PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Wilbon: Predicts 9-7/10-6 record for 2008 Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shockingly, those were some of the most lucid posts by Jests fans I have ever seen. Granted, I only read the first 5 or so.

Honestly, with the exception of the usual suspects (Colts, Chargers, Steelers) this schedule looks like a roll. 12-4, barring injury, should be the lowest prediction people are making.

Has it ever occurred to anyone that not EVERYONE in the national media needs to ballwash the Patriots? He picked them to go 9-7 or 10-6, what's the big deal? Try to take off the the homer glasses and realize it is OK for someone to think that they won't do well. Anything can happen on any given Sunday and we know that. I just don't understand why everyone gripes because ONE guy does not think they'll go 16-0 again. He picked us to be mediocre, so who cares? Get over it. Do I agree with him? No. But not everyone sympathizes with the Pats.

Take off the homer glasses?

Listen, this is a guy who, before the playoffs last year, stated he thought his Redskins might go further in the playoffs than the Pats.

He could be trying to be contrarian...he could be a bit more unknowledgeable than he thinks he is about the sport....or he could be just plain stupid.

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

No, it's just his opinion for public consumption, one that doesn't come across as particularly informative or knowledgeable.

Why should we get over it? Your post wasn't particularly conducive to generating insight of any import on the subject.

I suggest you get over it....

Michael Wilbon on WEEI this hour. I hope he addresses his prediction.

He's talking NBA right now. I won't be able to listen much longer. I'll post what I hear, if anything. Otherwise, it will likely be available on weei.com's audio vault.

Holley asked him about it.

"I don't think these guys are the 49ers who went 13 seasons...there are certain defeats that take a lot out of a group, or individuals. I think Federer is going down early at Wimbledon. I think they will be good, but not great. I think they will win the division. I think they will be good but we go through this all the time with teams...Winning 3 qualifies them as a dynasty. But they are not a 'real dynasty' that was the old Celtics. I see a lot of holes on defense. A soft defense. They were unmasked, teams do not fear them anymore. Once the Bears were unmasked, people did not fear them anymore. The populace is drinking the Kool-aid...I said they weren't going to go undefeated, it's too hard. It's too hard to do this year after year. They could get into the playoffs and make a run, but not 14-2."

Paraphrased...

Home Schedule = KC, MIA, DEN, STL, BUF, NYJ, PIT, ARZ

There is no way you can pick any losses out of that group. They could lose any of them, but the likelihood is that they go 8-0 at home.

Road Schedule = NYJ, SF, SD, IND, MIA, SEA, OAK, BUF

SF, MIA and OAK are close to gimme games. That puts them at 11 wins before you really have to put in any thought. Say they go 2-3 against the remaining 5 and you get 13-3...which is what a lot of folks are predicting.

Obviously nobody knows how the teams on the schedule will actual turn out, but rosters and schedule are the only pieces of information you can use when predicting records. If Wilbon can look at the above and pick out 6-7 losses, he is smoking some good stuff...and should stay away from Las Vegas.

Denver and Pittsburgh are the two most likely losses at home, if any. Denver is iffy because, well, they are still Denver. Pittsburgh we'll most likely beat.

As for road games, losses could come @ SD and @ Indy. Indy is the more likely of the two.

"I don't think these guys are the 49ers who went 13 seasons...there are certain defeats that take a lot out of a group, or individuals. I think Federer is going down early at Wimbledon. I think they will be good, but not great. I think they will win the division. I think they will be good but we go through this all the time with teams...Winning 3 qualifies them as a dynasty. But they are not a 'real dynasty' that was the old Celtics. I see a lot of holes on defense. A soft defense. They were unmasked, teams do not fear them anymore. Once the Bears were unmasked, people did not fear them anymore. The populace is drinking the Kool-aid...I said they weren't going to go undefeated, it's too hard. It's too hard to do this year after year. They could get into the playoffs and make a run, but not 14-2."

Paraphrased...

Where to begin to address all this?

Well, first off, we'll find out soon enough about Federer (who, it appears, is on the downside of his career)....

There are very few teams that can be lumped with the old Celtics (Montreal Canadians and New York Yankees), so we can sweep that gratuitous remark aside....

He says he sees "a lot of holes", "a soft defense". I recommend that Mr. Wilbon review the Patriots' off season following the '02 season, and what transpired for the team in subsequent years.

In their "problem areas", such as they are, they've gotten younger, stronger and more athletic. They addressed the needs of the team as they percieved them, just as they did in '02.

This past season saw a Pats' defense that was top 5 in the league - and they've gotten better. I'd be more than willing to pit this D against his Washington Generals - opps! I meant Washington Redskins! Whew!

The Pats were "unmasked"? When did that happen? They lost a game in the last minute, to a team that got hot at the right time, and literally had to pull a rabbit from their hat to do it.

The Bears were "unmasked" the moment they took the field with those QBs they have....That is why no one "fears" them!

Funny, his comment about the Kool Aid....he's been drinking it for quite a while now...

He didn't merely say they weren't going undefeated - he said they were going 9-7! He thinks it's too hard to do this year after year, yet every year, year after year, there are the Pats at the top, challenging at the highest levels for the Grand Prize - year after year!

If this guy wrote for the Podunk Herald rather than the Washington Post, no one in the Universe would be aware of him.

No team in history did what the Patriots did last year, especially given the amount of negative scrutiny the team faced all season long. They were the most focused team ever, supported by the strongest organization in professional football, and the estimable Mr. Wilbon seems to think that's been lost by a single game.

He's a poor observer of reality, and a poor student of history.

He might want to spike his Kool Aid with a little something, to at least make it a little easier to enjoy while going down.

Clown....

Teams don't fear them? I think Herm Edwards and Mangina would refute that. :D

We'll see what Wilbon says after that first Jets game...Mangina's gotta be praying for a September Nor'easter to roll through that weekend.

Last edited:
Teams don't fear them? I think Herm Edwards and Mangina would refute that. :D

We'll see what Wilbon says after that first Jets game...Mangina's gotta be praying for a September Nor'easter to roll through that weekend.

That September Nor'Easter is the Patriots.....recking havoc on all teams in its wake!!

GO PATS!!!

:rocker::rocker:

Michael Wilbon says so many dumb things, its getting annoying to even start addressing half the dumbass shyt that comes out of his mouth.

As for the Pats going 10-6? That's a ridiculous prediction at this point in time. Given the Patriots schedule, anything worse than 12-4 is just completely asinine, and anything between 14-2 and 16-0 is not at all unreasonable.

And it goes beyond just New England's team. To peg either the Pats, Colts or Chargers at going any worse than 12-4 is just silly. They are the three elite teams in the AFC. The balance of power has not changed one bit.

Paraphrased...

Nice job. Thanks!

Soooo, he's backing off a little and with the "Not 14-2" comment he's leaving 13-3 as a final result. Far from the 9-7/10-6 that he was proclaiming. Someone probably handed him the schedule after he made that comment and said "Might want to look at this" :rolleyes:

And he's got a few good points, based on your paraphrase - But what he's doing and what most are doing is discounting Tom Brady, Randy Moss and Bill Belichick's ability to redesign their game plan.

Any team out there that thinks they are going to be ready for the Pat's based on the way they played 2007 is gonna be in for a monumental beat down. I trust in Belichick/E. Adams ability to adapt and change the scheme's up.

Everyone thinks that getting to Brady is the KEY - NO KIDDING! What a revelation. Get to the QB and you will disrupt the game. :rolleyes:

Wilbon's wrong, and I hope these guys keep spewing this stuff - It's motivation that we probably DID NOT need, but are getting by the truck load.

Embrace the Hate in '08 - It's just begun.

Last edited:
Even with a mutiple weeks to re-think his prediction, today on PTI one of the categories for over/under was...

Over/Under: 10.5 wins for the Patriots

"Under, teams don't stay up forever. Not even the great Dolphins team, the 49ers dynasty was the only one that lasted so long in modern football. I don't want them to have injuries, but a fact of football is injuries, guys are going to under perform at some point. 9 or 10 victories. Under for the Patriots."
-Michael Wilbon

Not sure WTF he's arguing. Even if the Pats were 9-7 quality, they'd still probably go 12-4 with their schedule. And even that's assuming that any team with Brady, Moss, Wilfork, Seymour et al would ever be 9-7 quality ,which is a stretch in of itself.

Re: Micheal Wilbon: Predicts 9-7/10-6 record for 2008 Patriots

Would he feel the same if someone said that naybe Wilbon should have his fingers cut off..his tongue taken out..BASICALLY stopping his own livelihood?? EVERYONE would be outraged if that happened with reason, but Wilbon lives on a one way street.

What would it matter... without a brain, the tongue and fingers obviously aren't very useful.

Re: Micheal Wilbon: Predicts 9-7/10-6 record for 2008 Patriots

What would it matter... without a brain, the tongue and fingers obviously aren't very useful.
Gee, is this the same Michael Wilbon who last October said that if he were on an opposing team, he'd hit Tom Brady as late as possible in hopes of injuring him? I'm SHOCKED!

Has it ever occurred to anyone that not EVERYONE in the national media needs to ballwash the Patriots? He picked them to go 9-7 or 10-6, what's the big deal? Try to take off the the homer glasses and realize it is OK for someone to think that they won't do well. Anything can happen on any given Sunday and we know that. I just don't understand why everyone gripes because ONE guy does not think they'll go 16-0 again. He picked us to be mediocre, so who cares? Get over it. Do I agree with him? No. But not everyone sympathizes with the Pats.
Ok, People on this board, including myself can be hardcore; but it's being a fan and the nature of this board. Anyways, Is Wilbon that much more adroit than Vegas? What was the over/under? 12? 9-7 or 10-6 based on the weakest schedule means nothing more than chatter which any columnist is looking for

he did get one thing right. what goes up must come down. just not this year wilbon. it just doesn't add up.

Actually, I think everyone DOES need to ballwash our Patriots. That's not being a Homer, it's just cause we have a lot of dirty balls:D

Actually, I think everyone DOES need to ballwash our Patriots. That's not being a Homer, it's just cause we have a lot of dirty balls:D
LOL. Jesus, that was a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand