PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Marcus Jones: the Pats version of Deion Sanders?

If they're not going to use him as an "inside" corner to cover slot receivers -- which is what I thought he was drafted for -- I think he should be permanently placed at slot receiver/punt returner a la Welker, Edelman, etc. That has been a position of need for three years now. Then let him play defense occasionally in emergency situations.

Wouldn’t shock me if he turns out to be a Hester type of player they envisioned Cyrus Jones to be.

If they're not going to use him as an "inside" corner to cover slot receivers -- which is what I thought he was drafted for -- I think he should be permanently placed at slot receiver/punt returner a la Welker, Edelman, etc. That has been a position of need for three years now. Then let him play defense occasionally in emergency situations.
Yep. The Patriots scariest kick returners have turned into exceptional slot receivers, and Marcus Jones seems to have that kind of exceptional ability.

Interesting notion. I like the kid a lot though. It’s hard to find things to be excited about with this team but he is growing into one of them.

Hey... hey I compared him to both players first. Yeah... yeah I know a broken clock is right twice a day.

Keep M Jones on Offense and go Deep to him.

Deon Sanders was a shut down CB first and foremost. His half of the field was no trespassing. He made QB pay dearly for going at him.

Marcus Jones is looking good, but isnt Jack Jones more of a lock down CB?

Interesting notion. I like the kid a lot though. It’s hard to find things to be excited about with this team but he is growing into one of them.

If Mac can settle down and start processing everything so he is comfortable (big if), I think 2023 and beyond for this team is very exciting. Double-digit sack guys, much faster on D, Thornton. M Jones, and Strong can really fly, the RBs are exciting guys, and we have Cap Space. Even the Globe ran a story about the Pats future looking bright (now that is remarkable). You must be a half empty guy.

I really like what I am seeing from the guy, but any Deion comparisons may be a bit premature.

That's where I'm at right now. Love what I'm seeing and think this guy has huge potential, so I'm excited to see if he can attain those lofty heights. Hopefully, he can "ignore the noise".

He may be our version of Deion in terms of versatility, but I doubt he's anywhere near Deion in terms of his ability as a corner. I hope I'm wrong but Deion was an amazing shutdown corner.

He may be our version of Deion in terms of versatility, but I doubt he's anywhere near Deion in terms of his ability as a corner. I hope I'm wrong but Deion was an amazing shutdown corner.
There is no comparison.

Prime Time was one of the GOAT CBs in NFL history.

As @BaconGrundleCandy can attest to, I wanted Marcus Jones for the Patriots in the lead up to the draft. I love his versatility. I compared him to the reverse of Troy Brown.. Jones is an excellent CB (both inside and outside) and excellent on special teams/. And he can fill in as a WR.

His future is bright..

Agreed. Woodson/Revis/Deion/Bailey are the best I've ever seen. I am too young to have seen much of Darrell Green but he seems to get mentioned in the same category...

Point being, I think Jones is a fantastic weapon and a great football player, but comparing to Deion is a bit much.

Thats like when the Media/some folks on here were saying we found our "next Tom Brady" in Mac Jones

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back