PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo negotiations + OC interviews next week

You honestly believe he sacrificed an entire year? A “bridge year”? can You just imagine the waste? Not just in terms of lost revenue but fanbase and PR? That’s a naive and absurd take on last year, sorry.

What I don't understand is that the plan must include O'Brien not coaching well enough not to get HC offers. What is plan C then? It wouldn't be Caley. More Patricia?

Never mind the change in offensive systems. Why would you change systems if you are just waiting on O'Brien. Is he going to change to the new system or are you going back?

We know the media makes sh*t up all the time. You've said so yourself.

You said BoB told Bill he wanted to be OC. Do you have an interview w/ BoB where he says that? From his own words?

You've been using this same argument against half a dozen posters throughout these threads, so its only fair you follow the same standards you impose on others. So, do you have any link to a video interview with Bill or BoB where they admit to what you claim?

I'll be waiting.
He took the job.

I absolutely have not used that argument, but you know that.
I used the argument that something THAT HAPPENED ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD is on tape and could be supported by tape if true.

As always, this is where it will end: you lied about what you are attributing to me, so I welcome you to prove me wrong by showing where I asked for video of anything other than okay on the field to confirm a claim of what happened on the field. As always one of 2 things will happen next; you will
Ignore that and continue you lying BS, or you will ignore that and stop responding.

Try to at least have a little bit of integrity.

What I don't understand is that the plan must include O'Brien not coaching well enough not to get HC offers. What is plan C then? It wouldn't be Caley. More Patricia?

Never mind the change in offensive systems. Why would you change systems if you are just waiting on O'Brien. Is he going to change to the new system or are you going back?
Would you want to hire someone because you know they won’t do the job well enough to be a hc candidate? The top OCs are always candidates. Hire a slug so he will stay forever?
They didn’t change systems.

Nothing is ever black and white. Someone as competitive as BB does not plan a bridge year to completely fail. He tried to set the team up long term even if there were a few bumps. It was reported that BB talked to Saban which made BOB unavailable so the most logical choice was off the table. Because the job opened up after JMD left there was not much time to find a successor AND install a new system. Bill chose MP and JJ because he thought that they could work with him and Caley to start the change. Both completely failed, especially JJ whose job as QB coach was to get along with and help mentor the QB. Instead he became Mac's torr-mentor which completely fractured the process and made a bad OC situation worse by further alienating all of the players.

You honestly believe he sacrificed an entire year? A “bridge year”? can You just imagine the waste? Not just in terms of lost revenue but fanbase and PR? That’s a naive and absurd take on last year, sorry.

I do not think anyone thought it would be a waste of a year. Think of it as a year in transition (don't use bridge year). They obviously wanted to go in a new direction with more zone runs and changing up the passing game. I think we can agree on that after the zone running and deep ball passing attempts in training camp. A combination of changing too fast and appointing poor communicators to teach the transition led to a disaster. No-one intended to sacrifice a year, but a transition was envisioned in anticipation of making the offense more modern and waiting for BOB. I think it is plausible. Not sure why people resist considering the possibility.

I didn't see anyone say it was a good thing. What did I miss? Can you quote a post.

Everyone hates the decision. Some people think "Patricia and Judge" was a bridge year. Seems logical to me. That does not mean it was a good decision.
wasn't it andy who said the cam newton season was a bridge year? Why again a bridge year with your first rd quarterback in his second season and second season together with the weapons who bb highly invested in the year before? makes not much sense to me and looks like a waste year and set back year in terms of development

wasn't it andy who said the cam newton season was a bridge year? Why again a bridge year with your first rd quarterback in his second season and second season together with the weapons who bb highly invested in the year before? makes not much sense to me and looks like a waste year and set back year in terms of development
I don’t think I’ve ever used the term bridge year.
I don’t think it was good at all that we were stick with newton one year and stuck with that coaching plan another year.
Are you implying someone thinks this was all a grand master plan and an ingenious success?

He took the job.

I absolutely have not used that argument, but you know that.
I used the argument that something THAT HAPPENED ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD is on tape and could be supported by tape if true.

As always, this is where it will end: you lied about what you are attributing to me, so I welcome you to prove me wrong by showing where I asked for video of anything other than okay on the field to confirm a claim of what happened on the field. As always one of 2 things will happen next; you will
Ignore that and continue you lying BS, or you will ignore that and stop responding.

Try to at least have a little bit of integrity.
You used that argument on the Mayo doing the coordinating and Steve the play calling discussion. We all saw it. Stop lying dude.

I don’t think it was good at all that we were stick with newton one year and stuck with that coaching plan another year.
Are you implying someone thinks this was all a grand master plan and an ingenious success?
More back tracking. You haven't changed at all

looks like a waste year and set back year in terms of development

I think it looks like that because it is. I think you are right.

But I also think the Pats intended to change the emphasis of their offensive system (more zone runs and deeper passing game) while waiting for BOB and mistakenly used in-house personnel that were poor communicators. You can call it a transition or bridge year.

Yea, I don't care about Patricia's feelings. He's a grown ass man. I'm talking about Patricia hanging around. There may be issues between Mac and Patricia. If we are going to proceed w/ Mac, then imo we should move on from Patricia.

I do appreciate, being a former coach, you always riding to the defense of the coaches. I'm a players man. Coaches coach, players play. I watch football for the players not the coaches.
How much impactful interaction would there be between Mac and Patricia if he were moved to an administrative position vs operational (coaching) one? Mac could simply ignore him because he's no longer beholden to anything he has to say. If Mac is so thin skinned that he can't even perform with Patricia still anywhere in the organization - that's an entirely different issue.

Ken nails it - Patricia simply was not able to execute the task given, but has demonstrated past value in other tasks The Patriots can continue to obsess about it, prolonging that specific failure, or they can make changes and move on. It appears that's just what they are doing.

It would make more logical sense that BB honestly thought that the Matt/Judge thing would work since they were both HC's and they would run that side of the ball the way he wanted it to.
Or somewhere in the middle of the two prevailing hypotheses - he took the risk (similarly to how he uses 2d round picks) in the short term, but knowing he'd have a better than even shot if the Patricia/Judge dice roll coming up snake eyes occurred (which it did) to replace them with BOB (or someone else) later? There's lots of evidence of BB taking much higher risks in the corporate/administrative/GM side than the on-field coaching one across his tenure.

We tend to set in stone the absolutes of our opinions when the more nuanced analysis might reveal more options.

The Patricia/Judge decision could've had numerous influences - money, familiarity, availability, (both of them, and of them versus other options), time, and even friendship and loyalty, etc - adding one aligned to having a not 100%, but maybe 70% or better hole card in BOB's future availability could be part of the decision process versus the absolute of the actual CAUSAL decision to go with Patricia/Judge.

Please show me film tape that you didn’t say this (jk)
I don’t think anyone with a reasonable mind would call these two season we are talking about a success for the overall team building and development

I think it looks like that because it is. I think you are right.

But I also think the Pats intended to change the emphasis of their offensive system (more zone runs and deeper passing game) while waiting for BOB and mistakenly used in-house personnel that were poor communicators. You can call it a transition or bridge year.
Is bob really that good that you would intentionally waste one year and set back player developments instead of maybe hiring a real oc las year in the rest place? Like kafka who was available and looks like a good oc

More back tracking. You haven't changed at all
I am not backtracking at all.
In what way have I backtracked. Nothing I said is inconsistent when anything else I said on the topic.

Ken nails it - Patricia simply was not able to execute the task given, but has demonstrated past value in other tasks The Patriots can continue to obsess about it, prolonging that specific failure, or they can make changes and move on. It appears that's just what they are doing.
What's "just what they are doing?"

Is bob really that good that you would intentionally waste one year and set back player developments instead of maybe hiring a real oc las year in the rest place? Like kafka who was available and looks like a good oc
Do you really think that was the decision?
BOB plus INTENTIONALLY WASTING A YEAR AND SETTING BACK THE DEVELOPMENT OF PLAYERS vs choice #2?

You used that argument on the Mayo doing the coordinating and Steve the play calling discussion. We all saw it. Stop lying dude.
I absolutely did not.
Someone made a comment about their responsibilities and said “it was from
Mayos mouth”
I asked for a link to the quote because I didn’t believe that was accurate. It turned out it was Curran saying what he thought mayos camp felt.

If you are saying I w used the argument “I don’t think that’s correct can you show me where you got it from” of course I do, all the time. It’s normal discussion.

If you really want to lie and say I argued to see tape of it, you are a sad sad man because you know that’s just not true, nor is it sensible.

Not same standard: if you think I am wrong, it’s all on these pages so quote it.
Otherwise an honorable man would admit they are wrong. Are you?

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back