PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo will be the new HC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terrible decision if true. He doesn’t have the experience nor enough knowledge about the offensive side of the team and that’s where we need the most help .
You literally have Jim Harbaugh who just won a national championship. Led the 49ers to a Super Bowl appearance and 3 straight nfc championship appearances and Kraft is hiring his golden boy? That would be a disaster. He’s only been a coach for 4 years and we don’t need a defensive minded guy. This team needs to be in sync with the modern nfl if Kraft is serious about winning.

You literally have Jim Harbaugh who just won a national championship. Led the 49ers to a Super Bowl appearance and 3 straight nfc championship appearances and Kraft is hiring his golden boy? That would be a disaster. He’s only been a coach for 4 years and we don’t need a defensive minded guy. This team needs to be in sync with the modern nfl if Kraft is serious about winning.
I have to agree with you.
Harbaugh is by far the best candidate followed by Vrabel then Ben Johnson or Slowik.
Eric Bienemy and Mike McDonald calling plays for a dominant defense.
I love Mayo but can be be a DC first?

That could work but then what is Mayo bringing to the table as an HC? BB's ability to be on both sides of the field showing guys pointers on techniques is unparalleled. Mayo can do that for defense and maybe some game planning. We lack info on what makes Mayo so coveted. I guess I'm still trying to accept the huge step down from BB.
I think it’s a bit of a mystery to all of us right now. He’s born and bred in the NE defense, ran it on the field for years and then helped coordinate it as a coach, so he should be pretty secure there. Offensively, yeah, anyone’s guess. It seems like he’s considered very bright and a great leader but that’s hard to quantify.

This is even weirder. You don't even have consistent knowledge of the guy and you're defending him from afar.
Definity a FAN CLUB MEMBER.
Your a journalist? A consumer advocate? A union rep?
I have no idea what kind of person thinks a media member broadcasting fed information needs a voice in his corner. Carry on narrative monitor.
I saw his reporting on this be consistent for the last couple years and yet consistently got **** on for not having a clue here. I made the comment that he was right and not really shocking he would have sources given his history and platform.

You are the one who had a weird problem with an observation. I assume you are one of the people who kept saying he has no clue the entire time?

Terrible decision if true. He doesn’t have the experience nor enough knowledge about the offensive side of the team and that’s where we need the most help .

Yup. I'll be very disappointed if Mayo is chosen over the likes of Vrabel, Harbaugh, Flores, Ben Johnson, etc. Seriously, WHAT has Mayo demonstrated to qualify him as head coach? He might have leadership qualities and be a bright guy, etc. but he's only coached four years and not even at the coordinator level.

I think it’s a bit of a mystery to all of us right now. He’s born and bred in the NE defense, ran it on the field for years and then helped coordinate it as a coach, so he should be pretty secure there. Offensively, yeah, anyone’s guess. It seems like he’s considered very bright and a great leader but that’s hard to quantify.
Let's also consider the track record of former assistants doing really bad once leaving BB. OBrien is the lone exception in that department. Coaches under BB seem to fail to appreciate all that he does for them.

Exactly what he said.
Mayo is basically bill 2.0. When Jerry jones fired Tom Landry, they hired Jimmy Johnson and it worked out pretty well. It’s crucial we don’t **** this up otherwise it’s going to be a painful next couple of years

The diversity hire argument makes no sense. In what way does his skin color help the team? I doubt Boston sports fans will say “well we are 4-13 again in 2024 but at least our coach is a minority, so it’s fine”

The fact that his skin color doesn't help the team doesn't change the reality that there are real pressures and even incentives to hire minority candidates as head coaches, especially for teams that have never had a minority HC. If Mayo is hired as the HC it won't be exclusively as a diversity hire, but it's silly and dishonest to assume that it can't be a factor.

Mayo probably is the best choice.
He knows nothing but the Patriot way. All of the processes, systems and culture BB has embedded in the franchise can stay in place. He knows as much about a BB defense as anyone so should be able to continue some level of its success.
We are likely in for a long run of being on the outside looking in, so might as well give the good soldier a shot.

I saw his reporting on this be consistent for the last couple years and yet consistently got **** on for not having a clue here. I made the comment that he was right and not really shocking he would have sources given his history and platform.

You are the one who had a weird problem with an observation. I assume you are one of the people who kept saying he has no clue the entire time?
Nope. Been a fan of Curran right up until he jumped on the "**** On BB Bandwagon" and now I know why he did. He knew Mayo was next in line (correctly-no doubt) and added to a groundswell that would expedite that transition, much to his benefit.
Now I know why you defended him and now you know why I currently dislike him.

Not Even close.
Yet we want Caleb Williams or Marvin Harrison as the number 1 pick.

It 100% is.

You have reasons you don't want Mayo as HC? Ok state them like any reasonable person and others have such as not enough experience, not DC on his own or not wanting Bill's disciples.

But no - it is all about it being a "diversity hire". When someone does not discuss the merits of a subject and just jumps to the person's skin color it is 100% racist.

There have been plenty of non minority hires that did not have "enough experience" but for some reason their skill colour is never the reason. But if you are Black it's all about it.

Last edited:
The fact that his skin color doesn't help the team doesn't change the reality that there are real pressures and even incentives to hire minority candidates as head coaches, especially for teams that have never had a minority HC. If Mayo is hired as the HC it won't be exclusively as a diversity hire, but it's silly and dishonest to assume that it can't be a factor.
If Mayo were hired by another team as HC we would get a draft pick (3rd I think) for developing him. It seems like we should get one for hiring him ourselves. Anyone know that rule?

The thing is, we have the assets for someone like vrabel ben Johnson or Harbaugh to come here. We already have a good defense and 88 mil in cap space and because of a horrible jets game, the number 3 overall pick. Those are good selling points.

It 100% is. He has a problem with Mayo he can say he can state the reasons.

You have reasons you don't wsnt Mayo as HC? Ok state them like any reasonable person and others have such as not enough experience, not DC on his own or not wanting Bill's disciples.

But no - it is all about it being a "diversity hire". When someone does not discuss the merits of a subject and just jumps to the person's skin color it is 100% racist.

There have been plenty of non minority hires that did not have "enough experience" but for some reason their skill colour is never the reason. But if you are Black it's all about it.
In fairness the league has a policy that encourages hiring based upon skin color, so acknowledging that doesn’t require any personal feelings about any individual or his race.

Mayo probably is the best choice.
He knows nothing but the Patriot way. All of the processes, systems and culture BB has embedded in the franchise can stay in place. He knows as much about a BB defense as anyone so should be able to continue some level of its success.
We are likely in for a long run of being on the outside looking in, so might as well give the good soldier a shot.
The belichick way hasn’t worked since 2018 dude

It 100% is. He has a problem with Mayo he can say he can state the reasons.

You have reasons you don't wsnt Mayo as HC? Ok state them like any reasonable person and others have such as not enough experience, not DC on his own or not wanting Bill's disciples.

You are entitled to your thoughts and feelings they are valid.
Name one white HC who didn’t have a coordinator position in the NFL or college ranks get a HC job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes