PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why?? because we have better??:confused: yeah he comes with an attitude and baggage... but it's not like this Team couldn't use his attitude on D. The Bennett Brothers on the same Team I can live with that.:cool:
and his step dad Tony

If Bennett becomes available and the Patriots don't grab him up immediately, I think I'll be done with this team.

I didn't really care before, but I have to admit I am now openly cheering for this scenario to happen.

Anyways, a potential Bennett trade doesn't make sense unless they think they can get something good back. He's going to cost the Seahawks around $8.4M to play for him, or $5.2M in dead money if they trade/cut him. So they're basically going to have to pay him an extra $3.2M to play for them vs. someone else. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

He has two more years on the deal non-guaranteed for $7M and $8.5M (assuming he plays and gets all his roster bonuses) so even if he's lost a half step, it's worth exploring if you can deal with the usual Bennett Brothers ********.

BB seems to have figured out how to deal with them though so maybe. But I expect the Seahawks will want something similar to the Quinn deal.

I wonder how you felt about Andre Carter before he was signed

Wow. That's a good point and I would have probably felt the same and I would have been wrong. :D

I agree with this to some extent, but let the 2014 drafting of Dominique Easley be a reminder that Belichick is not afraid to bring in players who defy the typical physical archetype.

The entire DL is built around positional versatility. Flowers, Wise, Butler and Guy move around the line and play different roles. Bennett's versatility allows him to fill two key missing pieces, the interior pass rusher and the edge setting DE.

The question for me is whether that role is worth $7M of cap space and a mid-round pick, or if a cheaper option will be sought out.

Yeah I could definitely be wrong.

I still maintain that it requires different skill set for a 3-4 etc but Bennett could be one of those guys that can play in either. I don't know.

Ironically Wise is another player I think is better suited for the 4-3.

Again, I'm not saying Bennett or Wise or whomever would not be effective with the Patriots just that it's not a perfect fit which was my original response.

He's responding to my 3-4 vs 4-3 argument and Carter played effectively switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 when coming to the Pats.

I get the concept. I just don't think it means that every player can do what one player did, so a blanket statement like "But Andre Carter", with nothing to support it, doesn't do much for the discussion, IMO, which is why I asked the question. After all, BB's brought in plenty of players who were going to do _______________, only to have them not be able to do it. Hell, just from Seattle in the recent times, we can point to Cassius Marsh.

Bennett would be a nice 1yr rental. Maybe the other Bennett (Martellus) would come back for cheap to play with his bro.

Not a huge fan, but wouldn’t mind having an a-hole on D who plays with some nastiness. Don’t want any dumb penalties though! Just an a-hole who plays with heart and some fight. This team has lacked that at times.

He's responding to my 3-4 vs 4-3 argument and Carter played effectively switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 when coming to the Pats.

Well, yes and no.

Carter, who was a very smart player, came over to the Pats from the Skins in 2011 - the year after the Skins new DC, Jim Haslett, had switched them over from a 4-3 to the 3-4, using Carter as an OLB. Carter did well setting the edge, but his sack numbers fell off a cliff (surprise).

Interestingly, this had happened to Carter once before when, in 2005, the Niners switched from the 4-3 to a 3-4 under Bill Davis, who then used Carter as an OLB (and the next year Carter was back in a 4-3 with the Skins).

Anyway, by 2011, the Pats hybrid 4-3/3-4 was completely installed, and Carter and his experience were useful in both alignments and in both roles.

In contrast, Bennett appears to have been almost exclusively a 4-3 edge-player with situational assignments as an interior rusher, but still almost entirely in a 4-3 context. While, in general terms, such a role is used extensively in the Pats scheme, whether or not Bennett would be capable of (quickly) adapting his previous 4-3 experience to incorporate more 2-gap principles within frequent pre-snap shifts, plus much more emphasis on pure edge-setting, is what's unknown. I'm not saying that he can't, just that it's likely more of a question with Bennett than it was with Carter.

Chris Long adapted very well to the change/variety in assignments, although he didn't like it (which is why he pre-emptively declined to re-up with the Pats).

I can’t imagine his *****ing about the local police department to the media would go over well with Belichick.
"K",
Correct me if I am wrong but I recall BB made a run a Bennett a few years back?
DW Toys

We should get in on this or Wilkerson.
I'd prefer Wilkerson but not Bennett.

"K",

"K' but what does that have to do with a decision made now? Correct me if I am wrong but I recall Belichick's interest predating Michael's Vegas Vacation. If anyone is inclined to think that would factor into his decision making.

I'd love having Michael Bennett come play for the Pats. I doubt they'll do it, but I'd love to be wrong. He plays with fire. I think he'd thrive here and I think the younger guys would elevate their play behind him.

He can still get it done in a major way.

if he wants, bring him in after he gets cut for a look-see.

The Pats need to keep their 6th round picks... we will be looking for a qb in the somewhat distant near future...

And we'll need to bring in another in 3 years... this is getting to be a drain on our drafts... :D

He also has a $4 million roster bonus due in a couple weeks that his new team would be responsible for.

Personally, I expect that he’ll just be released before that bonus is due, and then he can sign with the team that offers whatever combination of money, role, and success that he wants.
He’s also 32. Slim chance he’ll be back in Seattle - not even he thinks he’ll be back.

"K",
DW Toys
That was before whatever the hell took place in Vegas happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye