PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo's Intoductory Press Conference

It's also simply the ration of Black head coaches to coaches and players. You look at the assistant coaching ranks and there's a lot more balance. It's only at the HC level where there is a severe imbalance.
There doesn't need to be balance in all things. That's social engineering. The best thing to do it get out the way and let people interact the way they want to interact. Let people hire who they want to hire.

Because if we do it the way you want it done, it comes down to who decides when "balance" is achieved and that's a job for no human being.

There doesn't need to be balance in all things. That's social engineering. The best thing to do it get out the way and let people interact the way they want to interact. Let people hire who they want to hire.

Because if we do it the way you want it done, it comes down to who decides when "balance" is achieved and that's a job for no human being.
Have you ever heard of unconscious bias?

If you don't have diversity, then you have a monoculture, which means you put obstacles in front of talent because of who they are. I'm glad he wants to make the team culture accessible and encouraging to everyone. It'll only help.
If a player needs a coach to look like him or be buddy-buddy with him or be a similar age, etc. in order for him to work his ass off and do his best he's in the wrong business.

You mustn't have visited Boston in the last 20+ years.
Every year. It’s def better, but been to a Celtics game recently at the Garden? I was last year…only place I’ve heard the N word spoken by white people other than a random throwback hillbilly in Gwinnett County a few years ago at a Hooters.

Anecdotal, maybe isolated but I did hear it with my own ears and was embarrassed by it.

When statistics are outlier, people ask why. And when the answers come back, some people will not like them because they prefer the status quo. This is why stats are important. They tell a story. Unless you have a better explanation for why they are so out of whack. Im sure the NFL would love to hear them.

And to top it all off, as soon as get some internal emails from the likes of Snyder or the Texans owner, it's no wonder that things have proceeded as they have for so long. Houston no doubt was so embarrassed by those details that they hired Demeco Ryans.

We have a diverse owner who somehow managed to win 6 titles.

Did the previous coaching regimen leave titles on the line because they weren't monocultural enough?

If the players are happy to have a black coach, what does that mean?

Does it mean they would be unhappy with a white coach?

Yikes indeed.

A couple of years ago I didn't get a consulting gig because I'm an SWM Boomer, and the CEO of the organization believed that the work would be far better received by her staff if done by a younger person of color. I thought about it for a few minutes and agreed with her. Plus, most of my career, I'd had doors open to me and been accepted as credible in part because I'm a SWM.

So I offered to mentor whomever she picked as a consultant, to teach some of what I've learned over the years. Worked out great. There's a young Black consultant out there who has benefited from mentoring that I got when I was her age, and that otherwise wouldn't be easily available to her. But she can now do the same. That's the system rebalancing. It'll be awkward for a while, but in a historical context, that's an insignificant detail.

POTM

Tomlin wasted Bens career.
Ben…

Come on.

Scumbag rapist, massively overrated diva who had AMAZING talent around him at all times. Brady wins 10 Superbowls with Ben’s supporting cast wether Tomlin is coach or not.

When statistics are outlier, people ask why. And when the answers come back, some people will not like them because they prefer the status quo. This is why stats are important. They tell a story. Unless you have a better explanation for why they are so out of whack. Im sure the NFL would love to hear them.

And to top it all off, as soon as get some internal emails from the likes of Snyder or the Texans owner, it's no wonder that things have proceeded as they have for so long. Houston no doubt was so embarrassed by those details that they hired Demeco Ryans.
I mean…looks like a good hire so far.

We’ll see.

A couple of years ago I didn't get a consulting gig because I'm an SWM Boomer, and the CEO of the organization believed that the work would be far better received by her staff if done by a younger person of color. I thought about it for a few minutes and agreed with her. Plus, most of my career, I'd had doors open to me and been accepted as credible in part because I'm a SWM.

So I offered to mentor whomever she picked as a consultant, to teach some of what I've learned over the years. Worked out great. There's a young Black consultant out there who has benefited from mentoring that I got when I was her age, and that otherwise wouldn't be easily available to her. But she can now do the same. That's the system rebalancing. It'll be awkward for a while, but in a historical context, that's an insignificant detail.
Hat tip.

I'm glad you was ok with being openly discriminated against in the work place. That's very tolerant of you.

I mean, it's against the law and crazy but who am I to tell you how to feel.

You keep saying the same things over and over. As if to say you think we're too dense to understand it.

I implied very strongly and let me just flat out day it.

If the players care what color their coach is then their priorities aren't right.

You seem very triggered by what you perceived as lack of tolerance or understanding. I'm sorry you can't have a nuanced discussion about why it can both be important to Mayo while also being completely and utterly irrelevant

The color of his skin isn't gonna translate into wins one way or the other so again, it was fair to question why it matters.

I know why it matters and I don't care.
In that case it’s fair for me to question why you, and a select other people, have such a problem with someone referencing diversity without getting uncomfortable and annoyed. Racial issues are very relevant, particularly in sports. Trying to ignore that is ignoring the reality of professional sports and really society as a whole.

The fact that you can’t understand why black players are happy for a black coach and former player is just telling that you don’t comprehend societal challenges individuals continue to face.

The players and Mayo will care about winning above all else. Not only because they are competitors but they play to win for their jobs and new contracts. Diversity and a priority of winning are not mutually exclusive. Kraft believes Mayo is the most capable, the players believe he is a great leader, his resume of leading a good yet banged up defense with the backdrop of a historically garbage offense give him credibility beyond what some of you appear to consider merely a diversity hire.

Sad fact.

In that case it’s fair for me to question why you, and a select other people, have such a problem with someone referencing diversity without getting uncomfortable and annoyed. Racial issues are very relevant, particularly in sports. Trying to ignore that is ignoring the reality of professional sports and really society as a whole.

The fact that you can’t understand why black players are happy for a black coach and former player is just telling that you don’t comprehend societal challenges individuals continue to face.

The players and Mayo will care about winning above all else. Not only because they are competitors but they play to win for their jobs and new contracts. Diversity and a priority of winning are not mutually exclusive. Kraft believes Mayo is the most capable, the players believe he is a great leader, his resume of leading a good yet banged up defense with the backdrop of a historically garbage offense give him credibility beyond what some of you appear to consider merely a diversity hire.

I told you that I understand it. I said I don't care.

I think it's disgusting actually.

It's not the progress you think it is.

But thank god gen z players don't have a boomer coach being too hard on them. That should translate into a healthy workplace and trickle down to wins.

Can't wait.

I hope this organization is not transitioning to one which cares most about being loved by Goodell and the NFL.

Winning focus should not be lost.
I will credit Bill for always focusing on winning, even though his GM decisions were way off in the past 5 years.

I told you that I understand it. I said I don't care.

I think it's disgusting actually.

It's not the progress you think it is.

But thank god gen z players don't have a boomer coach being too hard on them. That should translate into a healthy workplace and trickle down to wins.

Can't wait.
What is disgusting? Black players being happy for the success of a black coach?

Oh and in case you forgot per all the stories that have been leaked, Foxboro under Belichick since Brady left hasnt exactly been the definition of a “healthy work place”! And it certainly hasn’t trickled down to wins.

What is disgusting? Black players being happy for the success of a black coach?

Oh and in case you forgot per all the stories that have been leaked, Foxboro under Belichick since Brady left hasnt exactly been the definition of a “healthy work place”! And it certainly hasn’t trickled down to wins.

Yes. It's disgusting that the players care about the color of their coach. I thought were not supposed to care about color? Or only some of us? I don't believe in affirmative action. Mostly because it's discrimination.

I'm aware that Bill harbored a unhealthy workplace. That's my point. Boomer is out, millennial is in, gen z is happier.

In regards to diversity and inclusion, Mayo said he wants the locker room to look a certain way, the way the world "should" look. That to me is concerning. The looker room doesn't need to look like anything but a bunch of winners, football players and coaches who are good and can win games. DEI is communist nonsense, it's a branch of critical theory and it has no place in a meritocracy. Football (and professional sports) is the ultimate example of meritocracy, performance and talent based profession. Get that commie/marxist drivel the **** out of here

In regards to diversity and inclusion, Mayo said he wants the locker room to look a certain way, the way the world "should" look. That to me is concerning. The looker room doesn't need to look like anything but a bunch of winners, football players and coaches who are good and can win games. DEI is communist nonsense, it's a branch of critical theory and it has no place in a meritocracy. Football (and professional sports) is the ultimate example of meritocracy, performance and talent based profession. Get that commie/marxist drivel the **** out of here
You must hate the salary cap

I feel bad for Mayo if that happens, because I don't think it will be him making that decision. Let Mayo start fresh with his own QB, don't saddle him with Belichick's problems.

And if they come back with Mac, no one can hold the Patriots' record against Mayo.

Having NO CHANCE at winning enough because your QB sucks is absolutely demoralizing for the entire offense.

This is a new day -- don't saddle Mayo with that.

If Kraft forced Mac on BB, I don't see why he wouldn't do the same to Mayo especially if Kraft believes Belichick sandbagged Mac.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back