PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mary Kay Cabot is Talking Up Jimmy G's Trade Value

Status
Not open for further replies.
"sources have told cleveland.com that Belichick will trade Garoppolo for the right compensation."

Good gravy, I've been saying that for 6 months.

If she's talking his value up, I love it, but that CAN'T be earning Mary Kay too many friends in Cleveland.

We'd be screaming at Reiss or Curran if they ever did something similar here. The MCI, on the other hand, would be expected.

Mary Kay Cabot

Mary Kayte AbbotCabotOlsen is one Hell of a Sports Reporter.

COFI-Best_Olsen_Twins_Looks.jpg

God, I love FootBall.

Promising if true

Promising if true

She's probably one of the top 2 football writers in The Cleveland market, so Cabot going on like this about Garropolo and his trade value is quite notable. I say we send a few emails her way to keep going!

She's probably one of the top 2 football writers in The Cleveland market, so Cabot going on like this about Garropolo and his trade value is quite notable. I say we send a few emails her way to keep going!

Mary Kay is by far the most Pro Jimmy G sports type here in Northeast OH.

It's interesting here with all the trepidation of making the move "after the Brian Hoyer" thing.

Hoyer was 9-4 as the Browns starter and had them 7-4 (and in 1st place) in 2014 before Johnny Football hysteria took over.

That's what happens when homeless guys make 1st round draft decisions.

Mary Kay is by far the most Pro Jimmy G sports type here in Northeast OH.

It's interesting here with all the trepidation of making the move "after the Brian Hoyer" thing.

Hoyer was 9-4 as the Browns starter and had them 7-4 (and in 1st place) in 2014 before Johnny Football hysteria took over.

That's what happens when homeless guys make 1st round draft decisions.

Good stuff, PFIC, I hadn't thought about the Hoyer thing. Ever since, that franchise hasn't even sniffed being near .500.

Post edit: Damn, I just calculated, since that moment of moving from Hoyer to Manziel (at 7-4 and in first place in 2014), Cleveland has gone 4-33.

That's a disater of biblical proportions.

Good stuff, PFIC, I hadn't thought about the Hoyer thing. Ever since, that franchise hasn't even sniffed being near .500.

Post edit: Damn, I just calculated, since that moment of moving from Hoyer to Manziel (at 7-4 and in first place in 2014), Cleveland has gone 4-33.

That's a disater of biblical proportions.

They moved from hoyer to manziel at 7-6 not 7-4

I still have a sneaky suspicion that a Garropollo trade to Cleveland will include some sort of off-set for the (not to be realized) 3rd round comp pick for Collins. As I've said on numerous occasions, I highly doubt that Cleveland gets a 3rd round comp pick awarded this year. So instead of waiting til 2018 for a 4th round pick, the trade will be Jimmy and pick #64 plus the Seattle 4th round pick and the Collins pick for Cleveland's picks #12, and #33.

That would give the Pats a huge leverage position owning the last pick in the first round and the first pick in the second round.

The Seattle pick would have to be forfeited anyways, so why not add that to the mix. Cleveland gets Jimmy keeps pick #1 and then has picks #52, #64, #65, and a 4th.

I don't see any scenario where they don't trade him this offseason. BB knows Jimmy's value will never be any higher. Weak QB market and draft for that position. It couldn't have worked out better to receive a massive return for him.

I still have a sneaky suspicion that a Garropollo trade to Cleveland will include some sort of off-set for the (not to be realized) 3rd round comp pick for Collins. As I've said on numerous occasions, I highly doubt that Cleveland gets a 3rd round comp pick awarded this year. So instead of waiting til 2018 for a 4th round pick, the trade will be Jimmy and pick #64 plus the Seattle 4th round pick and the Collins pick for Cleveland's picks #12, and #33.

I'm still not understanding why you're so strongly doubtful on this. Overthecap.com anticipates that there will be nine 3rd round comp picks this year, and Alex Mack is ranked #7 in that bunch.

They do agree that he's on the bubble though. They believe top 5% of salary is ranking 105 -- which is all active roster and reserve lists (i.e. IR and PUP players). If you only included 53 man roster, the threshold would be #85. Mack is anticipated to be ranked #87.

Projecting The 2017 Compensatory Draft Picks | Over the Cap

I know it's uncertain, but in the words of our favorite investigator, I think it's more probable than not that Mack qualified for a 3rd.

That said -- I don't disagree with you that if they work out a trade with Cleveland, they could possibly simplify a few things and combine the Collins 3rd rounder and the Mingo 5th rounder into one package.

I'm still not understanding why you're so strongly doubtful on this. Overthecap.com anticipates that there will be nine 3rd round comp picks this year, and Alex Mack is ranked #7 in that bunch.

They do agree that he's on the bubble though. They believe top 5% of salary is ranking 105 -- which is all active roster and reserve lists (i.e. IR and PUP players). If you only included 53 man roster, the threshold would be #85. Mack is anticipated to be ranked #87.

Projecting The 2017 Compensatory Draft Picks | Over the Cap

I know it's uncertain, but in the words of our favorite investigator, I think it's more probable than not that Mack qualified for a 3rd.

That said -- I don't disagree with you that if they work out a trade with Cleveland, they could possibly simplify a few things and combine the Collins 3rd rounder and the Mingo 5th rounder into one package.

The NFL has never issued more than 6 3rd round comp picks, and it is a large gap between Mack's 9 million salary and #1-#6 on that list (11.2 million being the lowest). It just makes too much sense for the cut-off to be right there. Plus if you go to NFL.com they only list 6 comp picks in their "mock drafts".

The way Belichick likes his draft picks, I can imagine the following scenario:

Cleveland: "We'll give you a 1st rounder for Garoppolo."
Belichick: "No thanks."
Cleveland: "OK, instead of that, we will give you a 2nd rounder for Garoppolo."
Belichick: "Deal!!"

Very interesting that she thinks Hue J will trade for JAG AND draft a QB in the first round.

THINK ABOUT THAT! You would say she (or Hue) was crazy if she said they would draft two QBs in the first round, and that is in effect what she is saying. Desperate times, desperate measures.

Normally, I would say use that 2d 1st on an OL is a much better strategy. But, if you're in Cleveland and BB isn't your coach, do what you gotta to save your job I guess.

Very interesting that she thinks Hue J will trade for JAG AND draft a QB in the first round.

THINK ABOUT THAT! You would say she (or Hue) was crazy if she said they would draft two QBs in the first round, and that is in effect what she is saying. Desperate times, desperate measures.

Normally, I would say use that 2d 1st on an OL is a much better strategy. But, if you're in Cleveland and BB isn't your coach, do what you gotta to save your job I guess.

Lots of options when you have #1 and #12. Trade #12 and #33 for JG, then trade out of the #1 spot for a first and second. Now Cleveland has JG and all of their draftpicks, be it the first and second rounders are at a lower slot. That would be a no brainer for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes