PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Player Departure Meyers to LV Raiders

Relax little flowers, BB has a master plan that he developed with BOB. Things will get better, I like Jakobi, but many things are gonna happen to make this team better.. everybody calm down and trust.

Meyers is a nice add for that Raiders offense. Not sure who his QB will be by November though. And I've just about lost all respect for McDaniels. This is a make or break season for his coaching career. Very bad move hitching his future to the most injury prone QB in the entire league. But whatever.

Huge loss for the Patriots. My feeling is Meyers was a must re-sign. He was a good fit here and probably was Mac's most reliable target. Meyers isn't a WR1 but the team needs to fill that spot anyway, they weren't bringing Meyers back as the WR1. He'll fit perfectly into the Raiders WR depth chart.

Meanwhile our current WR depth chart is a disaster. Parker, he's decent but not a WR1. Bourne, I like but he's got a strained relationship with the team and he's not a WR1 either. Thornton, I don't see it, I think he's headed for bust territory. There's no one else worth talking about the WR depth chart.

So as I see it the Patriots need a legitimate WR1. A big name, a reliable 90+ receptions, 1200+ yards, and 8+ TDs. They also need to replace the production lost from Meyers, so a 800+ yard WR2/3. Parker had a really good season with Ryan Fitzpatrick in 2019 but his 7 other seasons are pretty ordinary. He needs to be better. Again, I like Bourne, he was a bright spot in 2021, but then last season happened. Hopefully O'Brien gets him back on track.

I'll say it again, with Mac Jones as the QB, the team needs a very strong supporting cast around him to be successful. Mac doesn't look like the type of QB who can elevate the players around him, so it needs to work in the reverse. It's still early in the offseason but so far things aren't moving in the right direction from a player personnel standpoint.

Sounds to me like he said no to the Pats not the other way around. Sucks but good luck to him and I hope he's shut out against us next season. Lol
1678807944097.png

There is no replacement in FA or on the roster for Jakobi.
Confused Tom Hanks GIF

That's a bold statement, Cotton. I guess I don't see Meyers as that special. Nice player, but should be very replaceable. Like everyone else, I'd like them to get on with it, but we are made to wait. Such is the life of a Pats fans.

This is confusing. We thought we'd lose him cause someone would offer him silly money $15m or more, and that at $12m or less we'd keep him. But this news means that:
a) Jakobi didn't like it here; or
b) Bill doesn't like him; or
c) Bill is confident we can trade and/or draft for something better

But one thing's for certain - we need to replace his production somehow.
Agree, but the confusion comes in when you say "we thought".

"We" keep thinking "we" think the same way Bill does, but "we" don't.

My guess is it is along the lines of (b)+(c), Bill thinks JM just isn't worth the $33M/3 with $21M guaranteed, he thinks he can plug in a JAG for half the price or a rookie for less and get the same production, and perhaps with more upside too.

There was a workaround for (a), just give Jakobi enough money to stay, but clearly they didn't like him enough to do that.

The one thing sticking in my craw over this is: if they weren't high on Meyers and expected he'd be gone, then why draft Thornton over Skyy Moore?
I still just don't see "it" with Thornton...I wish i could be more optimistic on him, but I just don't see it.

Crap. That sucks.
They also liked his arm.. being a former QB.. he could start when IR Jimmy breaks a finger nail..

You're asking us to believe it could be Berrios (who they cut, and has never produced like Jakobi) or Bourne (who sometimes shrinks in those dangerous places over the middle) when Meyers has been productive his entire career.

There is no replacement in FA or on the roster for Jakobi.

There may be a trade, but we'd lose a valuable asset to make that trade.
Well clearly your totally imbedded in Jacobi, so I'll keep this quick. As to Barrios, I don't remember him when he was here, and know little about him when he was in NY, except that he had some nice punt returns and played the slot for them and that he got a "key" 3rd down in a game against the Pats that stuck with me. In other words he could very well be as bad as you represent. I just used him off the top of my head as a guy with a different, more dynamic skill set we MIGHT acquire.

BTW- Why wouldn't you think Bourne might not be the answer in an Adams, Thornton, Bourne WR grouping?

The one thing sticking in my craw over this is: if they weren't high on Meyers and expected he'd be gone, then why draft Thornton over Skyy Moore?
I still just don't see "it" with Thornton...I wish i could be more optimistic on him, but I just don't see it.
How about George Pickens? He's going to be a beast.
Alec Pierce? Same height as Thornton but much bigger, you know, like a real NFL receiver.

Relax little flowers, BB has a master plan that he developed with BOB. Things will get better, I like Jakobi, but many things are gonna happen to make this team better.. everybody calm down and trust.
If you feel optimistic that's fine, but I don't get the desire to push that (largely unfounded) feeling on the entire forum.

Well clearly your totally imbedded in Jacobi, so I'll keep this quick. As to Barrios, I don't remember him when he was here, and know little about him when he was in NY, except that he had some nice punt returns and played the slot for them and that he got a "key" 3rd down in a game against the Pats that stuck with me. In other words he could very well be as bad as you represent. I just used him off the top of my head as a guy with a different, more dynamic skill set we MIGHT acquire.

BTW- Why wouldn't you think Bourne might not be the answer in an Adams, Thornton, Bourne WR grouping?
Juju? Everyone here would change their tune real quick if they signed him. I bet folks would be thrilled with Hardman as well.

Sounds to me like he said no to the Pats not the other way around. Sucks but good luck to him and I hope he's shut out against us next season. Lol
View attachment 50416
I really don't see how one can draw meaningful conclusions from that.

I mean, do we really think if the Pats were offering 14m/per, that Meyers would still have signed with Vegas? Maybe. Seems unlikely to me. Seems more likely the Vegas offer was equal to or greater than anything else he was offered. But I don't know.

My guess (which isn't worth much) is that the Pats didn't match, or they did but Meyers wanted a change of scenery all else being equal. I doubt he turned down considerably more money from the Pats to go to Vegas ... but we'll find out (possibly).

The fact he signed for 10m/per in a market many expected would result in him seeing 14-16m+/per, says a lot more about Meyers' suitors (or lack thereof) than Meyers' handpicking his preferred destination IMHO.

If you feel optimistic that's fine, but I don't get the desire to push that (largely unfounded) feeling on the entire forum.

In that same vein, you're welcome to your own outlook, but it's lame (and inaccurate IMO) to claim that those who see things differently are operating from an unfounded position.

I don't see Bourne as an over the middle dependable possession guy. That to me is the definition of a #2. Meyers was always the second read. When a play is called for Bourne, he's first read. He's a nice little player, more a #3 in this league. I'm not sending Bourne repeatedly over the middle. Not Thornton either. Meyers was the unicorn on this team. Parker and Bourne are interchangeable.

View attachment 50416
Not sure how you come to that conclusion.

Possible Pats held firm in their offer and it is what it is.

View attachment 50416
I’m not sure why everyone reads it that way. I read it exactly the opposite way: “They (Vegas) wanted me … Unfortunately it didn’t work out with the Patriots. I put a lot of effort in my time there.” This reads to me as the Patriots not really making an effort to keep him.

Juju? Everyone here would change their tune real quick if they signed him. I bet folks would be thrilled with Hardman as well.
Hardman hasn't cut it with the best QB in the entire league. He's been given the opportunity to be the #1 guy. Why would he have more success with Mac than with Mahomes?

Agree with this, but I think Meyers is more of a # 3 possession receiver overall. A very good one, but not much of a scoring threat. I don’t think I have ever seen a WR go so long into their career without a TD, then again the poor bastard had the worst QB ( Cam Newton) in the league throwing to him.
He was unlucky - on his ~5th catch, he made it to the 2yd line I think, and a better throw from TB12 would've resulted in a TD. He had a bunch called back due to penalty, as well.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back