PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Marcus Cannon's illness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not on it's own!!!

The Flu possibly ADDED on to a weakened immune system would be the concern

As I said, hopefully, it was just a really terrible bug that he is getting over very slowly just becuase it was a terrible bug. But reports are that at least 9 other players had it and none of them are on the list anymore. And none of them got the BB press conference adulation treatment.

i'm sure cannon has had the flu since he had leukemia and this hasn't happened before. I also think that if this was in anyway related to his previous illness he wouldn't be playing out of an abundance of caution just like andrews

A weakened immune system can really exacerbate the effects of a flu virus. My Mom had a poor immune system and any virus she caught could very quickly develop into pneumonia and put her in the hospital.

There's literally as much proof that it's bad herpes as there is that it's a relapse of cancer, especially considering the rest of the Patriots team was also dealing with flu-like symptoms. The point of the joke responses was that this thread is very weird baseless **** slinging.
...not to mention, he says his whole family has it.

The treatment side effects - - -Not the treatments on their own!!!

The Flu possibly ADDED on to a weakened immune system could be the concern. I have a client who had cancer treatments and it was very successful - - however he now has a weakened heart condition caused by the treatment. A bad bug would affect him differently than it would someone without that side effect. He fully knows this.

As I said, hopefully, it was just a really terrible bug that he is getting over very slowly just because it was a terrible bug. But reports are that at least 9 other Patriots had it.

1) Cannon is the only one BB singled out on November 24 as heroically dealing with it

2) Cannon is the only one that still has "illness" 3 weeks later.

3) He's the only one that had chemo 8 years ago (and chemo affects the organs and immune system going forward).

Again, hopefully it was just the bug alone and that he is fully cleared of it very soon. But the OP is not far afield to wonder.
Cliff Claven’s answer in final jeopardy was correct :eek:

A weakened immune system can really exacerbate the effects of a flu virus. My Mom had a poor immune system and any virus she caught could very quickly develop into pneumonia and put her in the hospital.
Sorry to hear about your mom.

I just went through HIPAA training (among other things) for my new job this past week, and what I can say is that as a software engineer with access to sensitive medical and personal information, I am definitely not allowed to disclose anything I see and HIPAA is the reason. I'm not a healthcare provider, and it's arguable whether the institution I'm working at would be considered one, so I don't think it's as simple as "the only people bound to HIPAA are medical providers."

Edit for context: I can only speak as someone working in Massachusetts.
It’s because your employer is (likely) a vendor to a covered entity which in turn makes you guys a covered entity.

That’s not the case at hand. The NE Patriots are not a covered entity in their own right nor are they a vendor to a covered entity, so they’re not going to be subject to HIPAA. There may be other privacy laws that may prevent them from talking about player health issues, but HIPAA isn’t one of them.

(I am also a software engineer working in MA for a medical software company who has potential access to medical data subject to HIPAA protections.)

Last edited:
It’s because your employer is (likely) a vendor to a covered entity which in turn makes you guys a coveted entity.

That’s not the case at hand. The NE Patriots are not a covered entity in their own right nor are they a vendor to a covered entity, so they’re not going to be subject to HIPAA. There may be other privacy laws that may prevent them from talking about player health issues, but HIPAA isn’t one of them.

(I am also a software engineer working in MA for a medical software company who has potential access to medical data subject to HIPAA protections.)
If he is examined and treated by a team doctor i would assume that would wrap hipaa protection requirements around the entire organization.

Last edited:
It’s because your employer is (likely) a vendor to a covered entity which in turn makes you guys a covered entity.

The Patriots both employ medical providers and the team serves as a self-insured group insurance policy so they would be subject to HIPAA as a covered entity. The CBA however authorizes football-relevant disclosure to coaches and staff of the employing club, with the following caveat (as well as the fact that players can have a second opinion without any input from team doctors to the second opinion physician and that players can examine their own medical records twice per year).

Doctor/Patient Relationship. The cost of medical services rendered by Club physicians will be the responsibility of the respective Clubs, but each Club physician’s primary duty in providing player medical care shall be not to the Club but instead to the player-patient. This duty shall include traditional physician/patient confidentiality requirements. In addition, all Club physicians and medical personnel shall comply with all federal, state, and local requirements, including all ethical rules and standards established by any applicable government and/or other authority that regulates or governs the medical profession in the Club’s city. All Club physicians are required to disclose to a player any and all information about the player’s physical condition that the physician may from time to time provide to a coach or other Club representative, whether or not such information affects the player’s performance or health. If a Club physician advises a coach or other Club representative of a player’s serious injury or career threatening physical condition which significantly affects the player’s performance or health, the physician will also advise the player in writing. The player, after being advised of such serious injury or career-threatening physical condition, may request a copy of the Club physician's record from the examination in which such physical condition was diagnosed and/or a written explanation from the Club physician of the physical condition.

In the end, we need to trust that BB will put the best, healthiest 46 players on the field against the Chiefs, realizing that practically everyone is hurting to some extent this time of the season.

In the end, we need to trust that BB will put the best, healthiest 46 players on the field against the Chiefs, realizing that practically everyone is hurting to some extent this time of the season.

If he had, then AB would be among them.

For a guy with cancer he played a lot today.

It's also worth noting that cancer, particularly leukemia and lymphoma, can weaken the immune system and make ordinary illnesses harder to shake. After suffering from lymphoma and undergoing chemo, Cannon's immune system is likely to be damaged, so he's not going to bounce back from the flu as quickly as some others might.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Back