PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Onwenu

I assume you mean if anyone knows why (Onwenu) was a late round pick?

Undersized and had days where his footwork was terrible. That's coachable. For someone who's tipping the scale at 350, footwork is everything.

Undersized... at 350?

tenor.gif

He's played well thus far. At least one article I read speculated he'll eventually take the starting RT spot from Eleumenor at some point.
He has the power, length, size, and meanness to be a good lineman for a long time. There have been doubts about his speed and ability to pull and block in space, as opposed to in a tight box, so that bears watching. But he is a good interior mauler, inside run blocker, and pass protector against bull-rush type defenders, even as a rookie.
I've seen him do some great work on delayed blocking to let cam run or escape. Good man to have on the line, maybe a future leader too

He was 380 lbs last year and understandably slow. He’s now trimmed down and moves much better while still absurdly strong.

I assume you mean if anyone knows why he was a late round pick?

Undersized and had days where his footwork was terrible. That's coachable. For someone who's tipping the scale at 350, footwork is everything. If you can't master it, you might as well be a tractor trailer on bald tires.
How is a 350 pound guy undersized? Just curious.

Undersized, yes. Underweight, no.

He is 6'2 or 6'3 (depending on which scouting report you believe) with average arm span.
You're off here. Came in at 6'3 (75 inches), average for a G is about 6'4. His arms are almost 35 inches long too.

Went where he went bc had big time weight fluctuations at UM. He was 360+ at one point. Mobility/COD issues, not much twitch.

He needed a situation like he fell into here. Might not have made it with other teams. We're putting him in spots to play to his natural strengths, spot duty here & there but he's stepped up and really been great.

Certainly not our best OL'm, I think PFF is way off there but he's been such a good surprise.

The way I usually judge an O-lineman is whether or not I hear his name mentioned a lot...usually either with a penalty and/or getting beat at the line. I haven't seen or heard anything from him, which tells me he is doing a great job...just look at our line yesterday, played great. I don't want to go overboard because it is the Raiders, but they played as well yesterday as I can remember.

Thuney, Andrews and Elemunor are all UFA next offseason and could command tip dollar. We’re he’s going to play long term is not really an issue.

Hit on 7 guys from this year's draft class. Probably 10 more from 2017-2019. How they turn out is not on me ;)
Screenshot_2020-09-28-14-05-32.png

Screenshot_2020-09-28-14-05-14.png

Screenshot_2020-09-28-14-02-57.png

I don’t see Onwenu having a very successful career in the NFL at RT. I do think he is fantastic at G and will continue to be.

He’s replacing Thuney at LG next season...Fro will backup Andrews and Elu will be a fixture at RT for years to come.

I have spoken

I don’t see Onwenu having a very successful career in the NFL at RT. I do think he is fantastic at G and will continue to be.

He’s replacing Thuney at LG next season...Fro will backup Andrews and Elu will be a fixture at RT for years to come.

I have spoken
He definitely needs to work in Pass Protection if we want to throw it more..when our offense is like this for years i totally agree..his run blocking is nasty..i remember a scene from yesterday where the run play was already done and he ran the guy he blocked for like 6-10 yards more..

You're off here. Came in at 6'3 (75 inches), average for a G is about 6'4. His arms are almost 35 inches long too.

Ok, Mr. Draft Guru, I'll go stand in the corner now.

Undersized, yes. Underweight, no.

He is 6'2 or 6'3 (depending on which scouting report you believe) with average arm span.

Underranged? :p

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back