PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mallett's Market Value

I might be wrong, but wasn't Mallett a "BoB" pick? Can still trade for him, but i doubt he trade for that QB mayby another.

Always thought of Mallett as a BB pick but you may be right. It's being reported that Blake Bortles is BOB's guy rather than Bridgewater so that would be interesting.

As a BOB fan, if he thinks Mallett is a starting NFL QB, then this draft is perfect for him. He could afford to give up the #33 pick, because he would be in position to trade down and more than make up for the lose with a basket load of picks he'd get from some QB hungry team who falls in love with one of the good but not great prospects that will come out this year.

When with 2 picks between 27 and 33 the Pats would be in great position to get 2 big bodies within the same talent grouping (ie a first round DT and a top rated OG, which would go a long way to setting the Pats up for 2014 and beyond.)

For BOB it couldn't work out better. He can get a QB with first round talent PLUS 3 years of experience in an NFL system on the relative cheap, and still have a reasonable shot a Clowney, whose draft status as dropped a bit, after a very underachieving season.. But the Texas can get that great basket of picks and still stay in the top 5 where Clowney is likely to go.

Thought about this in relation to trading Mallett to the Browns. We could trade him for a swap of first and second round picks (their second first obviously). The slight jump in the first puts us in a better position to nab an Amaro or Tuitt/Nix and the significant 2nd round jump could get us a borderline first rounder. It would look something like:

Round One: (not in any order)

Nix
Tuitt
Amaro
Gilbert

Round Two:

Roby
ASJ
Swanson
etc

The Browns don't lose a pick trading for Mallett and will still have made two picks before they get their now much reduced second rounder. And we get late second round value for Mallett. Strikes me as a win-win provided they can find a suitable Mallett replacement. McCarron in the third maybe. I'm not big on him as a future starter but think he makes for a good long-term backup.

Thought about this in relation to trading Mallett to the Browns. We could trade him for a swap of first and second round picks (their second first obviously). The slight jump

660 + 300 = 960

700 + 540 = 1240

1240 - 960 = 280

280= #62 overall pick.

Based on Pats current picks so the difference could change.

That's pretty interesting and picking 26 and 34 would put them right in the sweet spot. If the Pats can use 26 and their 3rd to move up into the teens and get the best DL on the board they could then move down from 34 to get that 3rd rounder back.

Fascinating Discussion. Both the Variety and the Quality of Opinion strikes me as being as far-ranging as the very Question at hand: What is Mallett's Market Value?

One enchanting Aspect of this Great Game is that the Market Value of a Player can indeed be as ethereal ~ as daunting to define ~ as Mallett's quite clearly is. Clearly, it's cloudy. :)

And it can be fleeting, as well.

There's talk, already, of dropping Revis Island altogether, out in Tampa, where the previous Leadership had been stupid enough to pledge $96,000,000 ~ 96 Million Dollars!! :D ~ for one Player and to surrender a 1st Round Pick and either a 3rd or a 4th for the extremely dubious Privilege of doing so.

Less than a Year later, there's talk of walking away from all'f it, and I can tell you that if it were me walking in on that mess, I'd do so in an heartbeat. Revis is an extraordinary Talent, but $16,000,000 a Year on a CornerBack ~ even Revis ~ in the bloody Salary Cap Era is flat out asinine.

Of course, I would first find out if anyone were foolish enough to trade me a rolled up newspaper for'm.

The Patriots snagged Randy Moss for a 4th Rounder.

A Year later, after his Historic 2007 Campaign, and him being only 31 and by all accounts Born Again Hard, I've always believed that we could've fleeced the RedSkins for at least one 1st Rounder and a lot of Change and probably consecutive 1st Rounders.

Brian Orkapo.

Duane Brown.

Just sayin'. :rolleyes:

Even Mad Bill often overplays his hand, though, and when we finally did the right thing, just over two Years after the spectacular Spike in Moss's Market Value, we were lucky to rob the Vikings of a 3rd Rounder.

And the Vikings cut Moss long before we played that Pick.

And that Pick was played, of course, on none other than Ryan Mallett.

I would've rather had Brian Orakpo & Duane Brown...but that's me. ;)

Mallett may be McDaniels's or O'Brien's Dream QuarterBack, or they may have little more than a mild Interest...or they may both've seen enough to be convinced that he sucks. :eek:

It could very well be that Mallett has as much Market Value as Hoyer presumably had before we cut'm.

Then again, one of the OC's may've seen enough in Practice and in X Games to be as confident in their ability to assess his Potential as a Year's worth of Live Action afforded Cassel's prospective Suitors, back in 2008.

And they may've loved what they saw.

Fascinating, fascinating Subject.

There's talk, already, of dropping Revis Island altogether, out in Tampa, where the previous Leadership had been stupid enough to pledge $96,000,000 ~ 96 Million Dollars!! :D ~ for one Player and to surrender a 1st Round Pick and either a 3rd or a 4th for the extremely dubious Privilege of doing so.

Less than a Year later, there's talk of walking away from all'f it, and I can tell you that if it were me walking in on that mess, I'd do so in an heartbeat. Revis is an extraordinary Talent, but $16,000,000 a Year on a CornerBack ~ even Revis ~ in the bloody Salary Cap Era is flat out asinine.

Just want to address this part. you are right, it is a hell of a lot of money for a CB and I won't try to defend that. But as I understand the contract it's basically a one year rolling contract and I think that is defensible.

I've just bought myself a really nice top of the range mobile phone. Bought it sim free so spent a lot of money upfront but am now on a monthly rolling contract so if I'm unhappy with my current mobile provider, I can switch at any time. I am paying a little more to do this, but I'm a lot happier with this than I was on my last two year contract paying for a phone I no longer liked and a poor quality service from my provider. In other words, I'm now on a Revis contract than a Cortland Finnegan one and I feel much happier.

Thought about this in relation to trading Mallett to the Browns. We could trade him for a swap of first and second round picks (their second first obviously). The slight jump in the first puts us in a better position to nab an Amaro or Tuitt/Nix and the significant 2nd round jump could get us a borderline first rounder. It would look something like:

Round One: (not in any order)

Nix
Tuitt
Amaro
Gilbert

Round Two:

Roby
ASJ
Swanson
etc

The Browns don't lose a pick trading for Mallett and will still have made two picks before they get their now much reduced second rounder.

And we get late second round value for Mallett.

Strikes me as a win-win provided they can find a suitable Mallett replacement.

Ahh...This is really good Stuff, here. :cool:

One rarely discussed Aspect of Trades is that most Teams aren't stupid enough to simply toss Picks away, and many are in fact clearly reluctant to reduce their number of Picks at all, much as I might wish otherwise!!
jester.gif

Therefore, the ability to snatch an explosive Talent by adjusting Position without surrendering any Net Picks at all seems, based on Trade History, to be quite appealing to many Teams, and may well be precisely the best Route to take to extract Trade Value for Mallett, he of the wafer-thin Resume.
39.gif

Revis vs Talib is an interesting argument that can probably be a thread of it's own. Minus the ACL Revis has been really durable and played at a higher level than Talib on a much more consistent level. Talib's hip is a concern. Conversely Revis is a bit of a individual and Talib by all accounts has been awesome for the chemistry of the DBs. He's given them swagger. I question Revis being about his own swagger. Then there's the years and money both would be looking for. It's an interesting topic for which I don't have a set opinion either way as of now.

Ahh...This is really good Stuff, here. :cool:

One rarely discussed Aspect of Trades is that most Teams aren't stupid enough to simply toss Picks away, and many are in fact clearly reluctant to reduce their number of Picks at all, much as I might wish otherwise!!
jester.gif

Therefore, the ability to snatch an explosive Talent by adjusting Position without surrendering any Net Picks at all seems, based on Trade History, to be quite appealing to many Teams, and may well be precisely the best Route to take to extract Trade Value for Mallett, he of the wafer-thin Resume.
39.gif

I'm actually surprised it doesn't happen more often nearer the top of the draft. It seems to happen quite a bit lower down (our trade for Sopoaga for example) but I don't remember it happening that much in the top two rounds, although I haven't done much research into that so I might be wrong.

Just want to address this part. you are right, it is a hell of a lot of money for a CB and I won't try to defend that. But as I understand the contract it's basically a one year rolling contract and I think that is defensible.

I've just bought myself a really nice top of the range mobile phone. Bought it sim free so spent a lot of money upfront but am now on a monthly rolling contract so if I'm unhappy with my current mobile provider, I can switch at any time. I am paying a little more to do this, but I'm a lot happier with this than I was on my last two year contract paying for a phone I no longer liked and a poor quality service from my provider. In other words, I'm now on a Revis contract than a Cortland Finnegan one and I feel much happier.

On that Aspect of the Contract, we most certainly agree: Revis's stunning and commendable Decision to agree to a 100% Anchor-Free "Contract" certainly dramatically degrades the Contract's Toxicity.

Just curious what people's current Views are on this.

Will 3 Years of Belichickian Incubation and Good Behavior, combined with a Rocket Arm and whispers of cerebral acumen bring simmering interest to a boil?

Or will 3 Years of virtually nothing prove to've quietly eroded all of the stronger Interest in'm?

Is Lombardi a Player?

Might O'Brien be?

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn’t the primary reason that Mallett dropped from a top 20 draft prospect to the 3rd round based on character and maturity concerns? In his 3 years here I have not heard anything not even a parking ticket that would reflect negatively on Mallett. In addition he lost significant weight and improved his fitness after his rookie season and he has spent 3 seasons being coached by Belichick, either O’Brien or McDaniels, and under the wing of Tom Brady. I think the young man has a lot of positives.

My uncertainty is that he doesn’t receive any attention and is seldom seen or spoken of, I don’t know enough about what goes on behind the scenes to make a call on if he has a high value or a low value; I think it could go either way. If Mallett has the capabilities to be a franchise QB Lombardi could be a player his son saw Mallett last season when he was on the coaching staff as an assistant to the head coach, and McDaniels appears to be in the running for the job.

I don’t know if they have gray areas or behind the scenes conversations but maybe an unwritten agreement where McDaniels is permitted to leave and be hired by the Browns and then the Browns send their second 1st rounder or their 2nd rounder to us for Mallett but essentially it is really a gentlemen’s agreement of the pick in exchange for McDaniels and Mallett. I may of watched to many mob movies over the holidays :)

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn’t the primary reason that Mallett dropped from a top 20 draft prospect to the 3rd round based on character and maturity concerns? In his 3 years here I have not heard anything not even a parking ticket that would reflect negatively on Mallett. In addition he lost significant weight and improved his fitness after his rookie season and he has spent 3 seasons being coached by Belichick, either O’Brien or McDaniels, and under the wing of Tom Brady. I think the young man has a lot of positives.

My uncertainty is that he doesn’t receive any attention and is seldom seen or spoken of, I don’t know enough about what goes on behind the scenes to make a call on if he has a high value or a low value; I think it could go either way. If Mallett has the capabilities to be a franchise QB Lombardi could be a player his son saw Mallett last season when he was on the coaching staff as an assistant to the head coach, and McDaniels appears to be in the running for the job.

I don’t know if they have gray areas or behind the scenes conversations but maybe an unwritten agreement where McDaniels is permitted to leave and be hired by the Browns and then the Browns send their second 1st rounder or their 2nd rounder to us for Mallett but essentially it is really a gentlemen’s agreement of the pick in exchange for McDaniels and Mallett. I may of watched to many mob movies over the holidays :)

1. I don't think it was just character issues that caused him to drop but mobility issues too.

2. I hope you are right but the Browns' second first rounder seems a touch ambitious for Mallett (as is their second rounder outright).

1. I don't think it was just character issues that caused him to drop but mobility issues too.

2. I hope you are right but the Browns' second first rounder seems a touch ambitious for Mallett (as is their second rounder outright).

My thought on Mallett is he is either worth a lot or worth very little; no middle. I am probably wrong though.

how about swapping picks in 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds and get 5th from Houston with conditional 4th in 2015 which could upgrade to 3rd on performance?

I don’t know if they have gray areas or behind the scenes conversations but maybe an unwritten agreement where McDaniels is permitted to leave and be hired by the Browns and then the Browns send their second 1st rounder or their 2nd rounder to us for Mallett but essentially it is really a gentlemen’s agreement of the pick in exchange for McDaniels and Mallett.

I may have watched too many mob movies over the holidays :)

Syntax Error: It is not biologically possible to've watched too many Mob Movies. ;)

1 ~ Yes, you are, so far's I know, 100% correct that Mallett's Stock plummeted due to Character Concerns.

2 ~ I have no such concerns. I watched his Infamous Interview...and was actually impressed.

3 ~ Yet I was horrified at the Pick.

4 ~ Mallett's Poise and Mechanics in College were awful. I got the distinct impression of yet another Rocket Arm who'd rode'is Arm to College Glory...and was about to Hit The Wall.

5 ~ I will say, however, that the fact that he's survived Cuts for 3 consecutive Years on a Team who's Coach has made it crystal clear, over the Years, that he has no problem cutting hard and early, speaks well for'm.

6 ~ Word Around The CampFire is that Mallett displayed commendable Diagnostic Acuity on the ChalkBoards during the Draft Process. But Diagnostic Acuity only gets you to the Center.

7 ~ Processing Speed is what matters In Battle. And I have grave concerns about Mallett's.

Processing Speed can be improved, though, through Intensive Training.

Especially with the right Teachers.

But only if the Student is a Learner.

And that Aspect, in my view, is the great Wild Card, regarding both Mallett's Market Value...and his Future.

Syntax Error: It is not biologically possible to've watched too many Mob Movies. ;)

1 ~ Yes, you are, so far's I know, 100% correct that Mallett's Stock plummeted due to Character Concerns.

2 ~ I have no such concerns. I watched his Infamous Interview...and was actually impressed.

3 ~ Yet I was horrified at the Pick.

4 ~ Mallett's Poise and Mechanics in College were awful. I got the distinct impression of yet another Rocket Arm who'd rode'is Arm to College Glory...and was about to Hit The Wall.

5 ~ I will say, however, that the fact that he's survived Cuts for 3 consecutive Years on a Team who's Coach has made it crystal clear, over the Years, that he has no problem cutting hard and early, speaks well for'm.

6 ~ Word Around The CampFire is that Mallett displayed commendable Diagnostic Acuity on the ChalkBoards during the Draft Process. But Diagnostic Acuity only gets you to the Center.

7 ~ Processing Speed is what matters In Battle. And I have grave concerns about Mallett's.

Processing Speed can be improved, though, through Intensive Training.

Especially with the right Teachers.

But only if the Student is a Learner.

And that Aspect, in my view, is the great Wild Card, regarding both Mallett's Market Value...and his Future.

OTG I wish you posted more around here I really enjoy your posts; you do a great job outlining your position.

He reminded me of Bledsoe coming out which was why I couldn't believe they took him.

OTG I wish you posted more around here I really enjoy your posts; you do a great job outlining your position.

Thank you for your kind Words, Brother 6.
beer.gif

This is a fine Forum, All Things Considered.

It's probably better if I don't say why I don't post more, hereabouts...But thank you, Bro. :cool:

I had not accounted for that concern. Mallett was sacked just 1 time during the preseason; Brady went down 2 times and Tebow 7 times. In 2012 he was sacked 2 times during the preseason.

Mallett did show development in the preseason – 42/76 for a 55.3% completion percentage, 447 passing yards, 3 touchdowns, 1 interception, and an 80.3 QB rating; compared to 2012 – 33/67 for a 49.3% completion percentage, 300 passing yards, 3 touchdowns, 1 interception and a 70.5 QB rating.

I know the preseason is not the end all be all but it’s the only time we’ve ever really had an opportunity to see him play. Cassel was hardly impressive in 2008s preseason – 19/34 for a 55.9 completion percentage, 165 passing yards, 0 touchdowns, 1 interception and a 56.6 QB rating, he was also sacked 4 times. I guess you could say that indicates preseason stats don’t matter or you could argue Mallett is better than Cassel.

All things considered I see a lot of positives for Mallett:

He was highly regarded early in the 2011 draft as a top 10 pick.
2011 NFL Mock Draft has Ryan Mallet, A.J. Green at top - Andrew Perloff - SI.com
Ryan Mallett: 10 Reasons He'll Be a Top Pick In 2011 NFL Draft | Bleacher Report
Report: Ryan Mallett in play for Redskins at No. 10 overall | ProFootballTalk
Bill O’Brien and Josh McDaniels are hired/candidate for a head coaching job in the NFL and they have experience with both.
Mallett has beat out Brian Hoyer and Tim Tebow in each of the last 2 preseasons for the back QB job, both of those guys have started in the NFL with some success.
Kirk Cousins trade value dropped considerably this season; the Redskins showcasing experiment did not go as planned.
Mallett is under contract for a very reasonable cost at just under $800K per year; this allows a team to bring him in and play for a season rather than making the mistake of overpaying as was the case with Matt Flynn a few years ago.
Mallett has shown improvements on and off the field in the past 3 years, his physique is greatly improved and he even cuts his hair like Brady now :)

All things considered I see a lot of positives for Mallett:

He was highly regarded early in the 2011 draft as a top 10 pick.
2011 NFL Mock Draft has Ryan Mallet, A.J. Green at top - Andrew Perloff - SI.com
Ryan Mallett: 10 Reasons He'll Be a Top Pick In 2011 NFL Draft | Bleacher Report
Report: Ryan Mallett in play for Redskins at No. 10 overall | ProFootballTalk

Bill O’Brien and Josh McDaniels are hired/candidate for a head coaching job in the NFL and they have experience with both.
Mallett has beat out Brian Hoyer and Tim Tebow in each of the last 2 preseasons for the back QB job, both of those guys have started in the NFL with some success.
Kirk Cousins trade value dropped considerably this season; the Redskins showcasing experiment did not go as planned.
Mallett is under contract for a very reasonable cost at just under $800K per year; this allows a team to bring him in and play for a season rather than making the mistake of overpaying as was the case with Matt Flynn a few years ago.
Mallett has shown improvements on and off the field in the past 3 years, his physique is greatly improved and he even cuts his hair like Brady now :)

Just because the media touted him, does not mean teams saw him in the same light - which ended up being true considering where he fell too.

I agree that to the right team (the Browns), there's upside for trading Mallett but there are so many potential QBs coming available that almost by default his stock will be affected:

Potential first round QBs - Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Manziel, Blake Bortles, Brett Hundley

Possible discarded starters and FA's - Weeden, Gabbert, Ponder, Schaub, Vick and Freeman could all be available and whilst they've all failed are probably just as likely to appeal to a GM as much as Mallett.

You could also add Cousins and maybe even Bradford and that's potentially 12 QBs that could be competing with Mallett for a spot on a team - and that's before you even consider Derek Carr, David Fales, AJ McCarron et al.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back