PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mack to the Jets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Raiders asking 2 first round picks for an non QB? :rolleyes:

Mack will report, players like to talk a big game, but almost always cave in. Keep him for two more years, then either trade him to some dumb azz team after applying the franchise tag like the Dolphins or keep him.

jlaw-whtvr.gif

Hold on to that dream, though.

No Fing Way. I want to them to have big big dreams, then sheltered dreams, then dream crying and repeat perpetually.

Raiders asking 2 first round picks for an non QB? :rolleyes:

Mack will report, players like to talk a big game, but almost always cave in. Keep him for two more years, then either trade him to some dumb azz team after applying the franchise tag like the Dolphins or keep him.
If he reports, Mack would account for about a 14m dollar cap hit since the Raiders picked up his 5th year option for 2018. He is an unrestricted free agent in the spring, hence the desire for a huge Aaron Donald-like payday and the current holdout.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
Not so sure Gruden is as slick as those who report NFL want us to believe he is...

OTOH not sure it would be wise for any team to tie up about 20+% of their salary cap in a QB&DE tandem...

Everyone has a value. Not making someone a 20 mill a year player doesn’t mean think they are good, it means you don’t think you can properly build a team that way.
Of course but my point is we do not know what the Raiders problem is

Of course but my point is we do not know what the Raiders problem is

It might actually be nothing more than that the fact that he is a UFA after this season.

I thought it as obvious that it’s about money.
The defense sucked last year even with him.

Money? Impact? Culture? Attitude?

Don't know.

The defense sucked last year even with him.

Money? Impact? Culture? Attitude?

Don't know.
I’m not sure one guy no matter how good prevents a defense from sucking. I see no indication they don’t want him just that they don’t want to pay over 20 mill a year.
Perhaps it is because they have so many holes they need to fill or just that no player (other than a top QB) is truly worth that kind of money and the raiders are wising up.
They didnt kick him out, he refused to show up.

I find it hard to believe that Mack will sit out and cost himself over $800,000 a game!

As I've said before, I would love to see the Pats trade for Mack, but I doubt Oakland wants to see him in a Patriots uniform. I think Mack sees the writing on the wall for back to back franchise tags and then finally a UFA when he is 32 years old. Not exactly the age you want to be hitting the FA market for the first time.

It will be interesting to see what holdouts Donald (supposedly has a new deal about to be inked), Mack, and Thomas do in the next week.

Tough for any team to absorb that type of hit.

It's why I have a glimmer of hope the Jets may actually grab him. IF (big if) Darnold is the answer at QB, it's the perfect time to splurge on a legit star. Sam will be cheap for at least 4 years. During Mack's age 27- 30 seasons.

Seems like this holdout/trade may run into the season though. We'll see.

It rarely works out when a guy gets his big payday. Revis was not that long ago.

The Jets are trying to keep up with big brother Giants if this goes down.

Could be the best offer out there and Gruden wanting to rid himself of a problem.

Possibly, but there's enough teams out there with cap space and draft picks to make me think the bidding for a premier pass rusher will exceed the above offer.

Possibly, but there's enough teams out there with cap space and draft picks to make me think the bidding for a premier pass rusher will exceed the above offer.

At this point you can almost guarantee that once Mack does show up, he is going to pull a hamstring or something. Almost all the long term holdouts end up with some sort of nagging injury due to missing camp.

Nobody is going to trade 2 first round picks for a guy who wants a new contract that pays him over $20 million a year. The Dolphins committed that kind of money to Suh and it was a complete disaster.

OTC has a great feature that shows you the actual percentage a players contract counts against that year salary cap. For instance Brady's contract makes up 8.9% of the total salary cap for the Pats for 2018.

Other notable 2018 contracts:
Rodgers 11.8%
Jimmy G 20.9%

All of the top 18 contracts are QBs, Von Miller and Beckham are the only non-QBs to crack the top 20. Even the DE currently carrying the franchise tags (Ansah, Lawrence) only count as 9.7%. Nobody in the NFL commits more than 10% of their salary cap to a non-QB, it is just the NFL business model.

The Browns are all set for a while with Ogbah and Garrett.

I'd love for Mack to stay out of the division...

But that being said...if the Jets want to tie up a lot money on ONE player...not a problem with me.

If speculation meant anything Pats would have Demariyus Thomas and Golden Tate right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes