is starting to trend into the Felger & Mazz World of Looney Tunes

I'm not a subscriber to his journal, so I don't read him regularly. However, it's not hard in a situation like this to guess that there are motivated parties feeding Bedard info in order to create pressure. Bedard has the incentive to get that word out there to get attention to his site.

I've just generally come to accept that there's been a major increase over the last few years in people connected to the Patriots feeling incentivized to speak through the media to their counterparts. Can't ignore how hot pretty much each and every story about Patriots controversy is these days - it's a tool to be utilized in the eyes of some, whether we fans like it or not.

No, he wouldn't have to. I doubt he'd even be consulted. Just my opinion.
Bill said hes opening his world to Josh trading the best receiver and blocking receiver without Josh agreeing would be quite the opposite of that.

The team has become a soap opera

Shoulda moved on from Brady with garoppolo

The guy just led the biggest comeback in SB history while winning the SB MVP for a 4th time, then turned around and won the regular season MVP again while leading them to another SB appearance where he threw for 505 yards. Moving on from him would’ve been very difficult to do, not to mention incredibly risky.

You know damn well Bill prioritizes long term gains over short term benefits.

The key question is does Bill think his team is better off in 2018 thru 2021 with or without Gronk and his cap hit being a part of it.
Understanding that you are throwing around hypothetical scenarios, I wouldn’t see much need to commit to 4 more years at the moment. That’s a pretty long time for someone who is often injured, obviously disgruntled on some level, and just recently discussed retirement in a passive agressive manner which took them up to 48 hrs before the draft.

When talk started of a possible restructuring, I always took it to mean that they would be looking to beef up the current deal, more specifically this upcoming year. Much like Brady, I think the situation will be revisited down the road, whether that’s in a year, or even two. As a fan, I certainly wouldn’t complain about tacking another year on to the current deal, but I’d be curious to see how Belichick feels. If they’re not even doing it for Brady, it’s hard to see how they’d do it for Gronk.

Part of me sees BB retire because of his age but another part of me sees BB as a guy that will coach until he goes into Jeff Fisher status. I think Brady's contract expires in two years so I think that's when he'll retire. However, if he wins the Super Bowl this year, I believe his wife will finally convince him enough is enough.

I think you are underestimating how much having the two Beli-kids on the staff affects him. Now if Steven moves to prove himself as a NFL level coach away from his father and Brian leaves as well who knows. But I honestly think those two being around has extended BBs window considerably.

We shall see..

I agree with Ivan, until there is a contract signed anything can happen. It's a BB choice. I fell that BB would trade Gronk now for the right deal for the Pats. Gronk is a big unknown as far as his physical condition. Can he perform at top performance for the full season or will he be injured and not available for the playoffs. BB will decide, so we will have to listen and read the rumors and trust in Bill Belichick. I don't feel the Brady figures into the decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes