PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Marcus Cannon's illness

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we can either rule out that it’s herpes since he said his whole family had it, or else there is a larger issue here.

Same with cancer as it is not contagious.

I think we can either rule out that it’s herpes since he said his whole family had it, or else there is a larger issue here.

Same with cancer as it is not contagious.

Flu can definitely be one of the issues. It can affect people with lower immunities much harder than others.

BB doesn't go into Florence Nightinghale mode in his pressers over just anything. Anybody who has followed the guy at these things had their ears perk up when he interjected those last statements and made special mention at the end. That was NOVEMBER 24. it is now December 7 and he is still isted with "illness".

Again, hopefully Marcus was just vomitting the state of Rhode Island, shocked the team and BB, and is now over it. But it's been 2 weeks since that presser and he still is listed with "Illness".

Last edited:
Flu can definitely be one of the issues. It can affect people with lower immunities much harder than others.

BB doesn't go into Florence Nightinghale mode in his pressers over just anything. Anybody who has followed the guy at these things had their ears perk up when he interjected those last statements and made special mention at the end. That was NOVEMBER 24. it is now December 7 and he is still isted with "illness".

Again, hopefully Marcus was just vomitting the state of Rhode Island, shocked the team and BB, and is now over it. But it's been 2 weeks since that presser and he still is listed with "Illness".
These are his comments.
"I’ll just say one final thing then in closing that one of the real top efforts today would have to go to Marcus Cannon," Belichick said after his team beat the Cowboys, 13-9. "Marcus was, three days, just feeling under-the-weather. I honestly didn’t expect him to play today. We talked before the game, and he felt like he’d be able to work through it, so we tried to help him out a little bit there at the half.

"But, I would say overall, it was one of the top efforts I’ve seen. For a guy who just barely had enough strength to put on his uniform, went out there and played against multiple good football players."

I think you are seeing things that aren’t there. If he so sick from the flu that he barely could put his uniform on less than 2 weeks ago, it’s easy to understand how he is less than 100% still and could be a bit limited in practice.

The flu is bad, he could have been going from both ends

Not sure a bad case of herpes would have received the Belichick hero treatment in a postgame press conference. The last time I can ever recall him ever speaking about a player's condition as a mark of bravery was............2011 - Cannon's rookie year when he was getting treatments.

Anyone who has even a cursory understanding of BB pressers to the media for 20+ years knows that THIS was different than a guy getting herpes......

It may be nothing at all, but the OP certainly has a point. I'm certainly hoping it has nothing to do with what Cannon had in the past. Hopefuly the guy just has had a hellacious case of the flu that he is getting over. It's been about 3 weeks at this point. Not sure, but I seem to think he had to be taken out of the Eagles game.

Yes, clearly the sensible thing to do is assume any player praised by Belichick has cancer.

These are his comments.
"I’ll just say one final thing then in closing that one of the real top efforts today would have to go to Marcus Cannon," Belichick said after his team beat the Cowboys, 13-9. "Marcus was, three days, just feeling under-the-weather. I honestly didn’t expect him to play today. We talked before the game, and he felt like he’d be able to work through it, so we tried to help him out a little bit there at the half.

"But, I would say overall, it was one of the top efforts I’ve seen. For a guy who just barely had enough strength to put on his uniform, went out there and played against multiple good football players."

I think you are seeing things that aren’t there. If he so sick from the flu that he barely could put his uniform on less than 2 weeks ago, it’s easy to understand how he is less than 100% still and could be a bit limited in practice.

Lots of guys have had the flu bad on that team. None were called out at a BB presser. For BB to do THAT is extraordinary. I'm still searching for any other examples of that ever happening aside form Cannon's rookie year. Can you find one?

.....and 14 days/2 weeks later.

Oh he can definitely (hopefully) get rid of this bug. It just takes longer if someone has a weakened immune system. That's all. Hopefully it is just a hellacious bug and not a lingering becuase of a weakened immune system.

There's literally as much proof that it's bad herpes as there is that it's a relapse of cancer, especially considering the rest of the Patriots team was also dealing with flu-like symptoms. The point of the joke responses was that this thread is very weird baseless **** slinging.
I can understand why you will think it is baseless, but I was just pointing out how the situation looks to. The Patriots protects their players probably more than most people get in witsec and it always amazes when I find out what Patriots players were going through beyond football at the end of a season. Like coming to find out Nate Solder played a whole season in which he won a super bowl after having one of his testicles removed just before the season started and was doing periodic checks throughout the season.

Yes, clearly the sensible thing to do is assume any player praised by Belichick has cancer.

And your comprehension skills are tip-top if THAT's what you got from the post.

I can understand why you will think it is baseless, but I was just pointing out how the situation looks to. The Patriots protects their players probably more than most people get in witsec and it always amazes when I find out what Patriots players were going through beyond football at the end of a season. Like coming to find out Nate Solder played a whole season in which he won a super bowl after having one of his testicles removed just before the season started and was doing periodic checks throughout the season.

+1.

......or Matt Light with what he was constantly fighting with that intestinal disease.

Rodney Harrison made a sideline tackle one play after breaking his freaking arm in SB 38 and BB never mentioned it after the game.

BB never mentioned those cases. He never mentions anything like that for a player........ Except Marcus Cannon in 2011 and 2019.

Again, hopefully he just had a historic bout of flu that was horrific for others to witness and that he is currently completely on the mend..

We’ve got ourselves a pissing contest, boys.

EDIT: ...and girls. Just to be gender inclusive.

Lots of guys have had the flu bad on that team. None were called out at a BB presser. For BB to do THAT is extraordinary. I'm still searching for any other examples of that ever happening aside form Cannon's rookie year. Can you find one?

.....and 14 days/2 weeks later.

Oh he can definitely (hopefully) get rid of this bug. It just takes longer if someone has a weakened immune system. That's all. Hopefully it is just a hellacious bug and not a lingering becuase of a weakened immune system.

Not big on big on conspiracy theories. Simple explanation is he was the sickest. Bb literally said he expected him not to play. It’s not unusual at all to credit him.
If he had cancer he wouldn’t be playing at all. To me it’s disrespectful to invent speculation like that with nothing at all to back it up.
That’s me though, you can do whatever you want

We’ve got ourselves a pissing contest, boys.

EDIT: ...and girls. Just to be gender inclusive.
Not at all for me, the evidence to suggest something worse is practically non existent in this case. I admit that i am over reading into things, but I do find his reported flu duration a bit excessive and one area that I couldn't shake out of my mind was a compromised immune system.

It’s not the patriots. It’s the law. You can’t discuss people’s health issues publicly without express consent.

It’s not the patriots. It’s the law. You can’t discuss people’s health issues publicly without express consent.

I think Rodney playing that snap in SB 38 with a broken arm wasn't a HIPAA disclosure situation for the team.

Nor was Brady's 12 stitches in his throwing hand for the 2018 AFCCG which BB proactively denigrated after the game..........

BB simply never gives that stuff any play.

I know that, and I am still to this day the NFL did not do enough with his initial testing at the combine to ensure HIPAA was not violated. Everybody knew.

I think Rodney playing that snap in SB 38 with a broken arm wasn't a HIPAA disclosure situation for the team.

Nor was Brady's 12 stitches in his throwing hand for the 2018 AFCCG which BB proactively denigrated after the game..........

BB simply never gives that stuff any play.

Ok Sherlock, Cannon has cancer :rolleyes:

Ok Sherlock, Cannon has cancer :rolleyes:
shmessy is not saying that with any degree of certainty. I read her post as someone who is just curious about an almost three week flu.
You think it is disrespectful, but shmessy only claimed a weakened immune system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
Back