PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

May Patriots Rookie Predictions - Biggest Surprise of 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buddy Farnham. Please don't freak out.
Sounds good to me. If you had guessed at this time last year that Edelman would be the biggest surprise of the 2009 you would have been right!

Brandon Deaderick. I thought this guy was a steal where the Pats got him. Don't expect him to be Richard Seynour 2.0, but he could be a valued contributor on defense this year.
YouTube - RM09

Looks like a classic two-gapper to me here. He's #95.

Biggest impact - that's a hard one because there are possibly two answers, one for the regular season and one for the playoffs (which will ultimately determine the season).

For regular season the biggest impact would have to be a starter by mid-season at the very latest, and so I would go with either McCourty or Gronkowski. While I think McCourty will do well, I suspect that the whole D will perform better and it will be debatable whether it is his influence, Spikes, McKenzie, Mayo, Chung, Butler, or even Crable or Cunningham. So I will go with the Gronk, because he will have an impact on our pass and rush offense that has been missing for the last 3 years.

For the playoffs I am mostly convinced that defense wins championships and so I am going with the person who will make the biggest plays in the playoffs, and that person is Spikes.

I will also try to answer the thread title, which asks for the biggest surprise which is very different from biggest impact. I am expecting the biggest surprise to be someone who makes the field more often than not and is in the 7th round to UDFA group - so here I will choose between one of my Binkies, Ted Larson, and Deaderick. Of the two Larson has the harder task in replacing Koppen, but I suspect he may surprise by subbing on certain downs. But for the money I have to go with Deaderick as his motor seems to be more in line with breaking expectations.

Biggest impact offense: Aaron Hernandez, he's going to be Dallas Clark to Tom Brady's Payton Manning. Lot's of explosive plays terrible mismatch for the defense. Obviously won't play like Clark in his first year but will show flashes and be a good contributor.

Biggest impact defense: Brandon Spikes. Comes in and starts from day 1. Makes receivers fear coming across the middle of the Pats defense. His big hits and leadership will take the d to the next level.

Biggest Surprise: Brandon Deaderick, he is one of the only players on the team to see time exclusively as a 3-4 Defensive end (Weston switched between nose and DE), the vets we're bringing in are all converted 4-3 dt's. I see this guy competing for playing time by midseason and potentially winning the job.

McCourty, but not because I think it would be a surprise for him to have an impact. I think we'll be surprised at just how many aspects of the game he contributes to. I predict over the course of the season he will:

Intercept a pass

Make a big third down stop on an outside run or WR screen

Make a good kick return (not necessarily a TD, but a good return at a big time)

and Block a kick

Biggest expectation, Offense: The Gronk.
Biggest expectation, Defense: Spikes.
Biggest expectation, Sp.Team: McCourty.

Biggest surprises...? Is it possible to predict what is going to surprise you? :D I'm going to say where I would like to be surprised:

Offense: Pat Paschall. It would be great if he turned out to be a big-threat/multi-threat runner. I like our RBs, but it would be nice if we could have all RB responsibilities covered with just 3 or 4 RBs on the roster instead of 5. If Paschall surprises us with his development and production, he could possibly replace a couple of RBs on the roster (not getting into who, as that would probably incite argument that Ian banned from this discussion).

Defense: Cunningham. I fully expect him to be on the roster, but I'm not expecting a complete transition into the NFL/Pats system/new position until next year. I would love to be surprised and proven wrong by him fully grasping his new role and excelling in it this year.

Last edited:
McCourty....

I agree, I belive this kid will put aside Slater for the return job. Coach said he is a "4 down guy" so he'll have a spot on those nickel packages and flourish. Doing a good job and help streghten our Defensive backfield along with Bodden, Butler & Co.

Biggest Surprise: Brandon Deaderick, he is one of the only players on the team to see time exclusively as a 3-4 Defensive end (Weston switched between nose and DE), the vets we're bringing in are all converted 4-3 dt's. I see this guy competing for playing time by midseason and potentially winning the job.

Co-sign and for impact I'll go with Gronk; BB loves his TE's (and I like his name:singing:).

If healthy, it's really a tie. First, I'll go with Hernandez because of the match-up problems that he should cause opposing defenses at all levels of the field. Secondly, I'll go with Gronk because he should immediately improve our red zone offense. Again, this is if health is not a factor.

Cunningham. Fans and the media want to give him a year to get fully involved. BB wants him chasing the QB now, IMO. :D

I agree, I belive this kid will put aside Slater for the return job. Coach said he is a "4 down guy" so he'll have a spot on those nickel packages and flourish. Doing a good job and help streghten our Defensive backfield along with Bodden, Butler & Co.

Is there any reason at this point to have Matthew Slater occupying a spot on this team????

He can't play in the secondary and returners Edelman, McCourty and Tate pretty much round out that position along with Kevin Faulk.

Both the Dolphins and the Jets have bolstered their WR core. Rather than pick a WR at 22, BB thought it wiser to offset those teams by getting a good CB. The Pats already have good WRs and Brady makes them better. We have also seen how effective a top notch CB like Revis can be. IMO the McCourty pick will pay off in a big way.

Both the Dolphins and the Jets have bolstered their WR core. Rather than pick a WR at 22, BB thought it wiser to offset those teams by getting a good CB. The Pats already have good WRs and Brady makes them better. We have also seen how effective a top notch CB like Revis can be. IMO the McCourty pick will pay off in a big way.

Good point. It occurred to me that the McCourty pick might have been a response to all the new WRs in the AFC East. Now I realize it was that and more... he's a good player and can be a major contributor.

Last edited:
Biggest Impact: Brandon Spikes - He's going to be ready to start sooner than many expect and his unique fit on the team will allow him to thrive. Gronk would be my 2nd choice as he is likely to start from day 1.

Biggest Surprise: Kade Weston - I liked his fit here before the draft and I still think he can contribute, despite being a 7th rounder. He's a hard working guy who has the rare dimensions to be an ideal fit at both DE and NT. I think he could have a Myron Pryor type of impact this year. I like Deaderick too, but I think Weston's attitude gives him the advantage.

Could those of you who know compare Weston and Deaderick -- and what you see them bringing to the Pats game this coming season?

Pat Paschall. He will become the next Barry Sanders and have his own fishing show on NESN.

Aaron Hernandez, just keep the marijuana away from him. :p

It is difficult to respond since Slater has been on the team neither to play the secondary nor as a kick returner.

Is there any reason at this point to have Matthew Slater occupying a spot on this team????

He can't play in the secondary and returners Edelman, McCourty and Tate pretty much round out that position along with Kevin Faulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back