PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

May Patriots Rookie Predictions - Biggest Surprise of 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
oww, so many choices....

mcCourty is possible, but then it takes time to learn the secondary play, and i htink itll take mcCourty some as well....

cunningham will convert to OLB, and will have a lot of responsibilities to learn, even if he turns into a pass rush threat, he will have other things to do well, so not him

spikes will get his tackles and will make a couple of game altering plays, but either way I dont think hell have the impact that an offensive player can

i would say price, but with moss and holt at WR, plus edelman working the slot, and with TE's i dont see price or tate as producing astounding numbers....

I will have to go with our TE's, and primarily Gronk....i think hell be either 3rd or 4th option by end of season, and will look great in this offense...he wont have to learn too many complicated things...not as much as a WR, but i think considering his back is fine that the guy will give us a premier TE later on, and put up numbers better than holts, and close to randy's

Id go with Hernandez

I dont think Spikes, Gronk, Mesko etc contributing is going to be a surprise but Price could well be if we go 3 WR and Holt doesnt work out (a la Galloway) and Tate/Welker aren't ready

Gotta be Hernandez. I think he becomes Brady's new safety blanket in Wes's absence.

Tough choice
Cunningham will help somewhat but usually those DE to OLB conversions take a year to get up to speed (especially in this complex defense) . so he is off my list.

Mesko will punt.......Whoopeee! NEXT!

McCourtney will be worked into slot CB and i predict will have 2 picks year end. Nice but not spectacular season....up and coming.

Spikes will make alot of tackles - A definate contributor but that is not what people remember and not shown on ESPN highlights....

which brings us to offense:

Price could be ok/ good in time but this is a complex passing offense to learn (say hello Galloway, Bethel, others). So I see Tate more in the mix this year.

TE is obviously going to using the rookies as NEP only have old and slow Crumpler there. Gronk is going to be in on lots of snaps and will have some nice TD but also will be blocking (which also doesn't get much attention statistically).

Soooo - the winner : My prediction is Hernandez. He will be what Watson was supposed to be. Faster than the LB's trying to cover him. Bigger than the DB's if they are covering him. Perfect all over the field. I expect him to get lots of catches especially as Welker will be out for some of the season.

Rejoice all Pats fans. Finally we have some TE's which will remind us all of Ben Coats. :singing:

The biggest surprise is how many downs these guys will play, not sure if we keep records, but between McCourty, Cunningham, Spikes, Gronkowsky, Hernandez and Zoltan.. these guys will be integrated more into the play calling than we have seen in a while..

The biggest surprise is how many downs these guys will play, not sure if we keep records, but between McCourty, Cunningham, Spikes, Gronkowsky, Hernandez and Zoltan.. these guys will be integrated more into the play calling than we have seen in a while..

Agreed, I think this will be like the 2003 season when 3-4 rookies are starting by season's end and another couple are seeing significant playing time.

As for a surprise, I think all the guys mentioned here are kind of expected to come in and contribute, so I'll throw in Brandon Deaderick. He's built for this system and well coached already, and probably should have been drafted a couple rounds earlier if not for some indecent in college (I forgot what at this hour in the morning). There's a gaping hole in the team's future plans at DE and Deaderick could be the guy to fill it. I see him in the DL rotation by Thanksgving.

Couldn't agree more. This years team has the potential to be one of the youngest Patriot teams in years with the number of quality impact rookies selected this year. Also, with Brandon Tate and Tyrone McKenzie hopefulyl fit again there's another 2 1st year players to factor in as well! Excting season ahead.

As for a surprise, I think all the guys mentioned here are kind of expected to come in and contribute, so I'll throw in Brandon Deaderick

I see him in the DL rotation by Thanksgving.
Yeah, so far except for one guy picking Paschall, there aren't any surprises.

Deaderick is my surprise contributor, also.

I'll see your "in the DL rotation by thanksgiving" and raise you a "starting RDE by season's end."

Would Brandon Tate qualify for this?

Ted Larsen

Brandon Deaderick. I thought this guy was a steal where the Pats got him. Don't expect him to be Richard Seynour 2.0, but he could be a valued contributor on defense this year.

McCourty can't be a surprise unless he turns into Darelle Revis 2.0. He is a first round pick.

Cunningham would be the biggest help to us IMO given our OLB situation. That's who I'm hoping it is.

I think it will be Spikes though.

Oldest RB back unit in the league Pat Paschal goes from UDFA to big contributor.

Cunningham gets five sacks, 50 combined tackles.

Spikes gets 70 combined tackles, three sacks, and an INT.

Hernandez gets 25 catches for 300 yards.

Gronk gets 20 catches for 200 yards.

Price gets 20 catches for 250 yards.

Mesko gets 43 yards per punt with eight touchbacks and 12 fair catches.

McCourty gets two INTs.

Biggest rookie surprise?

I'm going with the mysterious #13 Buddy Farnham. I believe he'll earn a spot in the starting line up and quickly become one of Brady's favorite receivers early into the season.

Most top name rookies would not be a surprise to me.
So I'll take

Pat Paschall, the very athletic RB that has lot of potential.
I think he may win one of the RB slots and surprise many.
Sammy or BJGE may loose out.

Biggest Impact: Brandon Spikes - He's going to be ready to start sooner than many expect and his unique fit on the team will allow him to thrive. Gronk would be my 2nd choice as he is likely to start from day 1.

Biggest Surprise: Kade Weston - I liked his fit here before the draft and I still think he can contribute, despite being a 7th rounder. He's a hard working guy who has the rare dimensions to be an ideal fit at both DE and NT. I think he could have a Myron Pryor type of impact this year. I like Deaderick too, but I think Weston's attitude gives him the advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots