PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Onwenu

I don’t see Onwenu having a very successful career in the NFL at RT. I do think he is fantastic at G and will continue to be.

He’s replacing Thuney at LG next season...Fro will backup Andrews and Elu will be a fixture at RT for years to come.

I have spoken
I like the plan. It does require the re-signing of Andrews and Eluemunor.

Combine Owenu's contibutions with Dugger's rise, this could shape up to be a very good draft class if Uche and one of the TEs deliver.

Thuney, Andrews and Elemunor are all UFA next offseason and could command tip dollar. We’re he’s going to play long term is not really an issue.

Thuney is the only one of those three that is a MUST sign.. I wouldn't mind seeing them sign him to a 15M/yr deal and move him to center.

Eluemenor isn't much better than Grant "Turnstile" Williams..

I don’t see Onwenu having a very successful career in the NFL at RT. I do think he is fantastic at G and will continue to be.

He’s replacing Thuney at LG next season...Fro will backup Andrews and Elu will be a fixture at RT for years to come.

I have spoken

What exactly have you seen from Eleumenor that makes you think he'll be a fixture on the line for years to come? He's a significant downgrade from Cannon and he's been the weak link on the line, imho. Nor sure if he was credited with allowing both sacks to Crosby, but he was definitely the guy who got burned on 1 of them.

Another draft night gem by @captain stone. Spot-on, as always. :rofl:

He was like that with Mason and Thuney too. He was seething on draft night when Pats picked Thuney over Le'Raven Clarke (who went 4 picks later) So i'm sure he was like that with other's too like Andrews and Karras. It really is something how worked up he gets over Pats OL in the draft and he's been so absolutely wrong on pretty much every one. Although i'm sure he's taking whatever negative thing he said about Froholdt and Cajuste as a win.

and jennings and ache are future starting LB's, and the rookie TE's will be our starting TE's. Do you have stock in the producer of Kool-aid?
Everyone is obsessed with "the next great thing"... you're right (if I read you correctly) in saying : pump the brakes.

But I'd add (to many posters) : pump the brakes on bashing every signle draft. When you look at historical Pats drafts - even the worst ones - there are always starters to be found. Take 2017, for instance. Easily a "bad draft" but there are still 2/4 players playing decent minutes for this team last week - and one of the four was never able to combat a health situation (Garcia). Take 2016. People cry over Cyrus, a second rounder. But in that draft, they picked a gem such as Thuney. Mitchell WR was key for the SB. Karras was starting C all 2019...

Do you have stock in the producer of Kool-aid?

Well my stock is from the fact that Herron has already seen playing time this season at OT, Eluemunor if he has a full and decent season at RT will most likely get paid by some team in FA after this season, while the Pats have bigger decisions to make in Thuney & Andrews. Then there is the fact that Cannon will have had a full year off and be 33 going into next season if he returns and has cap hits of $10m in '21 and $9m in '22.

I guess they could always find one in the draft or sign one and Cajuste for me has to actually be active like Herron to be a consideration.

But yes, if we are hypothetically talking about which player on the roster could be the future RT, i'll buy stock in Justin Herron being it.

Undersized, yes. Underweight, no.

He is 6'2 or 6'3 (depending on which scouting report you believe) with average arm span.
Correct on the height...the arm length looks fine to me however:

EDIT! Sorry PP2, I honestly did not see the other posts before replying to yours as well...Didn't mean to pile on like that...

Last edited:
I’m impressed with his play so far. He plays with an edge and also through the whistle. Seems to be able to get to the second level as well. Off to a solid start.

Well my stock is from the fact that Herron has already seen playing time this season at OT, Eluemunor if he has a full and decent season at RT will most likely get paid by some team in FA after this season, while the Pats have bigger decisions to make in Thuney & Andrews. Then there is the fact that Cannon will have had a full year off and be 33 going into next season if he returns and has cap hits of $10m in '21 and $9m in '22.

I guess they could always find one in the draft or sign one and Cajuste for me has to actually be active like Herron to be a consideration.

But yes, if we are hypothetically talking about which player on the roster could be the future RT, i'll buy stock in Justin Herron being it.

far enough My order would be Cannon, Eluemunor, Herron

CANNON
His cap hit is irrelevant. Much of that money has already been paid and is signing bonus or restructuring bonus. Cutting him in before 2021 will make any remining signing bonuses hit the 2021 cap. In any case, $6M is fine for Cannon, a solid starter (obviously some here disagree).

ELUEMUNOR
Eluemunor has been OK. Obviously, his re-signing depends on the money required.

CAJUSTE
The team hasn't given up on Cajuste. I suspect that swing backup OT may be in his future. However, Eluemunor may take that job. We are willing to pay low starting pay for that position (as we should).

HERRON
I'm glad that he is getting reps. Sure, he is a possible OT on the 2020 roster. IMO, he is far from starting quality. And, yes, if we think that we need a starter (we don't re-sign Eluemunor and we give up on Cajuste), then we should draft an OT, perhaps in 2nd or 3rd round.

Michael Onwenu 6th round pick 182

120 snaps
69 LG
37 RT
14 6th OL

0 sacks
0 hits
2 pressures

Highest graded rookie (all positions) in NFL PFF.

They may have something. Any draftniks know why he was a late round pick?
Another reason not to get hung up on draft position.

Andrews will get re-signed cheaply... BB loves his binkies and his best fit is here bc hes trash bc he's smart to understand our schemes.

Eluemenor might get to expensive as season goes on, but I wouldnt be surprised if he stays for one more contract...

Thuney's on that phase where the only thing that remains is the physical stuff, but both parties know that this wild party needs to end. He's gonna cash in

far enough My order would be Cannon, Eluemunor, Herron

CANNON
His cap hit is irrelevant. Much of that money has already been paid and is signing bonus or restructuring bonus. Cutting him in before 2021 will make any remining signing bonuses hit the 2021 cap. In any case, $6M is fine for Cannon, a solid starter (obviously some here disagree).

ELUEMUNOR
Eluemunor has been OK. Obviously, his re-signing depends on the money required.

CAJUSTE
The team hasn't given up on Cajuste. I suspect that swing backup OT may be in his future. However, Eluemunor may take that job. We are willing to pay low starting pay for that position (as we should).

HERRON
I'm glad that he is getting reps. Sure, he is a possible OT on the 2020 roster. IMO, he is far from starting quality. And, yes, if we think that we need a starter (we don't re-sign Eluemunor and we give up on Cajuste), then we should draft an OT, perhaps in 2nd or 3rd round.
Agree with that order, and would also place Onwenu ahead of Herron, who is simply Not an NFL RT...dude isn't close to being stout enough for the position; he's strictly a Left-side blocker...

Agree with that order, and would also place Onwenu ahead of Herron, who is simply Not an NFL RT...dude isn't close to being stout enough for the position; he's strictly a Left-side blocker...

Justin Herron is 6'5 and 305 lbs. How is that not stout enough for RT? That's the same height and size as the love toy you had last season in Caleb Benonoch.

You are all over the place with your supposed evaluations. It's truly funny to watch you post and contradict yourself over and over again.. Or just flat out show how you don't know what you are talking about.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back