PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mariota more than likely to be released per source.

This guy can't be worse than Cam.
Stephen Colbert Idk GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

Do you see the Patriots as the only team that will try to sign him? If no, would you get into a bidding war to get him?
I expect the NEP have a $ in mind for him. They may extend themselves a little but I don't see them getting into a bidding war for him.

They'll just move on to Plan B, Plan C and Plan D.

I expect the NEP have a $ in mind for him. They may extend themselves a little but I don't see them getting into a bidding war for him.

By Plan B, C and D you mean QB B, C and D correct?

Looks like last year they only had two plans:

Plan A: Stidham/Hoyer.
Plan B: get a cheap vet QB (Cam).
Plan C: draft QB (Nope).

Last year, they didn't have any cap space.

I am 100% convinced this is correct. They've slotted between x and y for _____ player. Any more, they will move on. It's all about that value statement.

Plan A, B and C in 2020 was fix the cap and win as many games as possible with what they had after the opt-outs.

I am 100% convinced this is correct. They've slotted between x and y for _____ player. Any more, they will move on. It's all about that value statement.
It's pretty evident how they approach free agency.

They don't bid against themselves. They don't overpay. They do their homework and when they do act, they do it very quietly and quickly.

I think we'll sign him and draft one of the top 5 Qbs
Not a bad plan. If we sign Marcus, I hope we sign a couple receivers who will be good in short passing game and generate offense thru YAC. I’m thinking Curtis Samuel and Jonnu Smith. Still leaves us a good amount of spending money

Not my first choice by far, but I think if the Pats can get the right pieces around him, the Pats can win for a year or two with Mariota while they developed the QB of the future. Most likely wouldn't make them a Super Bowl contender, but at least in the hunt. I think McDaniels and Belichick can find a way to use Mariota's talents at least in the short term like Vrabel did with Tannehill.

That said, we would need Belichick to be the GM he was in 2007 and not the GM he was the last few years. This roster needs to be much better than it is right now.

Last edited:
Not a bad plan. If we sign Marcus, I hope we sign a couple receivers who will be good in short passing game and generate offense thru YAC. I’m thinking Curtis Samuel and Jonnu Smith. Still leaves us a good amount of spending money
Yea I have no illusions about MM. Hes a passable, functional, middling NFL QB. Structure the deal so if he plays, produces and wins he is compensated appropriately. If he doesn't, ensure the cap hits are minimized if cut.

If in 2022 the next franchise QB is ready, MM is gone and the youngling is starting on a rookie deal.

Any QB drafted would most likely -- except in case of injuries, suspensions and whatnot -- be mostly redshirted at least the first year while BB and McDaniels develop him in the background. You will still need a vet QB. Ideally your vet option has some overlap with what the strength of the drafted guy are and you have continuity when it comes to skill players and their respective roles.

Cam and Mariota bring the mobile element with them even though in different ways. It makes a lot of sense to me to get Mariota and then do a minor trade up for e.g. Trey Lance. Whether any of the two will work out is different story but it makes sense on paper as the offense shouldn't shift dramatically between the vet and the rookie.
I have been wondering about that too. They retooled a lot last year to fit things to Cam's style - is it better to keep moving down that same track offensively, whether it is Cam again this year or a guy like Mariota, while drafting someone who also fits in that way? If they draft a Mac Jones type then Mariota doesn't really gel with that type of offense... but if Mariota was at least an OK passer, it may really fit the team's strengths since the OL has been pretty good in the run game and Harris seems very good, with hope for Michel and maybe Taylor (2nd year jump) and Burkhead (if he comes back and recovers well)

Last edited:
If I'm Mariota the last place I'd want to go is NE:

1. Total lack of offensive weapons;
2. Complicated system to learn, making chances of success less likely;
3. Very difficult to follow after the GOAT legacy with a rough fan base;
4. Not being perceived as "the guy," just a place holder.
5. GM known for low balling contracts.

I'd want to go to a franchise where I stood a chance of becoming the franchise "starter." That's not happening here. Maybe a Carolina or Denver.

Obviously if it's June and nobody's called (but then isn't there a reason nobody called?).

Cam and Mariota bring the mobile element with them even though in different ways. It makes a lot of sense to me to get Mariota and then do a minor trade up for e.g. Trey Lance. Whether any of the two will work out is different story but it makes sense on paper as the offense shouldn't shift dramatically between the vet and the rookie.
What makes you think it will take a "minor" trade up to land Lance?

Do you think it could take a 2020 #1, #2, and a 2022 #1 plus more? Is that minor?

If I'm Mariota the last place I'd want to go is NE:

1. Total lack of offensive weapons;
2. Complicated system to learn, making chances of success less likely;
3. Very difficult to follow after the GOAT legacy with a rough fan base;
4. Not being perceived as "the guy," just a place holder.
5. GM known for low balling contracts.

I'd want to go to a franchise where I stood a chance of becoming the franchise "starter." That's not happening here. Maybe a Carolina or Denver.

Obviously if it's June and nobody's called (but then isn't there a reason nobody called?).
And I'd be just the opposite, were I Mariota. This is where I'd definitely want to go. it's not just about yards (dumping off to McCaffery), it's about the next contract.

Great coaching, top OL, LOTS of exposure. If he's looking to restart his career, there's no better place in the world to be than here. Carolina isn't winning anything anytime soon.

Yeah, I get it, Tom brady left, everyone hates New England, FelgergrumbleMazzsnort...

It's the most stable organization in the NFL. And they have plenty of money to stock some weapons.

What makes you think it will take a "minor" trade up to land Lance?

Do you think it could take a 2020 #1, #2, and a 2022 #1 plus more? Is that minor?

What makes me think it will be a minor trade is that I would only trade up if he is available outside the first 10 picks. If someone picks him before then so be it. I set my max price before I go into the draft and if I can't have him for that but have to overpay then I simply move on and go with BPA and strengthen my front 7. That's what the bridge QB is for in the first place.

As everything it is all about value.

Mariota will likely go to the bidder who can pay him 10 million or more . With his current contract structure, doubt any team would trade him.

There is no team apart from us who would want him as a starter. Maybe broncos that's it..we should be able to get him for 5 million + bonus topping at 9 million.
I think there will be a pretty robust market for him actually. If it comes down to a bidding contest, I can see us easily getting topped by the Redskins or Broncos. I also think he will be coveted as a backup too.

Dilemma I see with Mariota or any other vet stop gap QB (let's face it, no SB for Pats this season) is being able to learn the complicated Patriots playbook, which is "calculus" for the QB.

On top of that, bringing FA or rookie receivers that also have to learn all the route trees, etc., is not something likely to work effectively the 1st year.

We've seen dozens of receivers not able to grasp the playbook and that was with the GOAT under center.

Mariota + new WR/TE = TOs galore.

Paying >$10M for "maybe" a couple more wins is not worth it.

As bad as it sounds, it's probably better to bring back Cam that with a full offseason workout will be better than last year; where he was learning as he played after being thrown to the wolves. It'll be way cheaper and allow for Bill to fill the substantial holes the team has everywhere else.

Obviously need to draft a QB in 1st round, period. Need to move on from Stidham, so hopefully next guy's the guy.
Cam pretty much admitted that his football IQ is not great and that he is more of an improv guy. We don't know about Mariota. He could pick up just fine. Hoyer did and he was undrafted. I also think with Cam in particular, we signed him on June 28 which was asking a lot of him especially with no preseason games. If we like Mariota then we need to sign him in March. Don't wait until after the draft. Given him as much time as possible to learn.

H
Tell us your better plan.
Tribisky, draft Surtain at 15, trade Gilmore and pick a QB in the 4th.

The same list of reasons that you list for bringing Mariotas career back from the dead apply to Tribisky as well. Nobody wants Mariotas contract either and that's why Vegas can't trade him.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back