PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matty P. Wears Goodell Clown Shirt on Return Flight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why ? Any organization that would not call him about a HC vacancy because of a t-shirt he was wearing is insane and should be avoided anyway.
I was watching Boomer and Carton earlier this morning and Esiason suggested that wearing that shirt in public might be a reason Patricia never gets a HC job. My immediate reaction: no wonder the idiots who own these teams keep recycling the same, tired group of losers in and out of head coaching jobs and are frightened away from creative, young minds by idiotic prejudices like that one. And I'm f###### old...

what? he won't get job offers because of that shirt? Oh perish forbid! What WILL he do then??? It's not like he's a rocket scientist or anything and can just morph into an entirely different and lucrative career.......

OH......WAIT....

I was watching Boomer and Carton earlier this morning and Esiason suggested that wearing that shirt in public might be a reason Patricia never gets a HC job. My immediate reaction: no wonder the idiots who own these teams keep recycling the same, tired group of losers in and out of head coaching jobs and are frightened away from creative, young minds by idiotic prejudices like that one. And I'm f###### old...

Patrica.....Rocket Scientist

Esassason...Rocket chimp

f7cacae20ec1acfd86fc984b5ab8f38f.jpg

Are we sure that's not the fake Matt Patricia guy? :cool:

Talk about plausible deniability!
It is f*cking uncanny how much the guy resembles Matt P. Downright scary. Lol

It certainly doesn't say "I'm angling for a future with the league office," eh? :D

Seriously, I hope it doesn't scare away potential HC suitors who might think Patricia would come in with a bullseye on his back.
To me, if this scares away suitors, then the league deserves the slumping ratings and the slumping product they are putting out. And it points to a bigger issue in our society in general.

Are we sure that's not the fake Matt Patricia guy? :cool:

Talk about plausible deniability!
Way off topic, but... When I was in law school, I had an internship at a very large corporation. I would review purchase orders, and type a clarification letter about the terms of the deal. My boss would then review the order, and my letter. Upon finding it satisfactory, he would instruct our admin to sign the letter in his name.

After I got to know him better, I finally asked why he asked her to sign all the letters I wrote. He replied: Plausible deniability!

I love that term almost as much as I love the Pats :)

I heard the same thing suggested about his beard and cap by other talking heads. It's ridiculous..

Just now watching again later in the show. Now, Boomer is clearly offended and irritated by Patricia's shirt. Really revealing about Esiason, in my opinion
Not me. I've seen self righteous Esiason many times over the years. Dan Marino had an up close encounter on set once when I still used to watch pregame shows.

Last edited:

I had the same thought as Esiason there.

To me, that was Patricia publicly stating that he is happy as a DC and is good where he is. Sort of like a Declaration of Independence from being on the Head Coaching Job Rotisserie.

Matty P. knows the intended audience of Esiason and the NFL owners and this was his Independence Day statement. He's happy where he is and they can shove it.

The folks criticizing Esiason for stating this will hurt his HC chances are wrong. Esiason is right about Matty P.'s chances (anywhere else but NE, that is ;)).

You don't wear that kind of T-shirt on a trip where you know the press will be at the airplane landing if you are not making a public statement.

Good for Matt Patricia, and I'm thrilled we'll have him here for many years to come.

(McDaniels seem to make a similar decision - not garb wise - regarding not going the HC route right now, but more for domestic/kids in school reasons).

Last edited:
Great, Boomer, then those teams deserve to continue losing. Hope they're happy!

Why don't people ever say things like this to such idiotic statements?

As much as I love it, he's kind of limiting the job offers he might get

I completely agree with you, unfortunately.

The NFL is a very stuffy corporate culture. Suites, well-kept facial hair, etc go a long way in that business. I believe Matt Patricia is a non-conforming, go-against-the grain type of guy. Just look at him. The beard. The backwards hat. The t-shirt from yesterday. His visuals are the exact opposite of what superficial team owners and what lackey execs that run NFL franchises look for in a coach. They want professional-looking. They want clean-cut, facing face-of-the-franchise guys. I totally get that. While I'm sure other owners and other execs think very highly of him, his appearance absolutely does not help him be a HC. I'm convinced of it.

Last edited:
It certainly doesn't say "I'm angling for a future with the league office," eh? :D

Seriously, I hope it doesn't scare away potential HC suitors who might think Patricia would come in with a bullseye on his back.

I hope it does. :)

Why ? Any organization that would not call him about a HC vacancy because of a t-shirt he was wearing is insane and should be avoided anyway.
this is like van halen demanding that a bowl of m&m's be provided to them before every concert with the brown m&m's taken out. if the concert venue didn't do it, it was proof that they hadn't read the contract specifications closely and that the set-up had to be double-checked for safety.

okay, the analogy doesn't work exactly but that was the first thought that popped into my head after reading your post (i.e., a test to weed out bad organizations).

I completely agree with you, unfortunately.

The NFL is a very stuffy corporate culture. Suites, well-kept facial hair, etc go a long way in that business. I believe Matt Patricia is a non-conforming, go-against-the grain type of guy. Just look at him. The beard. The backwards hat. The t-shirt from yesterday. His visuals are the exact opposite of what superficial team owners and what lackey execs that run NFL franchises look for in a coach. They want professional-looking. They want clean-cut, facing face-of-the-franchise guys. I totally get that. While I'm sure other owners and other execs think very highly of him, his appearance absolutely does not help him be a HC. I'm convinced of it.

As someone who was at the "DC level" in corporate culture I revel in Matty P being true to who he is instead of a corporate puke. We have too many of them already in industry.
When you watch him console our RB last year when he came off the field with a season ending leg injury you see why players love him too.

As someone who was at the "DC level" in corporate culture I revel in Matty P being true to who he is instead of a corporate puke. We have too many of them already in industry.
When you watch him console our RB last year when he came off the field with a season ending leg injury you see why players love him too.

I agree completely. If you are in high-tech we should move the convo to PM or LinkedIn and compare notes :D.

If it were up to me, I'd hire him in a heartbeat. His intelligence, loyalty and personality are tough to find. Hes is own man. Hes very much like his boss in that regard.

But it is complementary. The Pat O held the ball so long, it limited the number of plays by Atlanta and helped to keep the D fresh.
Very true. I guess the problem with most analytics on an offense or defense is that they don't often account for how the other side of the ball plays. And that's to say nothing of special teams. It's easy to brag about points allowed or yardage allowed as markers of success on defense, but a huge part of that defensive equation is how well the offense and special teams are playing. If you give up huge punt returns, the defense is put in a rough spot. The same rule applies if your offense chokes - the defense suffers.

I wonder if any offensive or defensive breakdowns include a +/- bonus to the ranking related to how well the other side played? There are all sorts of complications with this approach, but I'd be interested to see if a middle of the road defense might actually be the best unit in the league, but their success is masked by horrid play by the offense and/or special teams unit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes