PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac working out with receivers in Tampa

Absolutely nothing wrong and I'd sell whatever is left of my soul for it.
I would too, but it’s going to be a second or third mortgage at best….

Has anyone thought about what would happen if Mac isn't the "guy?"

Really want to go there? Tom Brady wasn't good enough in college to hold onto the starting job his senior year. He was BENCHED. Mac Jones beat out this year's Heisman trophy winner for the starting job on the National Championship team.

It isn't about what they did in college, it is what they learned from in and what they decide to do with any chances they are given at the next level. Brady learned from his experiences and became who he is today. Hopefully Mac wil continue to learn and improve.

Here is my take from a stat. According to the "Boston Sports Info" Twitter account, the Patriots have converted just 13 of their last 41 third-down attempts (31.7 percent conversion rate) dating back to their game against the Jets. In that contest, they converted their first four third downs before their struggles began.
Has Mac got the tools on 3rd down yet, aka (BINKY)? In my opinion no. Sorry, Myers ain't it. I thought Gunner would be it but he's gone now.

Here is my take from a stat. According to the "Boston Sports Info" Twitter account, the Patriots have converted just 13 of their last 41 third-down attempts (31.7 percent conversion rate) dating back to their game against the Jets. In that contest, they converted their first four third downs before their struggles began.
Has Mac got the tools on 3rd down yet, aka (BINKY)? In my opinion no. Sorry, Myers ain't it. I thought Gunner would be it but he's gone now.

It looks like those who doubted Gunner's upside due to usage as only a punt returner were right. BB never let JE11 walk. Those who were hopeful because JE11 took a long time to develop were off. I was one of the hopeful ones.

It looks like those who doubted Gunner's upside due to usage as only a punt returner were right. BB never let JE11 walk. Those who were hopeful because JE11 took a long time to develop were off. I was one of the hopeful ones.
BB did just about everything possible to let JE walk, he just came back because no one else wanted him.

Yeah it’s simple, onto the next one.
Of course, but it would result in 4 lost seasons to make that determination. Just look at how long Harry has hung around.

BB did just about everything possible to let JE walk, he just came back because no one else wanted him.
Precisely. BB let Jules try FA and nobody wanted to pay him so he re-signed with the Pats. I was always a JE fan.

Precisely. BB let Jules try FA and nobody wanted to pay him so he re-signed with the Pats. I was always a JE fan.

Edelman does not agree with you. Reported on the Manning cast and by Mike Reiss.

"BB never let JE walk" False

Underdog mentality? Jones had a full scholarship to the #1 program in the country. He started every game of his Junior year en route to a national championship. He was drafted in the 1st round and handed the starting job for his rookie season.

Brady started out his collegiate career 7th on the Michigan depth chart. He was splitting time at quarterback with Drew Henson in his senior year. He was a 6th round draft pick and 4th on the depth chart for his rookie season. He only got his chance as a starter in the NFL after Bledsoe got knocked into oblivion. Brady went on to became the greatest player in the history of the NFL. That's a true underdog story for the ages.
You make some good points. But doesn’t mean Jones wasn’t an underdog. He was a 2 star recruit, not a 5 star, and he had to wait his turn before an injury gave him some playing time. Even when he got his chance, people doubted him because it was Alabama, and all the stars on offense.

His last year at Alabama was more impressive than the prior year when he got a lot of playing time due to Tua’s injury. I say it was more impressive because he went from 4 star receivers, to 2, and then 1, due to Waddle’s injury, yet still blew it up and went 13-0 to win the championship, as well as breaking some NCAA records along the way. Yet, still has a ton of detractors and nay sayers, hence, an underdog.

Of course, but it would result in 4 lost seasons to make that determination. Just look at how long Harry has hung around.
I really wish people here would just lay off this guy. Yes, it was a bust pick. Bad choice, square peg in a round hole, one hurdle after another. Not a guy they should ever have drafted, given the way they want to run their offense.

After the 9,386,475th joke/jab/complaint, we all get it. Not every thread has to be about him.

As to why he's stuck around: his dead cap numbers in those three years were 7.3, 6.7. and 4.8 (it's not easy to get out from under a 1st-round pick)...and the first year was injury and a late start, the second year was Cam. And quite frankly, it's not like there was a ton of talent being blocked by him on the bench in 19, 20, and 21.

Has anyone thought about what would happen if Mac isn't the "guy?"
It’s a possibility, there are no guarantees. But there is something about Mac, behind all the goofiness, there’s a killer’s instinct, an enormous will to get better and win. As we learned with some guys, it’s not always about outside perception and what other people say about your talents or perceived lack thereof. Several guys just have that determination and will to be great. We saw it with Brady, we saw it with Edelman, we saw it with so many of the championship players that came through here. Rodney Harrison, a late round pick, and now we’re seeing it with guys like Judon, also a late round pick. Give me a guy who has talent, but his will to be great and his confidence in himself is even greater than his skill set. I think Mac has that. We shall see.

It’s a possibility, there are no guarantees. But there is something about Mac, behind all the goofiness, there’s a killer’s instinct, an enormous will to get better and win. As we learned with some guys, it’s not always about outside perception and what other people say about your talents or perceived lack thereof. Several guys just have that determination and will to be great. We saw it with Brady, we saw it with Edelman, we saw it with so many of the championship players that came through here. Rodney Harrison, a late round pick, and now we’re seeing it with guys like Judon, also a late round pick. Give me a guy who has talent, but his will to be great and his confidence in himself is even greater than his skill set. I think Mac has that. We shall see.
Agree w/ most of your points. To me though, it's the clutchness factor that's the biggest difference between those that become "the guy" and the rest. Too early to tell, but I haven't seen it yet.

Not sure why but Bama doesn't have the best record of producing SB caliber QBs (last one picked 54 yrs ago).

SmartSelect_20220409-120018_Firefox.jpg
SmartSelect_20220409-120044_Firefox.jpg
SmartSelect_20220409-120107_Firefox.jpg
SmartSelect_20220409-120137_Firefox.jpg

As to why he's stuck around: his dead cap numbers in those three years were 7.3, 6.7. and 4.8 (it's not easy to get out from under a 1st-round pick)...and the first year was injury and a late start, the second year was Cam. And quite frankly, it's not like there was a ton of talent being blocked by him on the bench in 19, 20, and 21.
My point wasn't about Harry at all but rather as you say, these 1st rounders cost too much to move on from, so you're invested at least 4 years w/ them (though not all teams adhere to this , i.e. Rosen in ARI).

We could easily see a QB that's good enough to back into the playoffs but go no further. That'll put the Pats every year at the lower 3rd of the draft, stuck w/ not being a contender but not bad enough to have a chance at a future low pick for a QB. This is a position that most NFL teams were in while the Pats coasted w/o this concern for 20 years.

This season will tell us a lot more about his future potential but I can see why so many want to surround him w/ top talent, to both ensure his success but also so we can see his potential.

BB tried to match the Steelers offer but Gunner decided to leave. My guess is that the Steelers promised him a real shot at being a receiver.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back