PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Martellus Bennett signs with Packers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I loved Bennett and am sad to see him go. Problem for him is he just turned 30 and the Pats may have not wanted to give him a 3 year deal even if it was only at around 7M per year. He goes to a fun team to watch and I hope he does well.
The press was reporting he wanted $9M/year and almost always those numbers come from the agent. So, in the end, MB gambled he was worth $9M/year but lost. We know it's a 3 year deal, but the way these things are structured, usually it's easy to walk away from the deal after 1 or 2 seasons, so in reality it's probably structured as a 2 year deal with a cuttable third year. We also know he ended up underbidding Jared Cook to get the gig, so he actually dragged down the TE market rather than raising it up. I guess Super Bowl winners do get paid, but not as much as MB thought they did.

The press was reporting he wanted $9M/year and almost always those numbers come from the agent. So, in the end, MB gambled he was worth $9M/year but lost. We know it's a 3 year deal, but the way these things are structured, usually it's easy to walk away from the deal after 1 or 2 seasons, so in reality it's probably structured as a 2 year deal with a cuttable third year. We also know he ended up underbidding Jared Cook to get the gig, so he actually dragged down the TE market rather than raising it up. I guess Super Bowl winners do get paid, but not as much as MB thought they did.

Its funny, Bill seems to peg the market better than the agents do time and time again. Pats were prepared to pay marty top of this years market for te's looking back on it

So, Marty goes to the Packers and got a 3yr/$21M deal.. Umm.. isn't that close to the same APY that he was supposedly offered by the Pats??

Guess he'll run Imagination Nation out of Chicago.

In: Cooks, Allen, Gilmore, Panthers dude.
Out: Ryan, Bennett, Sheard, LONG .

Updated your message since Chris Long said he wouldn't be re-signing.

Good luck Marty and thanks for helping win the SB. He found out his market value, and the pats found a cheaper replacement and didn't wait for their options to disappear. It's just the nature of the business. And its not like hes going to a losing franchise either

Beyond the issues of the Patriots offering a shorter contract (likely with a smaller signing bonus) and Marty's agent overvaluing his market and the Patriots moving on... he also will be the #1 TE in Green Bay. Playing time matters to competitors, and Bennett, who played most of this year injured, is a competitor.

Best of luck to him, and unlike many posters here, I think he found a better situation for himself than New England, even if he didn't get all the money he hoped.

he's kind of a slug in the passing game we know he was injured but he was never seam buster TE like Gronk and he's an average RZ threat Dwayne Allen is better in the RZ as we will see. That said thank you Marty for what you did for us I will cheer for you but not against our Patriots.
1) No one is a "seam buster TE like Gronk".
2) He was looking more than fine before he was injured.

You have to wonder if playing time played into this as well. If gronk is healthy and with the addition of our weapons bennett here has to be prepared to block more and expect only 400-500 yards.

In green bay he is the clear #1 tight end and a top target. In New england he is a piece in the pecking order.

Dwayne allen seems to be content in being a blocker and occasional pass catcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes