PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael floyd...

Status
Not open for further replies.
He'll probably be back for training camp, but who really cares at this point.

Agreed, of all the storylines to pursue this one is an afterthought.

To be fair I realize we do have two week in between games so I would imagine every storyline to be covered. For me, I suspect Floyd will be less valuable to the Super Bowl this year than Ochocinco was in 2011. Am I worried about the keeping him for next year? not at the moment

We will know more about what they think of him when we see if they dress him for the big game. Mitchell had a poor game last week with a drop and out of bounds incompletion. He did not look completely healthy to my eyes before the game, so who knows where he stands health wise. Floyd had a poor game 2 weeks ago, but is healthy, and it would not be difficult to replicate Mitchell's production from last week. In warm-ups, Floyd is not as quick or sudden as any other WR; he rounds his cuts, and is nowhere near as fluid as Mitchell, who is our most athletic looking WR. Floyd brings size and strength, however, and they could use that as Bennett struggles through his injuries with diminished production. Could depend on how they each look in practice this week, but none of us will know that.

Mack no disrespect but it seems like you're saying Rookie Malcolm Mitchell is better than a seasoned Five year vet. I have a hard time believing that in Arizona Floyd consistently made Big plays thus his 15.4 Avg per catch. Maybe we are not using him the right way.

Mack no disrespect but it seems like you're saying Rookie Malcolm Mitchell is better than a seasoned Five year vet. I have a hard time believing that in Arizona Floyd consistently made Big plays thus his 15.4 Avg per catch. Maybe we are not using him the right way.
I am only pointing out that BB dressed the apparently still not fully healthy rookie over the seasoned veteran in the AFC Championship game. He must have concluded Mitchell gave him a better chance to win last week. Mitchell will only be healthier next week.

Personally, the way I'm seeing it play out is that he (a) doesn't play in the SB and (b) signs somewhere else next year.

(a) is reinforced by the lineup we saw against PIT and BB's love of strong ST play

(b) is because it only takes one team to make him a strong offer, and it's not clear we'll match. His selection by us, and his good behavior and good study habits here will rehabilitate him in the eyes of other teams, pretty much erasing the DUI incident. After all that, what remains is a physical specimen that can play WR at a pretty strong level. That will get at least 1 GM to whip out the checkbook.​

Too bad, I'd like to see what he could do here after a full off-season.

I am only pointing out that BB dressed the apparently still not fully healthy rookie over the seasoned veteran in the AFC Championship game. He must have concluded Mitchell gave him a better chance to win last week. Mitchell will only be healthier next week.

Practice will tell I really hope Floyd has strong week in Practice.

I think Floyd matches up well with the Atlanta defense & I would hate to see us loose Amendola or a Hogan to injury & be short on receivers

Someone mentioned Slater .....
Love Slater as a specials team player, but I have a lot of bad memories when he has stepped in at receiver.

If I was Floyd, I would offer to play special teams just to get on the field for the Super Bowl.

The dude is big, strong & fast....
I want him dressed for the superbowls, even if it is just to take the top off the defense & block downfield.

i was so excited after his game with Miami / personally i would like to see him next season from day 1...

he could be a real impact playier if all is running well; let's hope it will happen

Stupid question, but couldn't Floyd or someone else on the 46 play special teams in place of lets say Bolden, Brandon King, Mingo etc.? I want our special teams to be solid but would love to see Floyd active along with Mitchell. We need to be aggressive on offense and the Falcons can't cover everybody. Belichick loves guys like Bolden and King but maybe for one game someone else can play that role. Imagine Hogan and Floyd both flying down the field. We could use that with Gronk out and Bennett playing injured.

Even if we only throw to him once or twice, he offers a chance for a big play. Hell, we still throw long to Slater once a year. Super bowl can turn on one play if your offense is struggling.

The million dollar question is "who" you deactivate? In some past SBs, we've seen Belichick err on carrying an extra DB, which is certainly wise.

He may feel that position is more of a priority than carrying an extra WR, particularly since they can change some of the responsibilities of the RB or TE to run routes/act as targets in an emergency situation.

As always, special teams will be considered just as important as the other two phases, so we can't just pick a name from that area either.

Well, you have to count down every single player. Difference between a very athletic receiver and a backup at some other position is, you might make a big play, one play, with Floyd. Can't believe every single player who might not play a snap is too valuable.

Stupid question, but couldn't Floyd or someone else on the 46 play special teams in place of lets say Bolden, Brandon King, Mingo etc.? I want our special teams to be solid but would love to see Floyd active along with Mitchell. We need to be aggressive on offense and the Falcons can't cover everybody. Belichick loves guys like Bolden and King but maybe for one game someone else can play that role. Imagine Hogan and Floyd both flying down the field. We could use that with Gronk out and Bennett playing injured.

It's a weapon. You never know when the short passing game bogs down, or the principle receivers are blanketed.

I don't see any reason it needs to be special teams, though.

Mitchell's earned it. don't see what it has to do with a guy still new to our system.

Floyd was insurance not sure he's active on SB sunday

He might be useful in bunch formations to break Atlantas zone coverage scheme. Doesn't take a lot of playbook knowledge to do that.

But wait! "WR" Slater will be available on the 46!

Ian, please don't ban me.

Seriously, I say take one from STs assuming that 4 wide is an important option in our game plan, unless it's a spare DB because they tend to get dinged in these SBs.
Are you really going to take someone else from special teams if ebner is out? I suppose you could just have Floyd play in Ebners 46 man spot but I don't know if special teams is really something you want to mess with in the super bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes