PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo negotiations + OC interviews next week

I don’t think it’s possible to promise the future head coaching gig to anyone in writing
Agree. All of the Nostradamus' wannabes think they can foretell the future without any actual evidence.

Why would a good businessman take flexibility away from ANY future decision such as hiring a successor? They know better because they have no idea all of the variables that might change between the current unknown and the future one - especially a guy like Kraft with the crazy unpredictable scenarios of Parcells and Belichick's hires in his memory bank.

BEST answer of what a savvy business might put into a contract regarding any aspect of the future: the word "consider".

I think several things give people the impression Caley could've done the job well:

1. He's the longest tenured O coach and is rumored to know the playbook well;
2. McDaniels tried to poach him;
3. He's been requested for OC interviews on other teams.

You're right though, none of us knows squat what his capabilities are.

All we know is what we've seen on the field from the position he's coached for the past Four seasons... and it Sucks.

Last edited:
What exactly has Mayo done to be elevated to coach in waiting? They only offered him the role to spare the franchise the embarrassment of losing a promising coach to nepotism.

BOB has the superior resume and the NFL is an offensive game. If they lose BOB because of this, they’ll all (BB & Mayo) deserve to get fired after another 9-8 season. This franchise is quickly becoming a joke.
1) Mayo is the DC or co-DC of a defense that is the only properly functioning unit of this team and they are functioning at a very good to high level

2) He is a former really good player with a high football IQ who commands players respect

3) If you listen to his interviews, he is very impressive and very easy to see him impress anyone, including other owners, during interviews

4) No chance he gives up DC or HC interviews if some sort of promise of something big was not made just to remain an LB coach/nameless DC here

5) BO - other than be successful when his QB was Brady when every other OC with Brady was successful - was mediocre at best in the NFL. Kicking the tires on him is a sign of desperation more than anything else. If BB was not that old and he had the willingness, time and energy to train more people I doubt he would go with him

Last edited:
That was due to Patricia's spacing or lack their of.

"Lack thereof"

Patricia might not be a good teacher or charismatic, but he is smart enough to provide adequate spacing. Your comment does not add up.

But the TE coach doesn't call the plays or even designs them, that I'm aware of. I'm not defending Caley because the fact is he's been the TE coach for a while w/ very poor production from that group.

However, he was given trash to work with and then two FAs, one of which didn't produce even under McD. He doesn't buy the groceries or call the plays so I'm not sure we can 100% judge him. Or he really does suck ass.

Then you can never judge any position coach. It is always the Head Coach, OC and DC's fault. Cushy job to have no responsibility.

Some people say Troy Brown has disappointed as the WR coach, but Caley is OK as the TE coach. Troy is responsible but Caley is not? :oops:

Then you can never judge any position coach. It is always the Head Coach, OC and DC's fault. Cushy job to have no responsibility.

Some people say Troy Brown has disappointed as the WR coach, but Caley is OK as the TE coach. Troy is responsible but Caley is not? :oops:
I'm not some people. They're all responsible, including the players, but if you're looking for someone to blame, that's easy: Bill Belichick. For years we've heard there isn't a decision made that Bill isn't involved in, so this entire season is on him.

Yeah, I'm all for keeping Mayo and bringing BOB. Mayo can build his case as assistant HC. BOB can build his case by resurrecting the offense. If one succeeds, he's the next HC. If both succeed, great, pick whichever one BB and/or the Krafts think has an edge, and the other also becomes a HC, just somewhere else.

They're being given as good an opportunity as any at building their resume for a future HC candidacy. It's not like either currently has a HC offer from an NFL team on the table. No need to promise the moon and stars.
You seem to assume that because someone does a good job as an OC for a couple of years that he is then qualified to our NFL coach. You presume that because Mayo does a good job with the Defense that this means that he would be a good HC.

I strongly disagree. Talk to the teams that have hired top coordinators. Do all of them work out as HC's. Josh says hi.

The responsibilities of a HC are very different from that of a coordinator.

Mac 40 time: 4.83
Mahomes 40 time: 4.80

So Mahomes is a tick faster, but essentially the exact same. Your point is still valid.
There's a difference between fast and quick.

You seem to assume that because someone does a good job as an OC for a couple of years that he is then qualified to our NFL coach. You presume that because Mayo does a good job with the Defense that this means that he would be a good HC.

I strongly disagree. Talk to the teams that have hired top coordinators. Do all of them work out as HC's. Josh says hi.

The responsibilities of a HC are very different from that of a coordinator.
Speaking personally, I think O’Brien would be a good HC because he already was a good one in Houston and did a good job at Penn State too. He only ran into issues when he was given too much control and granted the GM role. If he’s JUST the coach he should be good.

In regards to Mayo, it’s just a hunch. He has high leadership ability. Whether that translates to a head coach level, hard to say - but it is admirable and it intrigues me.

I'm sure this delay (if you can even call it that) is related to contract negotiations or the such but imagine for a second if this is part of a plan to get Brady back and to see who he wants as OC.

I'm not some people. They're all responsible, including the players, but if you're looking for someone to blame, that's easy: Bill Belichick. For years we've heard there isn't a decision made that Bill isn't involved in, so this entire season is on him.

Everyone knows BB has ultimate responsibility, but that is not the question. The TEs underperformed. Is Caley, the TE coach, responsible for the TEs sucking? It is not a discussion about BB, that is a different thread.

Everyone knows BB has ultimate responsibility, but that is not the question. The TEs underperformed. Is Caley, the TE coach, responsible for the TEs sucking? It is not a discussion about BB, that is a different thread.
Let's take it one step at a time. When are we talking about:

1. 2019 when our TEs were LaCosse, Izzo & an aging Watson?
R. Bill is to blame for putting together that sh*t show.
2. 2020 when our TEs were Asiasi, Keene & Izzo?
3. 2021-22 when our TEs were Henry & Smith?
R. Caley finally had something to work with, here's the TE production compared to their previous career averages:
Henry (LAC): 49/580.5/5.3 TD
Henry (NEP): 46/556/5.5 TD

Smith (TEN): 28.5/325.5/4 TD
Smith (NEP): 27.5/269.5/0.5 TD

Henry seemed to click right away. His production is similar to what it was w/ Chargers. Smith didn't seem to get it. I guess we can blame that on the coaching but I remember last season people complaining about McD not using TEs in the RZ. Or, these players are who they are.

To me, there's too much emphasis on the coaches being responsible for the production of the players. I'm one that puts the burden on the players. These are 4-yr veteran TEs. Caley wasn't going to teach them how to be a TE. All he could teach them was the Patriots terminology, play book, concepts/schemes/routes, etc. He wasn't going to turn Henry into Kelce or Smith into Kittle, just like Judge wasn't going to turn Mac into Mahomes.

At some point we need to begin to realize that talent matters. There isn't an OC out there that's going to magically double the '21 offensive production w/ these same players.

On a lighter note. Lol

At some point we need to begin to realize that talent matters. There isn't an OC out there that's going to magically double the '21 offensive production w/ these same players.
What if they do double their production next season with a real OC? Will you come back here and say you were wrong?

Let's take it one step at a time. When are we talking about:

1. 2019 when our TEs were LaCosse, Izzo & an aging Watson?
2. 2020 when our TEs were Asiasi, Keene & Izzo?
3. 2021-22 when our TEs were Henry & Smith?
R. Caley finally had something to work with, here's the TE production compared to their previous career averages:
Henry (LAC): 49/580.5/5.3 TD
Henry (NEP): 46/556/5.5 TD

Smith (TEN): 28.5/325.5/4 TD
Smith (NEP): 27.5/269.5/0.5 TD

Henry seemed to click right away. His production is similar to what it was w/ Chargers. Smith didn't seem to get it. I guess we can blame that on the coaching but I remember last season people complaining about McD not using TEs in the RZ. Or, these players are who they are.

To me, there's too much emphasis on the coaches being responsible for the production of the players. I'm one that puts the burden on the players. These are 4-yr veteran TEs. Caley wasn't going to teach them how to be a TE. All he could teach them was the Patriots terminology, play book, concepts/schemes/routes, etc. He wasn't going to turn Henry into Kelce or Smith into Kittle, just like Judge wasn't going to turn Mac into Mahomes.

On a lighter note. Lol

I have been called the "hammer" before as well. But that was when I was dating. Today I am more of a rubber mallet.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Back