PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Marcus Cannon

Status
Not open for further replies.
My questions are does David Andrews need to be Upgraded?? Should we have waited to pay Shaq Mason or not?? Is Joe Thuney just a jag?? This OL blows in both areas Pass Protection and especially Run Blocking. Cannon has been banged up all year and Trent Brown have been decent for the most part I think our problems lie along the Interior.
Theyve allowed the 3rd fewest sacks and 6th fewest in Qb hits.

My questions are does David Andrews need to be Upgraded?? Should we have waited to pay Shaq Mason or not?? Is Joe Thuney just a jag?? This OL blows in both areas Pass Protection and especially Run Blocking. Cannon has been banged up all year and Trent Brown have been decent for the most part I think our problems lie along the Interior.

I think Andrews is better at pass protection than at run blocking....he's average at best....Mason is the opposite, great run blocker but inconsistent at pass protection, Thuney is average at both.....Cannon seems like he is injured all the time now, is he someone that we can count on going forward?
Andy made a good point earlier in the thread and at 6mm per year, I don't think we're going to get anyone that much better at that price.

Who do you think is going to available that we will be able to sign to replace him, with the 4.25 million we will save by cutting him?
You want a name? For all we know they might spend more on a FA or draft one. Who knows? I'm not proposing they cut him tomorrow without a plan.

One thing I do know is hes not worth $7.55m in cap space. If he redoes his deal that would be a reasonable outcome.

Interesting I wish they would stop Holding when Sony Break off those Big runs. I think Sony has had like 3 or 4 call back already.
By my count that has happened 4 times this year.

David Andrews: I’d say that’s pretty far down the priority list.
Shaq Mason: I’m glad they paid him when they did. You need at least one solid anchor on the line.
Joe Thuney: A JAG probably would’ve been a backup had Wynn not got hurt.

This O-line isn’t great but it has been about a decade since we had a good one.

They weren't great in Pittsburgh, but played well enough to get the win (getting called for holding five times is bs). Hope Wynn is ready to go next season, sucks Garcia suddenly got sick and we lost him and now Wynn tears his Achilles.

Pump the brakes on Thuney and Andrews both are under Sized O-Linemen who just don't pass or run block very well. I think their deficiencies are showing up the others.
I didnt say they were All Pros. For their cap space they are fine. More talent means drafting higher or splurging on FA.

Wait you want to give up on next year?
No. I do not. Always want to win.

I think it’s a legit question : is there enough here to build upon and win it all or are the key contributors no longer able to make it to the championship ? I don’t know the answer. I suspect BB has a better idea.

David Andrews: I’d say that’s pretty far down the priority list.
Shaq Mason: I’m glad they paid him when they did. You need at least one solid anchor on the line.
Joe Thuney: A JAG probably would’ve been a backup had Wynn not got hurt.

This O-line isn’t great but it has been about a decade since we had a good one.
So when BB says Thuney is one of their best, most consistent players and hasnt given up a sack all year you say he sucks?

I've been disappointed by his play this year. I know he might be a little banged up but he had a tough game against Pitt and played poor against Miami. When he hasn't been in there, Waddle hasn't been much better...in fact, I think he's been worse. Two years ago, he played at a pro bowl level. Might have to give him more help in obvious passing situations. Just can't figure him out...... rambling now and bored at work!!!!

According to Jeff Howe's film review stats, thru wk-15:

Brown .... 946 snaps - 3.5 sk .. 13 QBH .. 11 pressures .. 5 holds
Thuney ... 976 snaps - 2.0 sk ... 8 QBH ... 6 pressures .. 3 holds
Andrews . 964 snaps - 1.0 sk ... 2 QBH ... 3 pressures .. 2 holds, chop
Mason .... 810 snaps - 1.5 sk .... 4 QBH ... 2 pressures .. hold, trip, chop
Cannon .. 696 snaps - 1.0 sk .. 10 QBH .. 13 pressures .. 2 holds, trip

Waddle .. 338 snaps - 3.0 sk ... 5 QBH .. 10 pressures
Karras .... 167 snaps - 1.0 sk .................... 1 pressure

He's low key regressed (in that nobody has really talked about him as being a liability on here to this point). But he looks like he did prior to 2016 when Scar came back. With Brown being very boom or bust on the other side, the tackles are a liability.

So when BB says Thuney is one of their best, most consistent players and hasnt given up a sack all year you say he sucks?

RW,

I think Thuney has been better this year but I'd be careful with what BB says about certain players....didn't he praise Elandon Roberts earlier in the year and we all know what type of player he is ;) (Sorry, couldn't go another post without mentioning him)

Where did I say he sucks? He doesn’t suck he is a serviceable NFL guard but by no means is he special. Especially in our system where we run with a smaller technique center who gets help from the guard. I’m no Dante Scarneccia but I would guess out of our two starting guards Thuney is the one getting the help.

The decision on Cannon is easy. Pay cut or cut. He;ll be 31 next year so not much time left 1-2 years max.

My approach would be to see what the market is for Brown. If it gets too expensive and walks, move Wynn to LT. If hes stays, move Wynn to RT as Thuney, Andrews and Shaq are fine.

Cannon's APY for the remaining 3 season on his deal is about $7.25M, which makes him the 7th-highest paid RT in the NFL (according to OTC).

RW,

I think Thuney has been better this year but I'd be careful with what BB says about certain players....didn't he praise Elandon Roberts earlier in the year and we all know what type of player he is ;) (Sorry, couldn't go another post without mentioning him)
I think if you saw Elandon Roberts walking down the street you'd run him down. :p

Agree. Sometimes BB pumps the tires but since he hasn't given up a sack all year I don't think hes BSing.

Where did I say he sucks? He doesn’t suck he is a serviceable NFL guard but by no means is he special. Especially in our system where we run with a smaller technique center who gets help from the guard. I’m no Dante Scarneccia but I would guess out of our two starting guards Thuney is the one getting the help.
You called him a JAG. Hes better than a JAG.

Come on, now. You know better than this.
Dont give me the "Tom always gets the ball out quickly" nonsense.

Sunday notwithstanding the OL is last on the "problems" list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back