PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Player Departure Meyers to LV Raiders

Can't assume facts not in evidence... I think we need to be fully prepared for this just being another one of Bill's quirks where he decides a given player isn't worth re-signing at the same time most of the fan base thinks he is.
Certainly, but I have a hard time believing Bill goes into the season with just Parker, Bourne, Thornton and a cheap option.

Hardman hasn't cut it with the best QB in the entire league. He's been given the opportunity to be the #1 guy. Why would he have more success with Mac than with Mahomes?
Confused Jim Carrey GIF

Certainly, but I have a hard time believing Bill goes into the season with just Parker, Bourne, Thornton and a cheap option.
If this means we reach with the #14 pick, I will throw up my hands

I’m honestly not as worried about this as everyone else here is. He was a solid player but not not a game changer. If they acquire a game changing player at the same position, the overall group should be fine. Spending $11M on Meyers would have just kept them where they were last year which was not going to get you that far, they’d still need to acquire another guy.
Agree however the concern is this team does not have a track record of drafting/developing WRs so they produce Day 1 nor do they have a reliable replacement on the roster.

Confused Tom Hanks GIF

That's a bold statement, Cotton. I guess I don't see Meyers as that special. Nice player, but should be very replaceable. Like everyone else, I'd like them to get on with it, but we are made to wait. Such is the life of a Pats fans.
So give me a name

Agree, but the confusion comes in when you say "we thought".

"We" keep thinking "we" think the same way Bill does, but "we" don't.

My guess is it is along the lines of (b)+(c), Bill thinks JM just isn't worth the $33M/3 with $21M guaranteed, he thinks he can plug in a JAG for half the price or a rookie for less and get the same production, and perhaps with more upside too.

There was a workaround for (a), just give Jakobi enough money to stay, but clearly they didn't like him enough to do that.
Well Bill has done it TWICE over the years with Welker and Edelman so it isn't a long shot that he can do it again.

BTW I think Jacobi was worth the money he got...to ANOTHER team. Now over the next 6 months Bill will have to find that 3rd guy. The onus IS on him to upgrade the position. My issue is that people seem to think they need to do it in the next 20 minutes. :rolleyes:

Again, I already said I didn't think he was a #1, but the $$ involved should certainly have been reasonable enough to keep him.

I'm not one to normally say much, but it's O.K. to say this one is disappointing and that it's hard not to wonder why the two sides couldn't have gotten something done, unless he was just done with being here after what happened this season.

I agree that it’s a shame that it didn’t get done, I just didn’t expect him to be back because he was rated as the best receiver in this free agent class, and I expected him to get overpaid because of that, but in the end he wasn’t overpaid, he got pretty much what he should have gotten, and they could have gotten that done if they wanted to. I am going to wait until they are done with their off-season moves to pass judgement on how they addressed their receiving corps, I’m hoping they have a significant move in store, but that could be just wishful thinking on my part.

Agree however the concern is this team does not have a track record of drafting/developing WRs so they produce Day 1 nor do they have a reliable replacement on the roster.
This is the exact problem, even if we draft a future hall of famer, Bill doesnt trust them as rookies thus very little production. Ill eat my words if we acquire an impact player at WR but the plan is incredibly blurry and concerning. Every team around us gets better and we seem to be just fine winning 8 games and drafting in the teens

I don't see Bourne as an over the middle dependable possession guy. That to me is the definition of a #2. Meyers was always the second read. When a play is called for Bourne, he's first read. He's a nice little player, more a #3 in this league. I'm not sending Bourne repeatedly over the middle. Not Thornton either. Meyers was the unicorn on this team. Parker and Bourne are interchangeable.
Interesting take, but I disagree. But I'll be there in August at TC and we can revisit these takes after seeing it on the field.

Well Bill has done it TWICE over the years with Welker and Edelman so it isn't a long shot that he can do it again.

BTW I think Jacobi was worth the money he got...to ANOTHER team. Now over the next 6 months Bill will have to find that 3rd guy. The onus IS on him to upgrade the position. My issue is that people seem to think they need to do it in the next 20 minutes. :rolleyes:
I think bills track record in draft and free agency when it comes to wide receivers speaks volumes..

Sanu, Agholor, Antonio brown, Harry, Thornton, Bourne.

Only Bourne is a middling hit.

As for others, we lost a first, a second and around 35 million in FA for 20 games , 900 yards / 5 odd TDs across 3 players.

Meyers gave us 2500 yards over 4 years / 8 TDs at 7 million aggregate .

Now do the math and tell us if we should be optimistic in FA or draft...

This is where I’m at as well. It could end up like the Welker situation. I was seriously pissed off when they let him go to Denver for what seemed like a really easy deal to match. But within. a day they signed Amendola, and then Edelman turned into a great player.

This is where I’m at as well. It could end up like the Welker situation. I was seriously pissed off when they let him go to Denver for what seemed like a really easy deal to match. But within. a day they signed Amendola, and then Edelman turned into a great player.
Difference is other than the QB we did have prime Gronk at the time. This team needs to help Mac as much as it can.

He was unlucky - on his ~5th catch, he made it to the 2yd line I think, and a better throw from TB12 would've resulted in a TD. He had a bunch called back due to penalty, as well.

I don’t there is any doubt that he would have fared better with Brady, as it is he did well in the situation he was in. They could have made a deal happen, it just looks like they weren’t interested.

You also can’t overpay for just “good” out of desperation. They can replace what Meyers gave them pretty easily and for less money.

You also can’t overpay for just “good” out of desperation. They can replace what Meyers gave them pretty easily and for less money.
The Raiders didn't overpay for Jakobi.

This just shows you how much Bill did not value Meyers as much as many of you overrating him on this board did.

In fact, the offense moved better when he wasn’t hogging the targets or even missed games. He can be replaced, and he will not be missed.

Definitely not a fan of this. Real curious to see Bill’s plan because we just lost two receivers instead of adding.

(I know Smith isn’t considered a receiver and valid point but I really hoped he would thrive in a BOB environment so I was holding hope)

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back