PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo negotiations + OC interviews next week

Would love to hear some names that posters would like to see at OL coach? I have no idea what real OL coaches are available. If they interviewed Klemm for OC then he probably could be a good OL coach but I have no idea.
Doug Marrone would be the best outcome, but he might be under contract with the Saints and unable to leave. He and O’Brien go way back, professionally to the 1996 Georgia Tech staff and personally a few years earlier than that when Marrone and (now) Mrs. O’Brien introduced each other to their future spouses.

Mike Devlin was the OL coach for O’Brien’s last 5.25 seasons in Houston. He’s the assistant OL coach in Baltimore. Texans fans generally weren’t happy with the performance of the OL those seasons.

O’Brien wanted Brian Ferentz (2011 Pats TE coach, now Iowa OC) to be his OL coach in Houston, and it was erroneously reported that he was taking the job. He’s been Iowa’s OC for six years, and it seems to have run its course. Fan reaction was comparable to that toward Patricia this season.

Still out on Klemm. Wasn't he basically looking for jobs in the 21 season while with the Steelers?
As in he wanted to leave? is that a knock on him as an oline coach?

I think Belichick likes Patricia and would find another job for him, but it might be too much to live down and a clean break would be better for Patricia.
Perhaps Bill knows a college lacrosse team that needs a coach.

As in he wanted to leave? is that a knock on him as an oline coach?
Interviewing for jobs while still employed and actively coaching a team?

Would love to hear some names that posters would like to see at OL coach? I have no idea what real OL coaches are available. If they interviewed Klemm for OC then he probably could be a good OL coach but I have no idea.

Here are some names that crossed paths with BoB that have O-line experience.
1. Doug Marrone
2. Eric Wolford
3. Mike Devlin

I also tried googling who the best college o line coaches are and found a list of salaries for O-line coaches. Someone from this list might be a good idea too. Klemm is in the top 10.

Besides the names above, I wonder if Bill & BOB would also consider from the college ranks former BC HC Steve Addazio (now the OLC at Texas A&M) and UNC OLC Jack Bicknell Jr, both of whom have obvious local (if not Pats-specific) ties...

You seem to assume that because someone does a good job as an OC for a couple of years that he is then qualified to our NFL coach. You presume that because Mayo does a good job with the Defense that this means that he would be a good HC.

I strongly disagree. Talk to the teams that have hired top coordinators. Do all of them work out as HC's. Josh says hi.

The responsibilities of a HC are very different from that of a coordinator.
I actually agree with all your points except about me assuming or presuming anything.

Let's take it one step at a time. When are we talking about:

1. 2019 when our TEs were LaCosse, Izzo & an aging Watson?
R. Bill is to blame for putting together that sh*t show.
2. 2020 when our TEs were Asiasi, Keene & Izzo?
R. Bill is to blame for putting together that sh*t show.
3. 2021-22 when our TEs were Henry & Smith?
R. Caley finally had something to work with, here's the TE production compared to their previous career averages:
Henry (LAC): 49/580.5/5.3 TD
Henry (NEP): 46/556/5.5 TD

Smith (TEN): 28.5/325.5/4 TD
Smith (NEP): 27.5/269.5/0.5 TD

Henry seemed to click right away. His production is similar to what it was w/ Chargers. Smith didn't seem to get it. I guess we can blame that on the coaching but I remember last season people complaining about McD not using TEs in the RZ. Or, these players are who they are.

To me, there's too much emphasis on the coaches being responsible for the production of the players. I'm one that puts the burden on the players. These are 4-yr veteran TEs. Caley wasn't going to teach them how to be a TE. All he could teach them was the Patriots terminology, play book, concepts/schemes/routes, etc. He wasn't going to turn Henry into Kelce or Smith into Kittle, just like Judge wasn't going to turn Mac into Mahomes.

At some point we need to begin to realize that talent matters. There isn't an OC out there that's going to magically double the '21 offensive production w/ these same players.

On a lighter note. Lol

Hmmm. Maybe from that Johnny Cash song, "John Henry" the hammer swinger?

Besides the names above, I wonder if Bill & BOB would also consider from the college ranks former BC HC Steve Addazio (now the OLC at Texas A&M) and UNC OLC Jack Bicknell Jr, both of whom have obvious local (if not Pats-specific) ties...
As a BC alum I can’t root for Addazio to get a job with the patriots. He seems like more of a motivator than a competent coach.

Yup. That’s what I had heard as well. Not going to judge him for it though. No idea what the complete story is. How he was being treated, how he was approached etc. Is he a good coach? I have no idea, but if they hire him, then that means plenty within the org thinks he is. In which case, hopefully he learned a little bit about some loyalty, or at the minimum, fulfilling your commitments.

There's a difference between fast and quick.
Mac being hurt impacted his ability to run and get some yards. He is decently athletic. I hope he self realizes it so that he can be a quasi dual threat and not be someone who is worse than Brady in scrambling . I feel this season mentally Mac was shot down . Hopefully with Bob back, he reverts back to mean and starts performing the way he is expected to.

And can we recoup some cost out of Jonnu through some decent performances. If Jonnu remains the dumb TE, just use him as a fullback.

Here are some names that crossed paths with BoB that have O-line experience.
1. Doug Marrone
2. Eric Wolford
3. Mike Devlin

I also tried googling who the best college o line coaches are and found a list of salaries for O-line coaches. Someone from this list might be a good idea too. Klemm is in the top 10.

OK. Let me get this out of the way.
I was wrong. I really didn't think BoB had a chance to get hired with Mayo being the AHC.

Now, that being said. I can also admit I missed some factors.

-It's going to be at least 2years before Mayo becomes the HC.
-There are likely still more hires to come on the OC side. QB Coach. O-Line Coach. Possibly TE Coach.
-BoB stayed 2 years at Penn State and 2 years at Alabama. If he's agreed to that, even verbally, that will help right the ship.
- BoB brings some needed experience to the table that BB doesn't have. That's recent experience coaching college kids successfully. He also brings experience that Mayo can rely on and that can impart good knowledge onto others. Such as McCardell, Jefferson or Klemm. Or whomever else is hired for the Offensive side of the ball.

If Klemm is hired as the Asst. O-Line coach with Yates, that would also help things. Klemm wasn't on my radar, but looking into what he's done, he's got a good resume going. And Scar liked what he saw. That's pretty good to hear.
If the Pats hire Jefferson or McCardell as the WR coach and Asst OC, then I could see one of them stepping in to the OC spot in two years with Mayo as the HC. This would mean, though, that Troy Brown is being moved to a different position. Maybe Asst Special Teams coach where he can continue to coach returners and learn other aspects.

Without any context or background information it's hard to judge.

Doug Marrone would be the best outcome, but he might be under contract with the Saints and unable to leave. He and O’Brien go way back, professionally to the 1996 Georgia Tech staff and personally a few years earlier than that when Marrone and (now) Mrs. O’Brien introduced each other to their future spouses.

Mike Devlin was the OL coach for O’Brien’s last 5.25 seasons in Houston. He’s the assistant OL coach in Baltimore. Texans fans generally weren’t happy with the performance of the OL those seasons.

O’Brien wanted Brian Ferentz (2011 Pats TE coach, now Iowa OC) to be his OL coach in Houston, and it was erroneously reported that he was taking the job. He’s been Iowa’s OC for six years, and it seems to have run its course. Fan reaction was comparable to that toward Patricia this season.
It's funny though that we're talking about players not liking Patricia, and Marrone is suggested. He is one of the most universally disliked coaches by the players.

Perhaps Bill knows a college lacrosse team that needs a coach.
Bill has a NUMBER of ways to keep Patricia gainfully employed with the Pats and out of range of the ire (justly or unjustly) of the fans and media.

He already has some Front Office experience helping with contracts, personnel, and scouting. If the new Ernie Adams isn't his gig, he can be the new Nick Casserio. A front office guy who can come out and do some coaching during camp. I'm thinking a "special projects" guy. A combination of Ernie Adams crunching numbers on out of the box angles. Scouting, coaching, and a voice to bill from the box. Another pair of hands, but one who isn't involved with day to day, moment to moment grind that exists during the season..

I think he'd be good at it.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back