PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McCourty

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The open question is whether McCourty wants to retire.

If he wants to play, we should definitely extend his contract. Instead of having to sign another safety and pay the cap cost, McCourty would likely cost about the same as he will if he leaves ($6.45M). ZERO cap cost is a bargain.

I strongly believe that a deal can be made if McCourty wants to play.

If HT goes, DMAC's leadership will be needed. If Dugger and Bledsoe get another year with DMAC it will only help. Phillips probably doesn't need that, but can he replace it yet?

Watching McCourty live against the Bills I despaired. He had to have been hurt. Otherwise, retirement might not be a bad decision for wither him or the Patriots. aybe he might slip into coaching, I don't know. But I despaired because where he plays, he's typically out of view of the TV screen. I saw him diagnosing things correctly, he had the jump on McKenzie on a lot of those flares, screens and reverses. He knew what was coming.

BUT McCourty did not have the speed to get there. It was sad for a player I consider the greatest Patriot safety of all time.

Watching McCourty live against the Bills I despaired. He had to have been hurt. Otherwise, retirement might not be a bad decision for wither him or the Patriots. aybe he might slip into coaching, I don't know. But I despaired because where he plays, he's typically out of view of the TV screen. I saw him diagnosing things correctly, he had the jump on McKenzie on a lot of those flares, screens and reverses. He knew what was coming.

BUT McCourty did not have the speed to get there. It was sad for a player I consider the greatest Patriot safety of all time.
That simple pass to the right Allen made where McCourty had the angle, but got absolutely burned up the sideline was hard to watch.

Agree we need his veteran leadership. Concerned that the 2022 McCourty has lost the needed speed to cover the deep backfield.
Question is...Do we have someone better? And what happens if "someone better" gets injured?

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
Such great veteran D leadership======================>Zero punts

Just sayin

Such great veteran D leadership======================>Zero punts

Just sayin
Even if McCourty is an average NFL starter, he should re-signed.

The issue is NOT whether he is as good as he was.

Belichick has often done well with veterans past their prime. The question is whether there is a better option at the same cosr.

It would be really nice if Dugger and Phillips can expand on their play in year three together. Dugger still has a ton of room to grow into his role, while Phillips would have to take a different kind of leap. But getting them to the point where they're playing 90% of the snaps at the safety positions allows you to use McCourty in the role that Duron Harmon had while Devin was at his peak: 3rd safety, who comes in to play a deep coverage role so you can disguise what you're doing with the other two. Give him 60% of the snaps instead of close to 100% and I think McCourty can still look pretty good. Hell, we just saw Eric Weddle come in after two years off, with one month to get himself acclimated contribute to a Super Bowl defense.

But I agree, that unless he pulls a Brady-esque physical renaissance, McCourty's days as an every down safety should probably be put to bed.

It would be really nice if Dugger and Phillips can expand on their play in year three together. Dugger still has a ton of room to grow into his role, while Phillips would have to take a different kind of leap. But getting them to the point where they're playing 90% of the snaps at the safety positions allows you to use McCourty in the role that Duron Harmon had while Devin was at his peak: 3rd safety, who comes in to play a deep coverage role so you can disguise what you're doing with the other two. Give him 60% of the snaps instead of close to 100% and I think McCourty can still look pretty good. Hell, we just saw Eric Weddle come in after two years off, with one month to get himself acclimated contribute to a Super Bowl defense.

But I agree, that unless he pulls a Brady-esque physical renaissance, McCourty's days as an every down safety should probably be put to bed.94%
94% McCourty
82% Phillips
68% Dugger

I actually like the roles that Phillips and Dugger have had. We need a 4th safety to take some of the free safety reps. I had thought that Mills would fill that role.

Even if McCourty is an average NFL starter, he should re-signed.

The issue is NOT whether he is as good as he was.

Belichick has often done well with veterans past their prime. The question is whether there is a better option at the same cost.

Which you point out is probably about $99, because if he retires, it costs over $6M against the cap.

It's a tough call. But even if they start reducing DMC's playing time to 60% or so to keep him fresh, and work Bledsoe in a lot more - I have high hopes for him. The leadership and mentorship is very important, especially if Slater & HT retire or are not re-signed.

If hes starter capable, that could allow mills to stay at cb , filling another area of need. Still would need to resign jcj , hope j jones comes back full strength, and maybe upgrade bryant at cb4. Unless wade can help? But that would definitely help getting our secondary where it needs to be and focus on the front 7 this offseason

Its just a thought but.....

How about putting Jalen Mills at the deep safety spot. He showed he had CB speed, but although he improved at CB over the course of the season, he DID come to us with the idea that safety was his ideal position.

My second choice if Devon choses to retire, would be Phillips taking over the spot. He also has CB speed, and playing the FS spot would lighten he physical load as well as get Dugger on to the field for more snaps

Either way I don't see the need to go out and bring in a starting FS in ***ency. Money is likely to be tight-ish. The Pats are likely to be in a cap position where they won't have to get rid of guys to stay under the cap, but they won't be in a position to participate in the first wave of signings come March. I do think we will have room to pick up a few guys later.

I love the off season FA period. The guys you pick up are usually much easier to evaluate because they have actual NFL tape. A guy who is mediocre in one system, might thrive in ours.

All players are "hurt" by the end of the season, and older players will feel it a lot more. McCourty played well, fro what I can tell, for most of the year, but yeah, that last performance was startling.

I hope he's back, with much fewer snaps. They don't need him sticking his nose in to tackle RBs.

I though Bill was a better to be a year too early than a year too late guy? If so then he missed the boat with McCourty.

Its just a thought but.....

How about putting Jalen Mills at the deep safety spot. He showed he had CB speed, but although he improved at CB over the course of the season, he DID come to us with the idea that safety was his ideal position.

My second choice if Devon choses to retire, would be Phillips taking over the spot. He also has CB speed, and playing the FS spot would lighten he physical load as well as get Dugger on to the field for more snaps

Either way I don't see the need to go out and bring in a starting FS in ***ency. Money is likely to be tight-ish. The Pats are likely to be in a cap position where they won't have to get rid of guys to stay under the cap, but they won't be in a position to participate in the first wave of signings come March. I do think we will have room to pick up a few guys later.

I love the off season FA period. The guys you pick up are usually much easier to evaluate because they have actual NFL tape. A guy who is mediocre in one system, might thrive in ours.
I don't think that we have much of an issue at safety. If McCourty goes, I also would expect Mills to replace him. I suppose that Bledsoe is in competition for a roster backup spot. he has no experience yet, but that's fine.

The issue is at corner. We have Jones, Bryant, Williams and Wade. Bryant played in 38% of the snaps last year (williams 24%). I would expect that Bill thinks of Bryant as part of the rotation. Clearly, we need a corner to replace Jackson, although a franchise tag seems possible. My guess is that we will be drafting the best corner available with our first draft pick. Given the cost of corners, that seems the best use of the pick. There will be lots of worthy corners. As always with Belichick, he might trade up or down to get his man.

IF MCCOURTY STAYS
I would think that he would get lots of reps, although a bit less than in 2021. That leaves Mills at corner for another year. Of course, this is the best option cap-wise.

I don't understand how everyone can say that the defense is too old and slow, then say they ought to keep guys like DMC. My theory is that BB likes DMC b/c Brian Belichick doesn't have the respect of the other DBs on the team, so a guy like DMC is needed to keep the room in order. If that's the case, make him the safeties coach, and replace him with someone younger and faster. Brian can go coach at Wesleyan or Foxborough HS.

He didn't. McCourty was mostly fine this year.
Maybe so. However, I don't think moving on from a guy who was "mostly fine", until he wasn't in the playoff game at least, would have been an egregious violation of "a year too early."

What McCourty brings on the field at this point is replaceable with better talent at lower the cost.

I don't understand how everyone can say that the defense is too old and slow, then say they ought to keep guys like DMC. My theory is that BB likes DMC b/c Brian Belichick doesn't have the respect of the other DBs on the team, so a guy like DMC is needed to keep the room in order. If that's the case, make him the safeties coach, and replace him with someone younger and faster. Brian can go coach at Wesleyan or Foxborough HS.
It's a balance.

This system has always valued versatile players who know what to do when they need to do it over athletic one-trick ponies.

It also comes down to economics.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back