PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Martellus Bennett to retire after this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow.

Wonder if the Packers will pursue the signing bonus money of $4.2M. That's a sizeable chunk against their cap.

And if so, I wonder if that changes Marty's tune.

Ok, someone's got to say it..... Dwayne Allen for Marty Bennett? Pats only take on his salary for 2017 then he retires (Packers deal with signing bonus and any recovery issues), acquire a guy who knows and thrived in our system, and trade away a guy who probably will be cut at the end of the year. Packers chances are slim this year with Rogers out, and they gain an 8 game audition with Allen to see if he'd connect and be productive in their system next year; otherwise they can cut him too.

Ok, someone's got to say it..... Dwayne Allen for Marty Bennett? Pats only take on his salary for 2017 then he retires (Packers deal with signing bonus and any recovery issues), acquire a guy who knows and thrived in our system, and trade away a guy who probably will be cut at the end of the year. Packers chances are slim this year with Rogers out, and they gain an 8 game audition with Allen to see if he'd connect and be productive in their system next year; otherwise they can cut him too.

Probably a pipe dream, but that would be nice.

The decision to move on from him seems slightly less bad now.

Though god we could really use him this season.

The decision to move on from him seems slightly less bad now.

Though god we could really use him this season.

I would say this makes it look more bad actually.

Since the logical reason for choosing Allen over Bennett would have been that signing a 30+ player to a 3 year deal is a bigger risk for declining production.

I'm still holding out for the Dwayne Allen for LeGarrett Blount trade.

The funny $5 million thing is he probably could have just waited til he was cut after the season since his deal is effectively a 1 year deal and not had to deal with any attempts to reclaim his signing bonus.

Is he dealing with any injuries?

I don't begrudge a player for trying to pile up as much money as possible.
With that said, if a player is wise with his money from the moment he gets a multi year NFL contract as well as the yearly salaries, lifetime financial comfort shouldn't be a problem even if he has to return 4.5m of the contract. Playing safe but smart with a handful of million can see you comfortably net 6 figures for life. And I assume MB has a very good monthly NFL retirement check coming as well as decent paying opps at some NFL talkshow. I guess it all comes down to if he is looking to hit the FU money status.

If he has to return the 4.5 does it also include interest or gains? If he put that 4.5 in a simple index fund, 2017 has probably seen him make better than a 1/4 million off of that 4,5. If he invested it in a pretty numerous list of stocks -- say weight watchers? 4.5 Million in February is now over 10 million. Do the stockholders of the Packers say "Marty, we want that 10 million back!" :)

The funny $5 million thing is he probably could have just waited til he was cut after the season since his deal is effectively a 1 year deal and not had to deal with any attempts to reclaim his signing bonus.

If that's true Prime - and MB didn't seem to be a dummy -- then that suggests to me his comment is intended to hint to GB he wants to be traded or he wants them to offer a longer term deal.

Odd, it's not like he is long in the tooth (in NFL years he is in middle age but certainly not part of the geritol squad). Maybe he only wants to play a year or two more and playing on a winner is seen as extra important? Maybe he just hates it that much in GB?
Otherwise a guy who is 30, healthy, and seemingly playing at a high level is retiring? Either he has been very smart with his investments and money is extra abundant, or he simply has lost the fire to continue to do the mental/physical grind of an NFL season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back