PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Martellus Bennett : [UPDATE: Placed on IR]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike Hurley says don't bank on the Bennett/Patriots reunion.:rolleyes: Also a healthy Dwayne Allen is a better insurance for Gronk than a injured Bennett...I will have to disagree. :rolleyes:
0 catches half way through the season. Brady won't even throw to him, not even to take pressure off Gronk. He has not proven himself to be "Gronk insurance" of any sort.

Give me a hobbled Bennett over Dwayne Allen at this point. FFS at least he'll be able to reel in some catches. Allen hasn't been very impressive blocking either.

You're Preaching to the choir Kdo5.;)

I still think him being a threat to run routes & catch the ball impacts the defense relative to a 6th OL. There were at least a hand full of plays in the ATL game where he was out running routes. The defense was covering him. If he were open and Brady saw him I am confident Brady would throw it his way.

Furthermore, it is not clear how much of this is on Brady. Allen had two wide open plays for big gains where Brady missed him. This is not to imply it is necessarily Brady's fault either on those plays. Perhaps Allen ran the route wrong, or the timing was off, etc. My point is: even when he does not show up on the stats sheet, he is still changes the passing game.

It would allow the Patriots to use more 12 and 22 personnel again. As of right now, if the Patriots trot that onto the field, the defense can automatically key in on run and drop the safety down into the box. Running lanes are hard to come by. Bring in someone that isn't completely useless as a receiver as the TE2 (ala Bennett) to team with Gronk, and you can no longer drop that safety into the box because the Patriots can exploit you on the intermediate routes and up the seam. It also means that Gronk can no longer get double teamed and raped in the red zone. Bringing in a guy like Bennett (who can also block, mind you) opens up SO much for this offense. Think of the difference in the RZ offense alone from '09 to 2010 and what having Hernandez and Gronk did for the Patriots in that area of the field.

To all the Allen haters:

@Wheelman had an excellent comment reviewing Allen in the NE vs. LAC re-watch. Perhaps things are a bit more nuanced than "Allen sucks". He is helping in the run game.

If people are interested, I can make a compilation of Allen clips from the ATL game. I know he was out running routes in that one.

Imagine a Three TE set near in the RZ with Gronk - Bennett and Allen...Allen would be able to walk in he EZ everytime The D would totally forget him. Dwayne Allen would make a Excellent #3 TE here if we got Bennett back.:cool:

I agree @KontradictioN & @PatsFan2 , including the stuff I omitted from the quotes.

It would allow the Patriots to use more 12 and 22 personnel again... Think of the difference in the RZ offense alone from '09 to 2010 and what having Hernandez and Gronk ...

Imagine a Three TE set near in the RZ with Gronk - Bennett and Allen ..

Hence my "head and shoulders" joke. If MB wants to and is able to catch & block I am all for it. If he can't block anymore, I would rather keep what we have.

To all the Allen haters:

@Wheelman had an excellent comment reviewing Allen in the NE vs. LAC re-watch. Perhaps things are a bit more nuanced than "Allen sucks". He is helping in the run game.

If people are interested, I can make a compilation of Allen clips from the ATL game. I know he was out running routes in that one.
Maybe that is the case. But his invisibility in the passing game has been a major problem. Our season hinges on Gronk's health. We are putting too much pressure on him.

Blame Brady, Allen or both for his non involvement in the passing game but that's gotta be rectified. I hope Brady tosses him a few balls. If he even gets a catch or two it could get him rolling with at least a bit of confidence.

I agree @KontradictioN & @PatsFan2 , including the stuff I omitted from the quotes.

Hence my "head and shoulders" joke. If MB wants to and is able to catch & block I am all for it. If he can't block anymore, I would rather keep what we have.

The ability to block, when healthy, can't be questioned. He was solid in that regard last season. But the question is: how injured is the shoulder? If it's to the point where he can't hold up in pass protection, then yeah, I wouldn't expect him to be signed.

The ability to block, when healthy, can't be questioned. He was solid in that regard last season. But the question is: how injured is the shoulder? If it's to the point where he can't hold up in pass protection, then yeah, I wouldn't expect him to be signed.

Some Packers fans are saying the injured shoulder is BS and that Bennett simply did not try once Rodgers got hurt.

To all the Allen haters:

Allen is playing decently in the TE3 role, similar to Algae Crumpler in 2010. Problem is with his contract, the fact that he explicitly "replaced" Bennett, and the lack of other options, we were expecting him to be a TE2 and so were the Patriots. I don't want Allen gone, but if Bennett can still be a TE2 for us then you pick him up in a heartbeat. Regardless, there is no way the Pats aren't cutting Allen after the season as they certainly don't plan on paying a TE3 that type of money, they just fell into it this year due to the lack of better options.

Last edited:
Some Packers fans are saying the injured shoulder is BS and that Bennett simply did not try once Rodgers got hurt.

Reminds me when Blount was with the squealers. I hope we can get him back here. Someone might claim him though.

To all the Allen haters:

The interwebs don't do nuance, they do "he sucks" or "sign the beast!". If you try to do nuance, you get crushed by all the simpleton morons who don't ever get penalized for being morons because they move on to the next set of hot takes.

Maybe that is the case. But his invisibility in the passing game has been a major problem. Our season hinges on Gronk's health. We are putting too much pressure on him.

Blame Brady, Allen or both for his non involvement in the passing game but that's gotta be rectified. I hope Brady tosses him a few balls. If he even gets a catch or two it could get him rolling with at least a bit of confidence.

With hogan likely out for this game we need Dorsett to pick up this offense and make plays. I think having Bennett back would be good just in case of an injury with gronk.

If Bennett isn't out for the season, this is a no-brainer claim/sign for NE.

If Allen scores 3 TD's they'll have to be running plays. That guy has dropped every pass that made it to his stone fingers.

I posted a video of six of Allen's targets. He has had one ball hit him in the hands. So the stone hands stuff is incorrect. If you want to question his route running or not being able to get on the same page as Brady that's fair.

What effect does this have on the whole compensatory formula thing?

I posted a video of six of Allen's targets. He has had one ball hit him in the hands.

Heck, I'm shocked he has six targets this year.

One ball hit him in the hands, yeah, but what about...

OTE4CyD.gif

...the ones that hit him in the face? :)

The interwebs don't do nuance, they do "he sucks" or "sign the beast!". If you try to do nuance, you get crushed by all the simpleton morons who don't ever get penalized for being morons because they move on to the next set of hot takes.

Is this a hot take about hot takers?

Bennett has looked horrible this season, we need to stay away from this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe