PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Player Departure Meyers to LV Raiders

lots of "I don't get it" here...has anyone been following this team lately? Bill the GM is going to replace Myers with Braxton Berrios

I will make a judgement after FA begins
I liked Jacobi but want a more explosive Offense

Lost in all this is that he still led the team in receiving last season despite missing two games and playing the majority of the year with a tear in his knee. People who act like it's no big deal sort of miss how good he actually was. Again, is he a #1? No. But if they could get someone competent and an upgrade from Agholor out there with him, imagine having two guys with 1000+ yards receiving. It's just too bad it didn't work out.

I agree that it’s a shame it didn’t work out, but he clearly wasn’t a #1, and he didn’t get paid like one, he got #3 $$$. The only knock anyone could put on Meyers was that he wasn’t a scoring threat, and that a really good corner could take him out of a game. I think we have to wait to see how they reconstruct their receiving corps to pass judgement on the decision, but I get the criticism in the moment. If the cap space leads to Hopkins then it will be a really good move, but I’m not going to hold my breath.

Wish he stayed but of all WRs Meyers was...

40th in caches
37th in yards
T24th in TDs
40th in 1st down catches
39th in yards per target
31st in catches per game
32nd in yards per game

It seems to me $11m AAV / $21m in guarantees is WR2 money and that is exactly what he is.

He either didn't want to stay or the Pats think hes hit his ceiling.

I will make a judgement after FA begins
I liked Jacobi but want a more explosive Offense
We tried “explosive” the beginning of last season. It didn’t work. Also free agency has already began no matter what the NFL labels it.

40th in caches
37th in yards
T24th in TDs
40th in 1st down catches
39th in yards per target
31st in catches per game
32nd in yards per game

It seems to me $11m AAV / $21m in guarantees is WR2 money and that is exactly what he is.

Those numbers on the worst offense in the league aren’t awful.

here comes bill the gm overpaying for a WR....

I agree that it’s a shame it didn’t work out, but he clearly wasn’t a #1, and he didn’t get paid like one, he got #3 $$$. The only knock anyone could put on Meyers was that he wasn’t a scoring threat, and that a really good corner could take him out of a game. I think we have to wait to see how they reconstruct their receiving corps to pass judgement on the decision, but I get the criticism in the moment. If the cap space leads to Hopkins then it will be a really good move, but I’m not going to hold my breath.
He had 6 TDs last season. His graph has always inched up in last 4 seasons. Something to note of and he performed best ina dysfunctional offense with 2 missed games and a leg injury to boot. Discounting the circumstances under which Meyers played is doing injustice to the kind of year he had . He is not flashy but very effective. If not for him we would have been a bottom 5 team last 2 years. Meyers helped extend drives .

We just were spoilt by Gronk , Brady and Edelman that we refuse to see what Meyers had done in last 3 years with abject QB play and offensive coaching and offensive line disarray.

Again, I already said I didn't think he was a #1, but the $$ involved should certainly have been reasonable enough to keep him.

I'm not one to normally say much, but it's O.K. to say this one is disappointing and that it's hard not to wonder why the two sides couldn't have gotten something done, unless he was just done with being here after what happened this season.

40th in caches
37th in yards
T24th in TDs
40th in 1st down catches
39th in yards per target
31st in catches per game
32nd in yards per game

Agree with this, but I think Meyers is more of a # 3 possession receiver overall. A very good one, but not much of a scoring threat. I don’t think I have ever seen a WR go so long into their career without a TD, then again the poor bastard had the worst QB ( Cam Newton) in the league throwing to him.

Can we not pretend this guy is the bastard child of Randy Moss and Jerry Rice?
Famously Edelman dated Jerry Rice's daughter in high school, so if they had a child out of wedlock your vision would be almost on target. Too bad, it would have been a great story and presumably a great WR in the making, also presuming Edelman survived the ass kicking he'd get for knocking up Jerry Rice's daughter.

Those numbers on the worst offense in the league aren’t awful.
Not at all. Hes been incredibly consistent for the last 3 years.

I’m honestly not as worried about this as everyone else here is. He was a solid player but not not a game changer. If they acquire a game changing player at the same position, the overall group should be fine. Spending $11M on Meyers would have just kept them where they were last year which was not going to get you that far, they’d still need to acquire another guy.

We tried “explosive” the beginning of last season. It didn’t work. Also free agency has already began no matter what the NFL labels it.
But trades cannot be disclosed till Wednesday@4:00
When I say explosive. I mean more than 2 yards YAC. Someone who can get in the endzone

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back