PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mankins could hold up NFL settlement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if the players wanted these demands to go through, the request was going to come through the lawyers anyway. That way they protect their client from the fallout. With this thing blowing up in the players' side's face, it is better for Frank Bauer or Jeffrey Kessler to take the hit than a players.

Mankins could easily been an innocent victim in this, but he might also be actively involved in everything he was credited to. I do have to say though Bauer does pour it on in his "woe is us" victim talk.

Some people on this board obviously have never dealt with the concept of plausible deniability. Bauer's comments also included the significant snipet that Logan joined the class because he wanted something...for himself and others. Logan sees himself as an NFL freedom fighter. He was easy pickin's for Kessler. Flushing out the plaintiff list back in March was like a jury selection exercise for Kessler. He wanted guys with agendas onboard so he could manipulate the process if needbe.

I think at this junction if the owners have not opted to sweeten the settlement agreement after the fact, the remaining stall becomes the re-certification process... All the stalls are basically an effort to win a point or squeeze a buck in exchange for one or hope Doty decides to make a ruling before the deal is done that Kessler can spin as justification to derail the whole process.

Some people on this board obviously have never dealt with the concept of plausible deniability. Bauer's comments also included the significant snipet that Logan joined the class because he wanted something...for himself and others. Logan sees himself as an NFL freedom fighter. He was easy pickin's for Kessler. Flushing out the plaintiff list back in March was like a jury selection exercise for Kessler. He wanted guys with agendas onboard so he could manipulate the process if needbe.

I think at this junction if the owners have not opted to sweeten the settlement agreement after the fact, the remaining stall becomes the re-certification process... All the stalls are basically an effort to win a point or squeeze a buck in exchange for one or hope Doty decides to make a ruling before the deal is done that Kessler can spin as justification to derail the whole process.

LOL......

Why don't you just start every post with 'I hate Logan Mankins, so here we go'

From what I have gathered regarding his personality over the years, I could certainly see how the process he has endured has pissed him off. If I was him, I am not sure that I would not have wound up in the exact same spot.

people like to jump all over anyone who stands to upset anything that stands in the way of their beloved patriots. there is no voice of reason.

to these same people, Logan Mankins is an ********* because he does not agree with their assessment in regards to the team.

I have said this before........the only mistake Mankins made was to not hold out with a year left on his rookie contract. People would have been much less harsh on him then.

Last edited:
LOL......

Why don't you just start every post with 'I have Logan Mankins, so here we go'

From what I have gathered regarding his personality over the years, I could certainly see how the process he has endured has pissed him off. If I was him, I am not sure that I would not have wound up in the exact same spot.

people like to jump all over anyone who stands to upset anything that stands in the way of their beloved patriots. there is no voice of reason.

to these same people, Logan Mankins is an ********* because he does not agree with their assessment in regards to the team.

I have said this before........the only mistake Mankins made was to not hold out with a year left on his rookie contract. People would have been much less harsh on him then.

Mankins may have the right to be pissed about his situation. HOWEVER the Pats ARE NOT the party that he should be pissed at. He was just a "victim" of circumstance that NEITHER the Pats or Mankins could control. Yes its unfortunate that he will have to play 7 years before he can reach FA. BUT lets not throw him a pity party just because he is being "forced" to accept a measly $10.1MM to play football this season NOR should the Pats be criticized just because the wouldn't pay him as the highest paid OG in the league

The perception problem remains that fans keep viewing these contract disputes in a vacuum . Its STILL a zero sum game as it relates to the cap. For every dollar you give one player there is one less dollar for everyone else. It seems easy to say "well just pay him the money. Whats another million or two each year". But all these decisions have consequences and they are all hard to pin down. Easy to say we should have kept Branch, Seymour and Samuel, but its a lot harder to determine who would have been lost if we had.

Mankins may have the right to be pissed about his situation. HOWEVER the Pats ARE NOT the party that he should be pissed at. He was just a "victim" of circumstance that NEITHER the Pats or Mankins could control. Yes its unfortunate that he will have to play 7 years before he can reach FA. BUT lets not throw him a pity party just because he is being "forced" to accept a measly $10.1MM to play football this season NOR should the Pats be criticized just because the wouldn't pay him as the highest paid OG in the league

The perception problem remains that fans keep viewing these contract disputes in a vacuum . Its STILL a zero sum game as it relates to the cap. For every dollar you give one player there is one less dollar for everyone else. It seems easy to say "well just pay him the money. Whats another million or two each year". But all these decisions have consequences and they are all hard to pin down. Easy to say we should have kept Branch, Seymour and Samuel, but its a lot harder to determine who would have been lost if we had.

sometimes the decisions work and sometimes they don't......the decision to not keep seymour and samuel has not cost the pats a thing.......neither would have made the difference for the pats to win it all after they were gone. Branches presence would have likely been the difference to get the pats past the colts in 2006......so in that regard, letting someone go was a mistake.

At this point, the pats are already missing neal from last year as well as light. they have solder and cannon as replacements so far. they could potentially keep the pats going without skipping a beat, but that's a real stretch. At brady's age, you want what you know.....especially if it works.

as for every dollar going to one player is one not going to someone else, not sure what that has to do with the price of beans, but you're supposed to keep your probowlers......not every guy is going to 'take one for the team'.....he was here when deion branch held out with one year left. It was his mistake to decide to play out the contract to its end based on a verbal gesture by someone else.

I don't believe that whatever offer they made him would have made him a top 3 paid OG......I think he would have signed it if that were true. Add to that the BS about a public apology......I mean, really......they're all businessmen......having things wind up here because of something like that spread the stupidity butter across everyone........not just mankins.

mankins stepped back on the field in midseason last year and was still one of the top OG's in the game. All while watching guys like ferguson and mangold who were drafted a year later already get their extensions......

simple......if the pats don't want him that badly, they should let him go.......but they won't unless they squeeze a 1st rounder out of someone.......kind of a catch 22 on their part......you can say 'that's the way it works' and that teams are fine doing what they do in that regard. I think he is just as fine doing what he is doing. I would love for him to be here, but if he isn't that's life.......I am sure he will be just as successful somewhere else where they will pay him what the pats won't......

RonBorges Ron Borges
LoganMankins has just informed the NFLPA leadership he will sign off on a settlement of the Brady v. NFL case without seeking compensation.

Eisen saying at 8pm players and owners voting on this abortion....

Just say yes and get things DONE....

sometimes the decisions work and sometimes they don't......the decision to not keep seymour and samuel has not cost the pats a thing.......neither would have made the difference for the pats to win it all after they were gone. Branches presence would have likely been the difference to get the pats past the colts in 2006......so in that regard, letting someone go was a mistake.

At this point, the pats are already missing neal from last year as well as light. they have solder and cannon as replacements so far. they could potentially keep the pats going without skipping a beat, but that's a real stretch. At brady's age, you want what you know.....especially if it works.

as for every dollar going to one player is one not going to someone else, not sure what that has to do with the price of beans, but you're supposed to keep your probowlers......not every guy is going to 'take one for the team'.....he was here when deion branch held out with one year left. It was his mistake to decide to play out the contract to its end based on a verbal gesture by someone else.

I don't believe that whatever offer they made him would have made him a top 3 paid OG......I think he would have signed it if that were true. Add to that the BS about a public apology
Yes that is bs because it has never been confirmed that one was even suggested

......I mean, really......they're all businessmen......having things wind up here because of something like that spread the stupidity butter across everyone........not just mankins.
We 'wound up here' for onr reason. The Patriots and Mankins have yet to agree to his value. This happens often, which is why there are so many FAs in the NFL. We didn't wind up anywhere that over half the players in the league that paly beyond their rookie contracts end up. Melodrama aside.

mankins stepped back on the field in midseason last year and was still one of the top OG's in the game. All while watching guys like ferguson and mangold who were drafted a year later already get their extensions......
What does that have to do with anything? They were not RFAs last year. They reported. They did not listen to the first offer, call it insulting, refuse to sign a tender and holdout. Apples to oranges.
If your argument is that the Jets are great because they overpay to keep players, we'll have to disagree on that one.

simple......if the pats don't want him that badly, they should let him go
That makes no sense. They have his rights. They are willing to pay him $10mill to play this year. If they feel he is asking too much in future years why would that mean they should let him go? Should we cut any player who we won't give whatever he asks for? It will be a lonely lockerroom.

.......but they won't unless they squeeze a 1st rounder out of someone.......
You would prefer they trade him for less value?

kind of a catch 22 on their part......you can say 'that's the way it works' and that teams are fine doing what they do in that regard. I think he is just as fine doing what he is doing.
The Patriots have every right to franchise him and make whatever long term offer they want to including none. Mankins has every right to not listen to any offers, to set his demands at 20mill a year if he wishes, or to stay home. If he stays home, however, he must eventually report or he will be right back in the same boat next year, and while staying home he will lose over $600,000 a game. I don't see what reason he would have for staying home, but he can go ahead and do that if he wishes to.

I would love for him to be here, but if he isn't that's life.......I am sure he will be just as successful somewhere else where they will pay him what the pats won't......
Perhaps. And perhaps he will not get such an offer. This isn't a landmark issue here. It happens with many players every year. Teams decide value, players decide where they want to play and what they will accept for a contract. It is what it is.

Simply amazing. Not to mention disgraceful.

so...you met my ex-wife I take it...

I laughed.

People should really take this as a lesson to not let baseless anonymous media speculation inflame them into maligning someone without real evidence they have actually done something. Unfortunately most won't and will simply continue to embarrass themselves by denying reality and trying to spin as hard as they can. To all of them I award the John tomase award for integrity. Congratulations to you all, you really earned it.

Ten thumbs up

LoganMankins has just informed the NFLPA leadership he will sign off on a settlement of the Brady v. NFL case without seeking compensation.

Stand-up guy. Also, it's tough when guys on "your side" are asking you to cave for their sake. (I've been there, in a very different context, namely a venture capital financing.)

He doesn't even get to poke the Krafts in the eye about apologies or whatever, because of the serious grief they're going through at the moment.

Last edited:
Yes that is bs because it has never been confirmed that one was even suggested

We 'wound up here' for onr reason. The Patriots and Mankins have yet to agree to his value. This happens often, which is why there are so many FAs in the NFL. We didn't wind up anywhere that over half the players in the league that paly beyond their rookie contracts end up. Melodrama aside.

What does that have to do with anything? They were not RFAs last year. They reported. They did not listen to the first offer, call it insulting, refuse to sign a tender and holdout. Apples to oranges.
If your argument is that the Jets are great because they overpay to keep players, we'll have to disagree on that one.

That makes no sense. They have his rights. They are willing to pay him $10mill to play this year. If they feel he is asking too much in future years why would that mean they should let him go? Should we cut any player who we won't give whatever he asks for? It will be a lonely lockerroom.

You would prefer they trade him for less value?

The Patriots have every right to franchise him and make whatever long term offer they want to including none. Mankins has every right to not listen to any offers, to set his demands at 20mill a year if he wishes, or to stay home. If he stays home, however, he must eventually report or he will be right back in the same boat next year, and while staying home he will lose over $600,000 a game. I don't see what reason he would have for staying home, but he can go ahead and do that if he wishes to.

Perhaps. And perhaps he will not get such an offer. This isn't a landmark issue here. It happens with many players every year. Teams decide value, players decide where they want to play and what they will accept for a contract. It is what it is.

sure, and mankins will exercise his rights and eventually the road runs out for the pats. at this point, he can make himself not worth the franchise tag money to get himself out of here, if that's what he wants to do. this isn't an RFA tender anymore. he could do as little as he has to in order to get his 10.1M and either be set free after this year, or get over 13M next year. at that point, it would be almost 4 years of what the pats offered him.

some people simply don't see being in the pats organization as the be all-end all.

Like I said, the only real mistake Mankins made is not holding out with a year to go in his rookie contract. you're not subjected to RFA tenders, you're not subjected to franchise tag. the problem with this system is that the player only gets screwed if he honors the duration of his contract. If I was an agent and my client outplayed the value of his contract for every prior year, I would tell him to sit and make noise when you have one year left on your deal.

Last edited:
Like I said, the only real mistake Mankins made is not holding out with a year to go in his rookie contract. you're not subjected to RFA tenders, you're not subjected to franchise tag. the problem with this system is that the player only gets screwed if he honors the duration of his contract. If I was an agent and my client outplayed the value of his contract for every prior year, I would tell him to sit and make noise when you have one year left on your deal.
Would that really accomplish anything? If you sit, the year is lost, and you come back next year in the same spot.
Then after that you are RFA then UFA.
Am I missing something?

LOL......

Why don't you just start every post with 'I hate Logan Mankins, so here we go'

Fans love Tedy Bruschi for good reason. The hometown discounts, team loyalty, good father, who couldn't care less about how many millions he made.

Logan is the opposite. The NFL is just a business to him. He does a job and wants to use his union and agent to squeeze every possible dollar out of his employer. It doesn't exactly make him the anti-christ. It makes him a business man, whose career happens to be football. He has a right to do that, after all its a free country.

And fans have a right to love Tedy Bruschi and hate Logan Mankins. Again, its a free country.

Also, I think Mankins made the following mistakes:
1) Not signing the tender, and therefore losing half the value. He gained nothing by doing this
2) Holding out. He lost 7 games checks. He gained nothing by this.
3) Airing his issues publicly. Perhaps he doesnt care how he looked, but nothing was gained by this
4) Hiring a poor agent. A better one may have achieved something other than getting his name in the paper for criticism of whoever he felt like talkin about.
5) Not continuing to negotiate beyond an initial offer that reportedly was top 3 G money. Perhaps it would have been fruitless, but to refuse to negotiate accomplished nothing for him.

Fans love Tedy Bruschi for good reason. The hometown discounts, team loyalty, good father, who couldn't care less about how many millions he made.

Logan is the opposite. The NFL is just a business to him. He does a job and wants to use his union and agent to squeeze every possible dollar out of his employer. It doesn't exactly make him the anti-christ. It makes him a business man, whose career happens to be football. He has a right to do that, after all its a free country.

And fans have a right to love Tedy Bruschi and hate Logan Mankins. Again, its a free country.

to love one and hate the other is to not have one's priorities straight. out of everyone, bob kraft loved bruschi the most.....why? because he saved him a ton of money.

if bruschi was a probowler for most of his first 5-6 years and regarded as the best at his position, the end result would have been much different.

why not hate brady? he made the pats tear up his rookie contract.....also, what's the big rush to stay anyway? the pats have been showing probowlers the door, and they're just as happy elsewhere.......the pats are proving that for their players now......seymour gets a TON of money from the raiders and he's been good for that organization.

what happens when some team does give mankins 8.5-9m per year? you still going to hate him because he wouldn't take the 6m per year the pats offered him? how would your spouse feel if you turned down a 30% raise at a new company that was no different from the company you worked for? they'd call you an idiot

Last edited:

You are correct
But you would like to see a player have loyalty to his team. Really to his teammates, because a good TEAM has that attitude.
So you would like to see the guy do his best to work out a deal to stay, and if he can't not be negative toward the organization, because it accomplishes nothing.
For all the crap about "Get Paid" and for all the negative feelings around here about him Samuel tried to work out a deal amicably knew he couldn't, used his rights to hold out to get the 2nd year tag waived and went about his business. I'm sure he felt no better about how the franchsied valued him, but whether intentionally or not, he was a 'good teammate' about his contract issues.
I'm not holding Samuel up as a perfect example, just this aspect of how he handled knowing his future was short term.

to love one and hate the other is to not have one's priorities straight. out of everyone, bob kraft loved bruschi the most.....why? because he saved him a ton of money.

if bruschi was a probowler for most of his first 5-6 years and regarded as the best at his position, the end result would have been much different.

why not hate brady? he made the pats tear up his rookie contract.....also, what's the big rush to stay anyway? the pats have been showing probowlers the door, and they're just as happy elsewhere.......the pats are proving that for their players now......seymour gets a TON of money from the raiders and he's been good for that organization.

what happens when some team does give mankins 8.5-9m per year? you still going to hate him because he wouldn't take the 6m per year the pats offered him? how would your spouse feel if you turned down a 30% raise at a new company that was no different from the company you worked for? they'd call you an idiot
Tremendous job of making things up and drawing a conclusion of what they would mean if they were accurate.

Also, I think Mankins made the following mistakes:
1) Not signing the tender, and therefore losing half the value. He gained nothing by doing this
2) Holding out. He lost 7 games checks. He gained nothing by this.
3) Airing his issues publicly. Perhaps he doesnt care how he looked, but nothing was gained by this
4) Hiring a poor agent. A better one may have achieved something other than getting his name in the paper for criticism of whoever he felt like talkin about.
5) Not continuing to negotiate beyond an initial offer that reportedly was top 3 G money. Perhaps it would have been fruitless, but to refuse to negotiate accomplished nothing for him.

so basically, you only care that he shows up for the pats.......

you have no clue as to what was gained or lost until the whole ordeal is over. with the franchise tag, both this year and next, he will earn in 2 years what the pats did not want to pay him over 3 years......

this isn't over by any means......he's got plenty of years left in him, and if/when the pats don't pony up, someone else will......if they don't come to terms with him, he will do what samuel did and only come back if they promise to not tag him again.

one thing is for sure.....he does not give a crap what you or any of us think. its funny how some can make themselves seem like experts without taking a moment to see the situation from something other than the 'I love my team' perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes