PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo negotiations + OC interviews next week

Where is the other interviews?
It can’t be a real search if we are only interviewing 5 people.
One being Adrien Klemm, there has to be more to come or a candidate they have already picked.

It can’t be a real search if we are only interviewing 5 people.
Yeah but it's not like IT or something where the employer might get hundreds of candidate options. I don't see anything wrong with interviewing 5 candidates for the OC position in the NFL. 5 is probably the highest number they have had in almost 25 years.

Yeah but it's not like IT or something where the employer might get hundreds of candidate options. I don't see anything wrong with interviewing 5 candidates for the OC position in the NFL.
Every single one has some tie to Bill though.
That is my biggest concern, is this really a thorough search.

The guy that has engineered 6 super bowls with the patriots....you are correct sir. Bill needs a lot of work offloaded to capable hands...he's friggin' old. Some of those 5 are capable Offensive Coordinators.

The guy that has engineered 6 super bowls with the patriots....you are correct sir. Bill needs a lot of work offloaded to capable hands...he's friggin' old. Some of those 5 are capable Offensive Coordinators.
I would interview a coach from each kind of offensive scheme.
Get a good idea about what kind of wrinkles you want to add to your team.
I think interviewing coaches can be an excellent time for information and learning.
No matter now Great a coach Bill is you can learn something from everybody.

How do you think the works?
You think the HC , the GOAT, is going to hire someone he has no connection to, and, what give him the offense to run with BB having no involvement?
That’s insane.

I would interview a coach from each kind of offensive scheme.
Get a good idea about what kind of wrinkles you want to add to your team.
I think interviewing coaches can be an excellent time for information and learning.
No matter now Great a coach Bill is you can learn something from everybody.
Everything they could tell him is something he has seen and studied on film.

I really wish that people would stop overblowing the Belichick connections. Jefferson played for the Pats for 3 years while Belichick was the assistant head coach and defensive backs coach under Parcells and McCardell played for BB for 4 years from ‘92 to ‘95. Neither are part of the Belichick coaching tree or have coached on teams that run the Patriots offense. For all we know, BB hadn’t kept in touch with either of them since the 90s. He may have just been keeping tabs on their careers from afar.

If you listened to the morons on sports radio (hosts and fans) last week you would think that those two and Chung were all BFFs with Belichick. Perhaps, like Mayo, Bill saw something in them during their time together that he thought would translate well in the coaching realm and now he legitimately wants to aee what they are made of/have to offer.

Even if they know going into the process that Billy O. is their guy and BB hopes that by reconnecting with the three of them that he may have a chance to add one or more of them as position coaches in a lateral move or even if he just wants to do them a solid by raising their profiles across the league, I’m fine with that too.

If you read between the lines with Zo, he may not be wild a out Jefferson, a former teammate. When his name came up on 98.5 last week, Zo said something like “He’s a different cat” and then went into a bit more detail (intense guy, very regimented) but seemed to be holding something back…in particular a negative opinion about his personality (my own reading of his words), something that rubbed Zo the wrong way. That doesn’t make him a lesser coaching candidate (the Pats could use an intense hard ass coach) but Zo doesn’t usually hold back opinions so it was notable.

I’ve never claimed to have any NFL sources (bc I don’t) but I received these unsolicited texts tonight from a close friend with whom I did my medical resident and fellowship. Very smart Masshole and a huge Pats fan (as is his brother). Definitely not one to make sh*t up. The source seems very solid to me but you all can decide that for youselves.

ABA3E9CC-8AD5-4CAF-A3EC-8FE22D686FD9.jpeg
First part was obviously a cut and paste text from my friend’s brother.

4C37D15A-A63A-46F6-AA35-00321C170D8F.jpeg
The “another brother” is a D1 college coach in the Northeast. I trust my friend 1000%, so the info was interesting to me.

#1 and #3 on BOB’s supposed list make a lot of sense but if #2 is true, that makes me concerned about BOB ultimately accepting the job. I don’t think it’s possible to promise the future head coaching gig to anyone in writing (after Bill retires), even Mayo, but even if Kraft gave Mayo the wink and nod about being Bill’s successor, I'm not sure why that would be a deal breaker for BOB. One would think that if the offense and Mac takehuge steps forward next year O’Brien is going to get a lot of the credit, and would be a prime candidate for any number of jobs that open up next offseason (which is the one downside to hiring Billy O, in my opinion).

I’ve never claimed to have any NFL sources (bc I don’t) but I received these unsolicited texts tonight from a close friend with whom I did my medical resident and fellowship. Very smart Masshole and a huge Pats fan (as is his brother). Definitely not one to make sh*t up. The source seems very solid to me but you all can decide that for youselves.

View attachment 49314

View attachment 49315
The “another brother” is a D1 college coach in the Northeast. I trust my friend 1000%, so the info was interesting to me.

#1 and #3 on BOB’s supposed list make a lot of sense but if #2 is true, that makes me concerned about BOB ultimately accepting the job. I don’t think it’s possible to promise the future head coaching gig to anyone in writing (after Bill retires), even Mayo, but even if Kraft gave Mayo the wink and nod about being Bill’s successor, I'm not sure why that would be a deal breaker for BOB. One would think that if the offense and Mac takehuge steps forward next year O’Brien is going to get a lot of the credit, and would be a prime candidate for any number of jobs that open up next offseason (which is the one downside to hiring Billy O, in my opinion).
Interesting.

It's one thing to ask questions. It's another thing to make demands.

If BOB wants to come in here, push Mayo aside, hand-pick his manager(s), and have guarantees about being a future HC candidate of the Pats, I'd tell him (not so kindly) to pound sand.

It's one thing to ask questions. It's another thing to make demands.

If BOB wants to come in here, push Mayo aside, hand-pick his manager(s), and have guarantees about being a future HC candidate of the Pats, I'd tell him (not so kindly) to pound sand.
I don't see how Mayo is relevant. Wouldn't Mayo's role primarily be reserved for the defensive side of the ball?

I don't see how Mayo is relevant. Wouldn't Mayo's role primarily be reserved for the defensive side of the ball?
Bill O B wants to be the heir.
He wants assurances according to that report he would be next in line for HC.
He wants to be told Mayo isn’t the next HC.

View attachment 49314

View attachment 49315

PatsFans has better insiders than anything else I'm seeing online.

Breer's tweet confirming that Mayo took part in the OC interviews is more circumstantial evidence that Mayo will be the next HC of the Patriots after Bill leaves. It also supports the "implication" that Mayo will be given the Asst HC title and become Bill's right hand moving forward.

"3. Is Patricia one of his bosses".

MP or Shula - BB's gonna have to make that choice. Patricia's going to end the quest, either by driving away good players and coaches or by his own "skills".

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back