PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Player Departure Meyers to LV Raiders

Bill the gm will trade a 1st and 3d for Jeudy or similar...way too much

I also wrote about this as well, but I think part of this started last offseason when they offered him a 2nd round tender instead of the first given the seasons he had just put together. It was a difference of about $1.5 million or so, and the fact he waited until June to sign it tells me he wasn't thrilled about it, but did the smart thing and never let it be a distraction and decided to let his work on the field set him up for the future. That and the fiasco that went on probably made him more inclined to move on.

But Ian, that 2nd round tender also allowed him to go out and gauge his value. The Patriots almost did him a favor, right? The fact that he didn't get poached showed that they were right to do it too.

Can we not pretend this guy is the bastard child of Randy Moss and Jerry Rice? He's a nice player, and that's a fair contract, but he's not a true #1. Let's see how it plays out.
I agree. Really liked Meyers in terms of value and effort. A few key 3rd downs really helped the last few years.

This isn’t a building block difference maker. He’s a contributor who was overrated by some and underrated by others.

Agholor was coming off a more productive season than Meyers has ever had.
Going to disagree... the only number that was superior were the TD catches... everything else? statistically similar... and the no TD's issue was something Meyers was able to get over this past season...

Going to disagree... the only number that was superior were the TD catches... everything else? statistically similar... and the no TD's issue was something Meyers was able to get over this past season...
Plus Meyers has been consistent over the years. Agholor had one outlier year

Those numbers on the worst offense in the league aren’t awful.
Tell me, capt. hyperbole, in what league where they ranked last?

Trade Mac and blow this sucker up, they won’t even contend in the division with this ass roster.

I don’t see them trading for Jeudy or Hopkins.

Plus Meyers has been consistent over the years. Agholor had one outlier year
its not even that much of an outlier... still hasn't topped 900 yards receiving, still catches less than 60% of the balls thrown his way...

Ugh... Makes me sick... We gave more to freaking agholor... Bad business right there, not matching or exceeding that deal
I wish people would quit saying this.
How is 2/22 with 16 guaranteed bigger than 3/33 with 21 guaranteed?

Mac Jones is going to try to prove he can be a top starter in this league... without his security blanket!!!!
Maybe that's part of the point, stop giving him the easy short yardage targets that don't generate a lot of YAC?

I get it, it's baffling, but I'm not jaundiced enough to feel the staff didn't have their reasons to not match a very match-able offer.

As others have pointed out, the staff just hasn't been high on Meyers all along, low-balled the offer last season, didn't get out in front this season.

Would also say the rest of the league didn't either. Meyers was one of the best FA WRs on the market, but didn't seem to drum up much interest.

Either way, good luck to Meyers, really enjoyed having him here, hope he does well in LV, hope he invests that money well since NFL is 'not for long'.

I wish people would quit saying this.
How is 2/22 with 16 guaranteed bigger than 3/33 with 21 guaranteed?
In terms of the cap, it's exactly similar. The extra year for Meyers should be there because he's been more consistent than Agholor.

But again, we're trading assets for something we had for free.
I just think Jakobi is more of the same
I won’t mind trading for Jeudy and his 3 million cap hit
Then again depends on his price tag
Just don’t think we allowed Jacobi to go without a plan
Not buying the “he did not want to be here” garbage
We did not want him for a reason

This is where I’m at right now.

this is SUPPOSED to be a savvy analyst who is signaling "it's ALL over" one day BEFORE FA begins. There is still SIX more months before the season starts and rosters are fixed.

Jacobi got the deal he deserved and landed in a place where he'll be appreciated. I'm really happy for him. My gut feeling was he needed to be gone before this offense can evolve. Maybe a Barios might BE a better option in the slot because he is quicker and can get YAC. Maybe its some other guy. MAYBE its KBourne. or a draft pick or an UDFA like Meyers was. Who knows. at THIS point.

God, such drama queens

I’m honestly not as worried about this as everyone else here is. He was a solid player but not not a game changer. If they acquire a game changing player at the same position, the overall group should be fine. Spending $11M on Meyers would have just kept them where they were last year which was not going to get you that far, they’d still need to acquire another guy.
Can't assume facts not in evidence... I think we need to be fully prepared for this just being another one of Bill's quirks where he decides a given player isn't worth re-signing at the same time most of the fan base thinks he is.

This is confusing. We thought we'd lose him cause someone would offer him silly money $15m or more, and that at $12m or less we'd keep him. But this news means that:
a) Jakobi didn't like it here; or
b) Bill doesn't like him; or
c) Bill is confident we can trade and/or draft for something better

But one thing's for certain - we need to replace his production somehow.

In terms of the cap, it's exactly similar. The extra year for Meyers should be there because he's been more consistent than Agholor.
Exactly similar, you say? That does not compute! FWIW, the OP used the word "more".

this is SUPPOSED to be a savvy analyst who is signaling "it's ALL over" one day BEFORE FA begins. There is still SIX more months before the season starts and rosters are fixed.

Jacobi got the deal he deserved and landed in a place where he'll be appreciated. I'm really happy for him. My gut feeling was he needed to be gone before this offense can evolve. Maybe a Barios might BE a better option in the slot because he is quicker and can get YAC. Maybe its some other guy. MAYBE its KBourne. or a draft pick or an UDFA like Meyers was. Who knows. at THIS point.

God, such drama queens
You're asking us to believe it could be Berrios (who they cut, and has never produced like Jakobi) or Bourne (who sometimes shrinks in those dangerous places over the middle) when Meyers has been productive his entire career.

There is no replacement in FA or on the roster for Jakobi.

There may be a trade, but we'd lose a valuable asset to make that trade.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Back