PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo negotiations + OC interviews next week

It was reported before his hiring that one of his stipulations was being able to bring in his own staff (or at least have a say in more guys being brought in). Sounds like he won that battle.
Of course. Thank God Kraft is involved. Kraft told BoB: Bill whatever you need, you've got it.

What is the difference between stop gap and bridge year?

Patricia and judge was a miserable judgement by bb
He only wanted to hire some friends and yes sayer, that’s it

Andi if you really think there was no better option than Patricia than bb seems to have no clue if he really thought Patricia would be the best available option
It was clear to most people that Patricia is a fail from the start so why thöugzt bb that Patricia is the best option?
Was kafka not a better option? He took the giants miserable offense under judge to a complete different level with one of the worst receiving corps because they suck at wr and te and are bottom of talent league wide at skill positions except Barkley
So yeah sure patricia and judge who both never coached offense nor were successful HC I am sure that they were tje best options
I don’t know, you said I called it a bridge year, I said I never used that term. I guess the difference is whatever you think it is.

The “friends” thing is idiotic. Why is Matt Patricia his “friend”? Because he has worked for him for more than a decade. Are you suggesting that hiring someone as a grunt having them work their way up to getting a HC job under your supervision and do a great job wouldn’t be the reason you hire them again?

Tell me what the better options were.
Kafka was never a coordinator before. He didn’t exactly shower himself with rousing success this year, and of course I’d rather have BOB going forward.
A completely different level? They were 18th in yards and 15th in points. Sure you could easily argue he would have likely made the offense a little better than the way it was but he’s still an unproven guy I certainly wouldn’t hire over BOB.
Im confused at what point you think I said Patricia and Judge were the best options. I said it’s pretty clear he picked the option that HE FELT WAS BEST FOR THE SITUATION. Are you arguing he purposely made a choice he new was bad and sabotaged his own team, job and career?

I think it’s less about Achord and more about letting Joe Houston be the ST coordinator for a week. The goal is for everybody to take on a new role, and that’s really the only thing that makes sense for Houston to do. The Falcons solved this problem by making their ST coordinator the HC for the Shrine Bowl, while the Patriots are having Achord step back into a “supervisor” role.

I am amongst many who are surprised that Achord is still with the team.. Unless Judge was so far off the reservation that he was instructing ST Players in a way that hurt their play as well, then I don't see how Achord has done anything to earn the right to stay.

O line wr and te coach pls because they haven‘t showed anything of player development with high paid veterans or rookies

I beg to differ. Meyers have given Troy Brown plenty of credit. So did Bourne last year.

I beg to differ. Meyers have given Troy Brown plenty of credit. So did Bourne last year.
IMO Troy should bear none or very little of the blame for 2022. I hope he is the WR coach in 2023. BOB should interview him as if the job is open but I think he deserves to stick around.

Of course. Thank God Kraft is involved. Kraft told BoB: Bill whatever you need, you've got it.
Definitely a few different narratives you could view things through. One could look at this and think that Kraft still likes BOB and wants him to succeed Belichick as was rumored in years past, and is setting him up to be that guy. However, you also need to take into account the situation with Mayo, where it seems like he is also being set up to be that guy. It's hard to know what's truly going on, but either way, it feels a bit strange for a Belichick team.

Definitely a few different narratives you could view things through. One could look at this and think that Kraft still likes BOB and wants him to succeed Belichick as was rumored in years past, and is setting him up to be that guy. However, you also need to take into account the situation with Mayo, where it seems like he is also being set up to be that guy. It's hard to know what's truly going on, but either way, it feels a bit strange for a Belichick team.
What if the conversation was Bob when Bill leaves you have complete control and power on anything offensive and Jerod for you the same is true for defense.

Imagine being the first team with 2 head coaches.

What if the conversation was Bob when Bill leaves you have complete control and power on anything offensive and Jerod for you the same is true for defense.

Imagine being the first team with 2 head coaches.
That type of arrangement has happened a lot in NFL history, but one of those guys still ultimately winds up being named head coach. One of the most famous examples were the 1985 Bears, where it was Ditka’s team but he ran the offense and Buddy Ryan ran the defense.

I'm not speculating on anything beyond this season. I have no idea what their transition plan is.

But for this season, to get BoB to become the OC, Kraft more than likely gave him whatever he asked for, incl. having a say on his staff. If BoB is who everyone seems to expect he is, the saviour of the Pats offense, you provide him w/ whatever resources he needs to succeed.

I believe BB has taken a major hit w/ the Krafts. He's probably lost 45% of their trust, deservedly so.

I think Kraft was not involved much in the hiring of Patricia and judge

PS. In care you are not aware because you are in Germany, Kraft owns a lot of small business in the USA, packaging companies for example, and has a lot of investments. All of Kraft's companies have to present a yearly business strategy and budget. The NE Patriots football team is no different in that the approach. The Pats strategy for each season will be discussed along side the anticipated budget. That is how the Kraft companies work, and how every multi-billion dollar company that I know works. So it you thought Kraft was not involved, that is not correct. Take for instance in 2021 BB signed a lot of free agents and Kraft said he had to do a lot of work to arrange the cash flow to support the FA signings. This is an example of how BB went to the Kraft management team with his strategy for 2021 along with the money he needed budget for FA that year, Kraft approved the FA plan, and arranged the cash flow necessary. Kraft was involved, stated he was involved, and is always involved on a yearly basis.

Thanks for being transparent and honest unlike other posters who hide and do not respond when I ask the same question.

I like Troy Brown. But Bourne supporting him is not significant. Bourne has been here two years, and still can not run the correct routes. Ocho Cinco Part Deux. Great athlete, but SF let him go for relatively short money for a reason. Meyers supporting Troy is significant for the exact opposite reason that Bourne supporting Troy is not significant. When it comes to strategy and route running, no-one on the offense is looking for Bourne's input.

O’Brien will have input on further additions on the staff, including the likely hiring of a new offensive line coach. It’s a nod from Bill Belichick that O’Brien will be running the offensive show after a season with turbulent results.

Matt Patricia, who was the de facto offensive coordinator this season, is still assessing his future, and it appears all options remain on the table. He could return to the Patriots in a different capacity, or he may opt for a fresh start with another team’s defensive staff.

Tight ends coach Nick Caley’s future is also up in the air. He interviewed with the Jets for their offensive coordinator vacancy, which was filled Thursday by Nathaniel Hackett, and has become a respected name around the league. With 11 other offensive coordinator openings, the interview process is far from over during this hiring cycle.

Joe Judge, who was the quarterbacks coach this season, will return to the coaching staff in a different role that has yet to be determined. Judge is one of a number of Patriots coaches who will be in Las Vegas in the coming days for the East-West Shrine Bowl.

I'm hoping to hear about hiring some position coaches soon. Not sure if they'll do announcements for guys changing roles internally. I'm really curious if Nick Caley will stay on since he was passed on for the Pats and Jets OC jobs.

Dam I hope not. Slappy Caley Sucks.

I said he wanted BOB, couldn’t get him for a year, so he threw together the best thing he could to hold over.
What is so, so sad is that the best Bill could do was to hire Patricia and have him do damage to Jones and the Offense for a full season. Were there really NO, ZERO, OL coaches available? A lot of assistants or college coaches might have jumped at a patriots OL job, even for a year. If the coach did an OK job, he could have been given an assistant job for another year.

And yes, he might have gotten an interim QB coach. His high school coach, or assistant college coach would have been a better choice than Judge.

As far as OC, we didn't need to have one, just a coach willing to take basically a one year stint, perhaps a college coach.
=============
The really sad thing is that best GM Bill could do was to hirePatricia and Judge, and give them a free reign on changes the OL schemes and player positions, with apparently little oversight (or interest).
============
OF COURSE, what we seem unwilling to say is that Kraft saved lots of money by having other teams pay for his play-caller, his QB coach, his OL coach, and his OC; that, in addition to paying the fewest number of coaches in the NFL.

Yup, just like last year when he approved Bill's plan, one that had Kraft paying very low wages for anyone not named Belichick. ZERO for OC> OL and QB coach.

PS. In care you are not aware because you are in Germany, Kraft owns a lot of small business in the USA, packaging companies for example, and has a lot of investments. All of Kraft's companies have to present a yearly business strategy and budget. The NE Patriots football team is no different in that the approach. The Pats strategy for each season will be discussed along side the anticipated budget. That is how the Kraft companies work, and how every multi-billion dollar company that I know works. So it you thought Kraft was not involved, that is not correct. Take for instance in 2021 BB signed a lot of free agents and Kraft said he had to do a lot of work to arrange the cash flow to support the FA signings. This is an example of how BB went to the Kraft management team with his strategy for 2021 along with the money he needed budget for FA that year, Kraft approved the FA plan, and arranged the cash flow necessary. Kraft was involved, stated he was involved, and is always involved on a yearly basis.

Thanks for being transparent and honest unlike other posters who hide and do not respond when I ask the same question.
Agree, as it relates to the business aspects (i.e. cap space cash flow, staffing payroll, operational budgets, etc.) Bill would need to present a plan. However, we're talking about the OC position plan. Kraft has said in the past that he doesn't get involved in those decisions and leaves those to Bill. Obviously, the salary of the OC would be part of the annual business operations presentation that would require Kraft's approval. Unless, they establish an annual budget as a % of say the yearly cap. For example, 15% of the yearly cap goes to coaches salaries. Then as long as Bill stays within the budget, there wouldn't be much to report.

So again:

1. Kraft doesn't get involved in Bill's staffing decisions;
2. Bill stays within the budget;
3. Bill informs Kraft of his staffing decisions: Bob I'm going to replace McDaniels/Lombardi with a combination of Patricia & Judge. I believe these guys are qualified to do the job. I've known these guys for a long time. I'll be hands on to make sure they accomplish our goals for a successful season.
4. Kraft says, OK Bill if that's what you think is best.

Not sure what other type of answer you're looking for.

The other version being peddled is:

1. & 2. The same
3. Bill informs Kraft of his staffing decisions: Bob I'm going to temporarily replace McDaniels/Lombardi with a combination of Patricia & Judge. They are not the guys. The guy is BoB but I'm going to let him finish his contract w/ Saban so I don't piss him off. I believe these guys are qualified to do the job. I've known these guys for a long time. I'll be hands on to make sure they accomplish our goals for a successful season. Then we can hire BoB in '23.
4. Kraft thinks about this patch work plan and says: well Bill are you sure these guys can get it done? I don't want to waste a season just waiting for BoB.

To me, the first scenario sounds positive and final. The 2nd one sounds negative and half-ass. I would question the so called bridge plan immediately. It would open Bill to questions like: isn't there someone else we can get w/ more experience? Or, what if BoB changes his mind or gets offered a HC position w/ another team?

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back