PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo's Intoductory Press Conference

Jerod having a pet name ("Thunder") for RKK sheds some light on the "rubbing people the wrong" way reporting.
Kraft likes it. Reminds him of Mingbi calling him 'thunder & lightning' when he farted while he came in 10 secs.

What's with the super secrecy about the whole personnel thing, they told us thru the years that was all down to Bill.

At least with Bill you could say the buck stops with him, that number 3 pick decides the future of the franchise if Wolf likes Daniels and Groh likes Harrison then what?

This is the dumbest situation going, this is the type of thing that happens when ownership wants a say in personnel.
They're still trying to figure out how Bill had it all structured in his chamber of secrets. It takes time.

They're still trying to figure out how Bill had it all structured in his chamber of secrets. It takes time.

Guys…you’ve missed it entirely. The reason no one is concerned is because they know they already secured the greatest draft evaluator in history:

C7F0C82E-63F8-4362-BF22-E6857C95C4B0.jpeg

“Bill You can take 25 years of experience, and all the office **** you want, but the ****ing Dog stays”

I thought the press conference was kind of dull but mainly because the media didn't have very good questions.

At least Robert said that they are "evaluating" the front office but will eventually annoint someone to a role that has final say, and will most likely do external candidate interviews. To me, this aligns with the thought process of them probably wanting to promote Wolf, Groh, Stevens, or someone (probably Wolf) internally but want to determine who the best pick is and are taking their time, and to do so they'll need to do external minority candidate interviews anyway, so they'll talk to guys like Trey Brown etc at that time.
I heard several interesting things:

1. They're going to have titles. That's good. We'll know who's who.

2. Mayo - repairing relationships: who is he referring to? Players (Mac, Trent), coaches (Popovich, Caley)?

3. Evaluating FO, like you said.

4. Mayo talking about his philosophy on dealing w/ younger players. This will open the doors for FAs.

5. Mayo selecting his own staff. He's his own man but learned a lot from Bill. Sounds like he'll keep what works and dump what doesn't. Perfect.

6. Mayo's candid approach. Fans will actually get info on the team.

7. Kraft is 150% confident of his selection. That's a good thing because it means he's All In.

8. Kraft denying any involvement in player selection, except for objecting to players w/ moral character issues (I assume rape, etc., i.e. AB). Also a good thing.

Mayo had plenty of stock phrases/cliches - seems already over his head - Krafty can barely put two sentences together. Vague responses to draft and GM duties. We don't have a HOF coach any longer but at least we got diversitai!

Last edited:
No. This is beginning to look the start of a **** show. I hope we get some clarity once coaching hires and titles are announced. Right now we’re the same team minus BB which does not make us better.
We're better off than the other teams that fired their HC a/o GM. Bill's been gone a week. We have our HC. He's interviewing his staff. FO personnel is being evaluated. A search for outside personnel began.

All of the other teams are paralyzed until they hire their GM a/o HC. We're ahead of the game.

Patience grasshopper.

If the Pats draft MHJ, they don't need MORE WRs when you consider Douglas, Boutte, Thornton, and Parker are already under Contract. Adding Pittman or Higgins just clutters things up and makes it so you take valuable snaps from Douglas, Boutte, and Thornton.
Boutee?
Thornton?
Parker?

vs

Pittman / Higgins

You're not serious.

Why would you want Mayo to be a "Mike Tomlin"? A POS who feels the need to interfere with the game play? Someone who tolerates the "EGO" Melon Heads like Antonio Brown and George Pickens to the detriment of the team?

No Thanks.
Settle down Mother Teresa.

Last edited:
I wish Mayo the best and applaud his career as a player turned coach. I can't help but view him as a fall guy for struggles that will continue with this team. I wouldn't mind being changed from skeptical to inspired, but let's wait and see.
Pretty much sums up my feelings.

Obviously as a Pats fan I want him to do well but this entire situation is just weird. But obviously we don’t know behind the scenes stuff. And while it’s rare for a rookie HC to succeed, he’s almost a clone of Ryans.

Both similar coaching history, both similar players, same position, similar stats. Both coaching for the team they starred with. And both going to pick a QB with a top 3 pick for their first year.

But, I really don’t have much faith in Kraft. He ran Parcells out of town, hired Pete Carroll who eventually developed into a good coach but didn’t do much here, and traded a first rounder for a DC with a mediocre history as HC.

Obviously that DC turned out great but it’s not like he didn’t win the lottery by luckily snagging Brady after every team passed on him multiple times. A guy who made Bill’s job significantly easier by staying healthy, being a perfect piece of clay to mold, and his lack of greed.

I mean if Bill was a scouting genius who snagged him in the 3rd or 4th knowing what he was getting, but he didn’t. He took a chance on a person with large upside like every single gm does in the final 3ish rounds and it paid off.

Not at all ****ting on BB and he deserves all the praise he gets but having the most important position in sports locked for 20 years does tend to make coaching / gm easier than others had it.

i'll say it right now, Mayo will NOT be as good as Bill the coach. not last year, not next year etc.

where he may be better than Bill is maybe he will allow building an actual coaching staff (we had the smallest in the league) one that isn't just Bill's best buddies and guys he can trust. maybe he will hire actual OC/DC and empower them to build their staff. not just throw titles around and hire DC/Special teams coordinators and undercut your OC.

maybe he will delegate to his scouts/personnel people rather than throwing out their suggestions and picking who he thinks is best.

Bill the Coach is still amazing. but Bill the GM the past few years has been absolutely horrible. maybe part of it being his legend/ego just got too big.

I doubt Kraft got rid of bill in a bubble "result not good, bill fired" he probably saw stuff like small coaching staff, undercutting O'Brien. Bill tossing scouts work in the trash and selecting bust kickers in the 4th and going defense, defense, defense, hiring Patricia/judge...and then doubling down on it...

The presser confirmed my initial view.

Mayo and Kraft are tight (Thunder Cat - eye roll), and Jerod seems like a good guy, trustworthy, smart, etc.

Bold move by Kraft to pick someone who has never been a head coach before and put them at the helm of his largest asset. Especially without taking a pause to talk to other candidates.

In the end it is football not brain surgery so let’s see how it goes.

i'll say it right now, Mayo will NOT be as good as Bill the coach. not last year, not next year etc.

where he may be better than Bill is maybe he will allow building an actual coaching staff (we had the smallest in the league) one that isn't just Bill's best buddies and guys he can trust. maybe he will hire actual OC/DC and empower them to build their staff. not just throw titles around and hire DC/Special teams coordinators and undercut your OC.

maybe he will delegate to his scouts/personnel people rather than throwing out their suggestions and picking who he thinks is best.

Bill the Coach is still amazing. but Bill the GM the past few years has been absolutely horrible. maybe part of it being his legend/ego just got too big.

I doubt Kraft got rid of bill in a bubble "result not good, bill fired" he probably saw stuff like small coaching staff, undercutting O'Brien. Bill tossing scouts work in the trash and selecting bust kickers in the 4th and going defense, defense, defense, hiring Patricia/judge...and then doubling down on it...
So your goal is a HC with no authority who cedes all responsibility to underlings?

Press conferences and after game interviews are going to be totally different from what we're used to. It worked for BB for years and we loved him for that, but the NFL has changed, I'm looking forward to this new direction and to see what Mayo and new guys can do with this team. Can't be a worse ****show than we've seen the last couple of years.
It can’t ?

I'll make it quite simple for you. It literally doesn't matter and we as a people need to stop focusing on trivial things like sex, race, creed, sexuality and whatever else you can think of. I understand that you think this is a privilege take.
Save your breath there’s no getting through to the race/gender/sexuality obsessed crowd. Here’s how he should have answered:

DEI is an abomination and all those that celebrate it will be on the wrong side of history. MLK Jr would be an outcast with this group.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back