PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo negotiations + OC interviews next week

BOB shouldn't be “demanding” anything. Bama fans want him gone and HOU was a disaster. Demands would indicate leverage, I can’t see any leverage that he would have.

BOB shouldn't be “demanding” anything. Bama fans want him gone and HOU was a disaster. Demands would indicate leverage, I can’t see any leverage that he would have.
He could have Tenn as a option, Arizona as a head coach or OC to a
Coach like Flores.
There’s are multiple OC jobs open, Chargers for instance.

Breer's tweet confirming that Mayo took part in the OC interviews is more circumstantial evidence that Mayo will be the next HC of the Patriots after Bill leaves. It also supports the "implication" that Mayo will be given the Asst HC title and become Bill's right hand moving forward.
RKK is thought to be the driving force behind keeping Mayo long term. Johnathan is said to be the senior member of the team that wants BOB to be OC. The conflict may be accidental in the sense that Johnathon only sees BOB as OC, not HC. It will be difficult to fit three head coaches (BB, Mayo, BOB) into a single structure, even for one season.

Would much rather Mayo as future HC. Don’t know that much about his coaching style or really anything but I don’t want to see BoB as future HC

Would be great to get one of Jefferson/Mccardelle as WR coach and the other as OC and Klemm to coach OL.

Not saying any of them have any incentive to do that (lateral moves). But would still be great to beef up ranks

I'd take a hard pass on BoB if he demands to be next HC when BB retires. There is a reason he was out of the NFL last couple of years.

Mayo seems to be well respected by players, would love to give him a shot

Where is the other interviews?
It can’t be a real search if we are only interviewing 5 people.
One being Adrien Klemm, there has to be more to come or a candidate they have already picked.
Agree w/ this, not impressed. I mean, 4 of the 5 never had play calling duties. They should've had 1st interviews w/ 10 candidates followed by 2nd interviews with 3. Make it look professional. Instead, all 5 have some sort of exp. w/ Bill. More of the same, just out in the open because of the Rooney Rule.

I’ve never claimed to have any NFL sources (bc I don’t) but I received these unsolicited texts tonight from a close friend with whom I did my medical resident and fellowship. Very smart Masshole and a huge Pats fan (as is his brother). Definitely not one to make sh*t up. The source seems very solid to me but you all can decide that for youselves.

View attachment 49314
First part was obviously a cut and paste text from my friend’s brother.

View attachment 49315
The “another brother” is a D1 college coach in the Northeast. I trust my friend 1000%, so the info was interesting to me.

#1 and #3 on BOB’s supposed list make a lot of sense but if #2 is true, that makes me concerned about BOB ultimately accepting the job. I don’t think it’s possible to promise the future head coaching gig to anyone in writing (after Bill retires), even Mayo, but even if Kraft gave Mayo the wink and nod about being Bill’s successor, I'm not sure why that would be a deal breaker for BOB. One would think that if the offense and Mac takehuge steps forward next year O’Brien is going to get a lot of the credit, and would be a prime candidate for any number of jobs that open up next offseason (which is the one downside to hiring Billy O, in my opinion).
Regarding #3, in what universe overseen by Bob Kraft would Patricia be Billy's boss?

Last edited:
It's one thing to ask questions. It's another thing to make demands.

If BOB wants to come in here, push Mayo aside, hand-pick his manager(s), and have guarantees about being a future HC candidate of the Pats, I'd tell him (not so kindly) to pound sand.
I think it's not unreasonable to demand that he, at the very least, has a strong say regarding his staff.

I'd take a hard pass on BoB if he demands to be next HC when BB retires. There is a reason he was out of the NFL last couple of years.

Mayo seems to be well respected by players, would love to give him a shot
Of course. Belichick won't allow a contract that includes anything about the HC position. However, there are many legitimate issues. For me, clarifying these issues is about better defining the job and the role expected.

SOME ISSUES FOR DISCUSSION
1) If there were an Assistant Coach, would he have direct responsibility over BOB.
2) What coaches and staff must be kept?
3) What role does BOB having in hiring and firing assistant coaches and staff? For example, I would think both Patricia and Judge need to be off the Offense.
4) What input would BOB having in the process of acquiring and not re-signing players? What is BB's general plan for acquiring players? I could see BOB wanting to discuss current players and wanting very much to re-sign one or two, and perhaps show his strong preference that we acquire a top receiver (or not).
5) To what degree should he plan around Mac, presuming that he is the QB for the 2-3 years of the contract. Brady coming back or not might very well affect any decisions.
===========
None of these is a matter of demands. However, the discussion could help both BB and BOB tell whether BOB as OC is a good fit.

Regarding #2, in what universe overseen by Bob Kraft would Patricia be Billy's boss?
Mayo leaves and Patricia is named DC.
Patricia is named Assistant Coach.
==========
To be clear, I strongly believe that Patricia should not be part of the organization in 2023.

Mayo leaves and Patricia is named DC.
Patricia is named Assistant Coach.
==========
To be clear, I strongly believe that Patricia should not be part of the organization in 2023.
I think he is best suited for the Ernie Adams role. Data analysis.

It's one thing to ask questions. It's another thing to make demands.

If BOB wants to come in here, push Mayo aside, hand-pick his manager(s), and have guarantees about being a future HC candidate of the Pats, I'd tell him (not so kindly) to pound sand.
What exactly has Mayo done to be elevated to coach in waiting? They only offered him the role to spare the franchise the embarrassment of losing a promising coach to nepotism.

BOB has the superior resume and the NFL is an offensive game. If they lose BOB because of this, they’ll all (BB & Mayo) deserve to get fired after another 9-8 season. This franchise is quickly becoming a joke.

People keep using the "he never called plays" stat as a knock against some OC candidates... but, in case I need to remind us -
MP never called plays OR COACHED OFFENSE (since 1 year as asst. OL coach in '05).
So, maybe that's not a problem for the Pats brass.

He has to be the most sought after OC candidate in a league with 11 OC openings. Seems to me like he has a lot of leverage.

The thing is, they aren't going to put it in his contract that he's the next head coach after Belichick and I'm not sure a promise from ownership is enough. The idea that he would asked to be promised next in line seems suspect, since it's hard to enforce without putting it in the actual contract and teams won't do that.

With the demand BoB has I'm nervous that he goes somewhere else and the Pats are left with 4 remaining candidates none of which i'm very excited about.

Agree w/ this, not impressed. I mean, 4 of the 5 never had play calling duties. They should've had 1st interviews w/ 10 candidates followed by 2nd interviews with 3. Make it look professional. Instead, all 5 have some sort of exp. w/ Bill. More of the same, just out in the open because of the Rooney Rule.
Is it not possible that they are only seriously considering BOB as OC and given two are WR coaches and one is an Oline coach that they might be positional coaches?

He has to be the most sought after OC candidate in a league with 11 OC openings. Seems to me like he has a lot of leverage.

The thing is, they aren't going to put it in his contract that he's the next head coach after Belichick and I'm not sure a promise from ownership is enough. The idea that he would asked to be promised next in line seems suspect, since it's hard to enforce without putting it in the actual contract and teams won't do that.

With the demand BoB has I'm nervous that he goes somewhere else and the Pats are left with 4 remaining candidates none of which i'm very excited about.
I can't see any owner guaranteeing someone they will be next in line.

What exactly has Mayo done to be elevated to coach in waiting? They only offered him the role to spare the franchise the embarrassment of losing a promising coach to nepotism.

BOB has the superior resume and the NFL is an offensive game. If they lose BOB because of this, they’ll all (BB & Mayo) deserve to get fired after another 9-8 season. This franchise is quickly becoming a joke.
He's done an excellent job coaching a defense that doesn't have a lot of elite talent (or talent generally, for that matter). Moreover, the players appear to love him.

Frankly I'd much rather have Mayo and someone like McCardell than B'OB and Steve.

Last edited:
I think we need to expand the search.
If BOB isn't coming here just give to job to Nick Caley at least he's familiar with the personnel and would be here for a while.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back