PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Marcus Jones: the Pats version of Deion Sanders?

If they're not going to use him as an "inside" corner to cover slot receivers -- which is what I thought he was drafted for -- I think he should be permanently placed at slot receiver/punt returner a la Welker, Edelman, etc. That has been a position of need for three years now. Then let him play defense occasionally in emergency situations.
What a great problem to have. Seems like he'd have even more value on offense. The slot position has been key for us over the years and a big gap the last few. If Strong is even close to what he showed, and Thornton develops, we got ourselves some speed!

If they're not going to use him as an "inside" corner to cover slot receivers -- which is what I thought he was drafted for -- I think he should be permanently placed at slot receiver/punt returner a la Welker, Edelman, etc. That has been a position of need for three years now. Then let him play defense occasionally in emergency situations.

I think that's actually how they're going to try to do it now, but Monday night they went in without Mills and then lost Jack Jones fairly early on, so Marcus took a lot of extra defensive reps. Hopefully with some health luck, they can use him as their primary returner, then mix and match him on offense/defense depending on what's needed.

Dieon Sanders?
Bull GIF by CBS

I like the player. A lot. A wicked lot. But let's not compare him to Prime just yet.

I think that's actually how they're going to try to do it now, but Monday night they went in without Mills and then lost Jack Jones fairly early on, so Marcus took a lot of extra defensive reps. Hopefully with some health luck, they can use him as their primary returner, then mix and match him on offense/defense depending on what's needed.
I think it's Bill/the team adapting. Now that we're playing flag football, speed is more important than ever.

"Let's not put him in Canton yet, fellas"

There is no comparison.

Prime Time was one of the GOAT CBs in NFL history.

Not to mention a damn snappy dresser who flat out knew how to accessorize

1671042336154.png

If Mac can settle down and start processing everything so he is comfortable (big if), I think 2023 and beyond for this team is very exciting. Double-digit sack guys, much faster on D, Thornton. M Jones, and Strong can really fly, the RBs are exciting guys, and we have Cap Space. Even the Globe ran a story about the Pats future looking bright (now that is remarkable). You must be a half empty guy.
We need 3 OTs. That's a problem.

Maybe he'll be the next Welker...but we don't know... Edelman took 6 years.... we'll see.

I really like Jack Jones and with some more experience and he learns when to gamble jumping routes better, he could be a top CB in this league. But right now, he isn't close to Sauce Gardner. I was pissed to the Texans took Stingley over Gardner.

Sure three to five years from now, Jones could be considered far better than Gardner. But right now, it looks like the Jets may have Revis 2.0.

I really like Jack Jones and with some more experience and he learns when to gamble jumping routes better, he could be a top CB in this league. But right now, he isn't close to Sauce Gardner. I was pissed to the Texans took Stingley over Gardner.

Sure three to five years from now, Jones could be considered far better than Gardner. But right now, it looks like the Jets may have Revis 2.0.
Great 2022 draft.

Pats need to give Zappe another chance this season. Maybe the Raiders game.

It's time to pump the brakes when people are making comparisons to Deion and Tyreek.

His future is bright.
He’s electric on the field and smooth and suave off it—a go-to resource for companies looking for a spokesman for tv commercials.

I really like what I am seeing from the guy, but any Deion comparisons may be a bit premature.
The dude already has "1 start" in the NFL so alert Canton

:cool:
Would love to have a real OC at NE with the ability to develop and expand MJ's pass catching role.

Size wise....
Marcus Jones 5'8" 185lbs (Note Deion Sanders 6'1" 195lbs)
An incher shorter than Welker but same weight
Edelman 5'10" 195lbs
Troy Brown 5'10 196lbs

I wonder how we'd do at this if Bill Belichick could draft

it was only a matter of time before someone did this....

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back