PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mariota more than likely to be released per source.

H

Tribisky, draft Surtain at 15, trade Gilmore and pick a QB in the 4th.

The same list of reasons that you list for bringing Mariotas career back from the dead apply to Tribisky as well. Nobody wants Mariotas contract either and that's why Vegas can't trade him.
I don't hate this idea. I just think Mariota is better than Trib. But I am not sure it really matters that much. We need a QB high though.

I don't hate this idea. I just think Mariota is better than Trib. But I am not sure it really matters that much. We need a QB high though.
I'd be okay with Trubisky. Pretty sure if a thread came up about him, there'd be as many people naysaying it as there are naysaying Mariota.

Jimmy G., Mariota...whomever they can get and think might work.

I'd be okay with Trubisky. Pretty sure if a thread came up about him, there'd be as many people naysaying it as there are naysaying Mariota.

Yep. We just have to manage expectations. 2021 is not a SB contending year. We probably are not even a WC team and that is Ok. Just take the cap and fill in as many holes as you can without spending a ton on a retread QB. That being said, we have to find the QB in the draft it at all possible or else we are in this perpetual purgatory for the foreseeable future.

I’m aboard Trubiksy or Mariota as. Bridge QB.
Maybe we can trade Stidham for Mariota straight up?
Gruden loves QBs and need a back up.
This is only if the reports about the team giving up on him are remotely true.

If I'm Mariota the last place I'd want to go is NE:

1. Total lack of offensive weapons;
2. Complicated system to learn, making chances of success less likely;
3. Very difficult to follow after the GOAT legacy with a rough fan base;
4. Not being perceived as "the guy," just a place holder.
5. GM known for low balling contracts.

I'd want to go to a franchise where I stood a chance of becoming the franchise "starter." That's not happening here. Maybe a Carolina or Denver.

Obviously if it's June and nobody's called (but then isn't there a reason nobody called?).

I don't think Mariota wants a long term deal. I think he wants an one year prove it contract. What he wants to do is go to a place and show he can be a starter and then parlay it into a much better contract. The Pats may or may not be that place for him.

I don't think Mariota wants a long term deal. I think he wants an one year prove it contract. What he wants to do is go to a place and show he can be a starter and then parlay it into a much better contract. The Pats may or may not be that place for him.
I agree and that is why I hesitate to think he will sign with us. That is why we should trade for him.

Yep. We just have to manage expectations. 2021 is not a SB contending year. We probably are not even a WC team and that is Ok. Just take the cap and fill in as many holes as you can without spending a ton on a retread QB. That being said, we have to find the QB in the draft it at all possible or else we are in this perpetual purgatory for the foreseeable future.
I neither accept nor agree with this.

The Patriots have a lot of very good players, who just need some purer talent around them for them to succeed. The Patriots have the money to fill in those holes (their $63million in Cap space assumes the return of all 8 opt-outs), and there will be plenty of really good football players looking for a job in three weeks, and only a few teams in position to afford them (or need them for their specific positions).

Hightower back with the LB corps, add Matthew Judon and a true NT to that DL and what does their front seven look like?

Add a Jonnu Smith (or even someone like a Jesse James if he becomes a cap casualty), or Cooks or Henry at TE.

Add a couple of TY Hilton or Rashad Higgins, Corey Davis, Curtis Samuel, and a bunch of others as the cut-downs (Pryor) begin, and suddenly the receiving corps looks pretty good.

Maybe they lose Thuney but keep Andrews. With Cannon back, Onwenu and Herron and Cajuste, that OL remains solid.

QB isn't everything. That fallacy is being over-hyped because of a couple of notable (particularly ONE) exception.

Jake Delhmma almost beat the '04 Pats, Eli Manning beat them in '07 and '11, Nick Foles beat them!

Here, go back 21 years of Superbowl QB match-ups:

If it wasn't for one name, WHO WILL NEVER BE REPLACED, who would be thinking that it's BEST QB OR BUST?

Look at the list! Dilfer, Collins, Warner(x2), Gannon, Johnson, Delhomme, McNab, Hasslebeck, Grossman, Eli(x2), Kaepernick, Newton, Ryan, Foles, Goff, Garoppolo.

You see a lot of Hall of Famers there? Eli will make it, but meh. Warner had a couple of great years with a superstar team around him.

The power of the QB as the end all, be all comes from the fact that Brady has been so unbelievably dominant over that run. Take him out of the equation, and the list I gave you contains 18 of the 32 starting QB slots since 2000 not named Tom brady.

I'm hearing Bill has had conversations with multiple QBs and he's been offering short term / incentive heavy contracts to everyone and even tossing in a couple of gift certificates to the TB12 Sports Rub Clinic across the parking lot.

This site is littered with years and years of LOL at Qbs like Mariota and how its great we dont need to bank our teams success on avg QBS paid like studs.

Now people foam at the mouth to sign guys who couldnt even start on non playoff teams.

It hurts me to see this happen.

I think there's a huge difference between Jimmy G and Mariota.

Trubisky, I see similar to Mariota.

I think there's a huge difference between Jimmy G and Mariota.

Trubisky, I see similar to Mariota.

I'd take Mariota 10/10 times over JimmyG. Just based on injury history alone.

Trubisky is in the same class as Brissett: total trash. Cam would be a better choice than those two bozos.

But then again I get it. You dont like Mariota, for some reason keep coming back into threads specifically about him to repeat your uninsightful takes repeatedly and go into other threads to spread misleading quotes and out right lies.

How about you do everyone who wants to have a reasonable discussion a favor and use the ignore button on Mariota related threads until a point where you have something new to contribute.

I'd take Mariota 10/10 times over JimmyG.

tenor.gif

I agree and that is why I hesitate to think he will sign with us. That is why we should trade for him.

The problem with trading for him is the contract. It’s only cost effective if he tears it up here. Otherwise you’re either paying 20m for another cam, or 10m for a backup. It’s not worth the risk imo, better to wait till he’s released and do something on our terms or let someone else take the chance.

You get what you pay for...Cam's 1 million. Does anyone really want to pay pennies again and have a similar result from a vet? No problem trading for Mariota and paying him 20 m if he plays well starting. If he doesn't play well...sit him and pay him 10.

You get what you pay for...Cam's 1 million. Does anyone really want to pay pennies again and have a similar result from a vet? No problem trading for Mariota and paying him 20 m if he plays well starting. If he doesn't play well...sit him and pay him 10.
If MM had another 2016 $20m is very reasonable.

What....JaMarcus Russell isn't available? Hairyodor belongs on the beach playing a ukelele and singing Don Ho's "Tiny Bubbles" with Kumon Iwanalaya...
Always can respect a Grumpy Ol' Men reference. It's like docking the boat in old tuna town!

If I'm Mariota the last place I'd want to go is NE:

1. Total lack of offensive weapons;
2. Complicated system to learn, making chances of success less likely;
3. Very difficult to follow after the GOAT legacy with a rough fan base;
4. Not being perceived as "the guy," just a place holder.
5. GM known for low balling contracts.

I'd want to go to a franchise where I stood a chance of becoming the franchise "starter." That's not happening here. Maybe a Carolina or Denver.

Obviously if it's June and nobody's called (but then isn't there a reason nobody called?).
Why do people keep mentioning Carolina? They want to improve on Bridgwater. The owner has expressed this publicly (I believe) that will either be a trade (Wilson, Watson) or the draft. Mariota is not an improvement over Bridgewater at best it's a lateral move and I am not really convinced of that either.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Back