PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mallett's Market Value

Off The Grid

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Just curious what people's current Views are on this.

Will 3 Years of Belichickian Incubation and Good Behavior, combined with a Rocket Arm and whispers of cerebral acumen bring simmering interest to a boil?

Or will 3 Years of virtually nothing prove to've quietly eroded all of the stronger Interest in'm?

Is Lombardi a Player?

Might O'Brien be?

We established this last year as the #6 pick in the draft, no? :D

The problem is his value to the Patriots as a backup at his current salary is greater than his value to other teams without ever proving it. I'm sure Bill wants a first and teams are thinking a third. Perhaps a first with a conditional first would get it done with somebody like Lombardi.

Well next year he walks and the Pats get a supplemental so I doubt they'd hold out for a first right now. His worth is depreciating.

Well next year he walks and the Pats get a supplemental so I doubt they'd hold out for a first right now. His worth is depreciating.

The problem is no one really knows what Mallett is at this point outside of the New England brain trust.

I suspect that the Patriots are at least willing to let Mallett just play out his rookie deal, and then move on in 2015. I'm not saying that's their top option, merely that it is an option; even if they get nothing in return, four years of first-round talent backing up your QB at a total cost of <$3M isn't a loss.

IMO I think his trade value will be around the 2nd round mark.

If he is to be traded it will be this off season. IMO as much as I would like to get a draft pick for him e.t.c I think the pats actually like having him as a back up as shown by not bringing in any QB3 so I think any team would definitely have to meet our price because I don't think we are gagging to trade him.

If I were to put a value on him it would be at the 2nd round mark. with teams that could be interested being the likes of the Browns, Tampa, Tennessee, Jacksonville, Houston, Minnesota and Oakland.

Personally I don't think it'd be a bad move for Jacksonville to go WR rd 1 then Mallett with their 2nd rounder. If they are serious about winning they need a QB and they need another playmaker on O.

Just curious what people's current Views are on this.

Will 3 Years of Belichickian Incubation and Good Behavior, combined with a Rocket Arm and whispers of cerebral acumen bring simmering interest to a boil?

Or will 3 Years of virtually nothing prove to've quietly eroded all of the stronger Interest in'm?

Is Lombardi a Player?

Might O'Brien be?

I like the potential O'Brien, Texans link but I doubt Mallett will be worth more than a third - in the main because there could be so many QBs floating around this off-season.

I think this really comes down to O'Brien. If he ends up with the Texans, then he'd badly need a QB, and may not want to use the #1 overall pick on one. The Texans have been awful on the edges this season (3 sacks for Brooks Reed, 7 for Mercilus although 5 were either unblocked or against backups), and they could use a guy like Clowney (or whichever other pass rusher they prefer) as long as it doesn't also prevent them from getting their QB.

My best guess is that if O'Brien goes to the Texans, then Mallett is traded there for the 33rd overall pick next offseason and a conditional 2015 pick, starting at a 4th if he's not the primary starter and maxing out at a first rounder if he takes the Texans to the playoffs. If O'Brien thinks that Mallett is a legitimate NFL starter, then he's easily worth the 33rd overall pick and like a 2015 4th to try out. If he takes the team to the playoffs in his first year as their starter, then he's easily worth the 2014 33rd overall pick and 2015 22nd overall pick or whatever it'd be.

The primary alternative for O'Brien with the Texans would be drafting a QB 1st overall, and while a rookie and Mallett are similarly unknown to most coaches around the NFL, O'Brien would have a much better understanding of Mallett's value than he would of a rookie.

If O'Brien doesn't become an NFL HC or does but goes a different direction at QB, then yeah, they're probably holding onto him and taking the 2016 6th round compensation pick after he signs with the Browns in 2015. If O'Brien is a head coach and wants Mallett, then the Pats have leverage because they know O'Brien sees Mallett as a starter. If not, then there's really nobody else in the NFL with any inside knowledge of Mallett, outside of a surprise McDaniels hire.

I think this really comes down to O'Brien. If he ends up with the Texans, then he'd badly need a QB, and may not want to use the #1 overall pick on one. The Texans have been awful on the edges this season (3 sacks for Brooks Reed, 7 for Mercilus although 5 were either unblocked or against backups), and they could use a guy like Clowney (or whichever other pass rusher they prefer) as long as it doesn't also prevent them from getting their QB.

My best guess is that if O'Brien goes to the Texans, then Mallett is traded there for the 33rd overall pick next offseason and a conditional 2015 pick, starting at a 4th if he's not the primary starter and maxing out at a first rounder if he takes the Texans to the playoffs. If O'Brien thinks that Mallett is a legitimate NFL starter, then he's easily worth the 33rd overall pick and like a 2015 4th to try out. If he takes the team to the playoffs in his first year as their starter, then he's easily worth the 2014 33rd overall pick and 2015 22nd overall pick or whatever it'd be.

The primary alternative for O'Brien with the Texans would be drafting a QB 1st overall, and while a rookie and Mallett are similarly unknown to most coaches around the NFL, O'Brien would have a much better understanding of Mallett's value than he would of a rookie.

If O'Brien doesn't become an NFL HC or does but goes a different direction at QB, then yeah, they're probably holding onto him and taking the 2016 6th round compensation pick after he signs with the Browns in 2015. If O'Brien is a head coach and wants Mallett, then the Pats have leverage because they know O'Brien sees Mallett as a starter. If not, then there's really nobody else in the NFL with any inside knowledge of Mallett, outside of a surprise McDaniels hire.

Y'all act as if Mallett drops dead after the 2014 season. You say he will only fetch a 6th round compensation pick from the Browns. It would be simpler to merely sign him.

He has waited patiently and learned. The way he has absorbed the system, and earned a parking space for his off season work, and his numerous black shirt awards, all the rumors about him are proved bogus. If you remember, the anonymous rumors couldn't criticize his rare physical talents, so the rumors were that he was a dope and a doper, and LAZY. Phooie.

TFB played hard this season, with the new receivers but still his stats are way, way down from when he was in his prime. What will another season bring?

I know Mallett must be tired of not playing, but Belichick is constructing a very young monster team, and a Super Bowl contender for the next half decade or more. He can see that. Why wouldn't Mallett want to inherit that, given he has definitely paid his dues? He may even believe it's his birthright...

Y'all act as if Mallett drops dead after the 2014 season. You say he will only fetch a 6th round compensation pick from the Browns. It would be simpler to merely sign him.

He has waited patiently and learned. The way he has absorbed the system, and earned a parking space for his off season work, and his numerous black shirt awards, all the rumors about him are proved bogus. If you remember, the anonymous rumors couldn't criticize his rare physical talents, so the rumors were that he was a dope and a doper, and LAZY. Phooie.

TFB played hard this season, with the new receivers but still his stats are way, way down from when he was in his prime. What will another season bring?

I know Mallett must be tired of not playing, but Belichick is constructing a very young monster team, and a Super Bowl contender for the next half decade or more. He can see that. Why wouldn't Mallett want to inherit that, given he has definitely paid his dues? He may even believe it's his birthright...
If you think Mallett has no chance of starting for another team, then sure. Otherwise, Brady is the starting QB through 2017 and Mallett isn't going to wait an extra three years just so he can start for the Patriots rather than some other team. We've had this argument before and it appears that there's really no point in doing it again, because you seem to think that scenario is a lot more realistic than it is.

Mallett is our backup for 2014. The alternative a veteran capable of starting if necessary. What would the cost be for such a veteran?

Ahhh...A masterful representation of the situation, I believe. My compliments, Sir!!
beer.gif

I don't personally think that even if O'Brien loves Mallett, he'd part with so much to get'm...But you make a strong Case, and it certainly wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

Wouldn't it be remarkable if the Matt Cassell Trade to a previous Offensive Coordinator for an early 2nd Rounder happened a 2nd Time, as you've laid out? It would present an interesting contrast: The noodle armed but Battle-experienced Cassell contrasted with the unproven yet seasoned and Rocket-Armed Mallett.

I like the potential O'Brien, Texans link but I doubt Mallett will be worth more than a third - in the main because there could be so many QBs floating around this off-season.

Good Argument. I tend to lean that way, myself...but Brother Sciz's Argument is very compelling. :D

1 - Yeah, those rookie receivers who TFB still managed to squeeze out wins with, do you think they were the reason for the statistical decline? TFB's performence with such weak raw material to work with is evidence of his excellence, not a decline.

2 - Mallett isn't going to inherit a damned thing with BB at the helm, the only way he's going to get anything under BB is if he earns it. I don't see him beating out TFB any time soon.

TFB might be playing one of his best seasons. No way he is declining. He has taken us to 11-4 with rookie receivers, Edelman, amendola and a gronk for part of a season. And he had us 5-1 the first 6 games. Brady is the reason we are in this, and he is playing as good as he can given the circumstances.

Don't think you'd get the 33 Rd pick for someone who's never played a meaningful down in the pros. Another spot could be Dallas as Jerry is an Arkansas alum. Best bet is a third and a conditional.

I think a 3rd and someone with at least some starting experience like T.J. Yates for Mallet would be fair. That way we at least have a clip board holder for 2014.

everlong;3697831[B said:
]We established this last year as the #6 pick in the draft, no? :D[/B]

The problem is his value to the Patriots as a backup at his current salary is greater than his value to other teams without ever proving it. I'm sure Bill wants a first and teams are thinking a third. Perhaps a first with a conditional first would get it done with somebody like Lombardi.
Thats right #6 overall. :) But i others have stated maybe a third rounder.

We still have Brian Daboll even too i'll rather have him as the NeXT OL coach IF (god forbidden) we need a new one.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back