PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones working out with Nic Shimonek on his strength and conditioning

‘First, this is a false narrative. No one is saying Jones has no flaws and he is the guy. Most people who are defending him are saying it is impossible to review him from last year to judge what his real flaws are and whether he is a franchise QB because the offense was such a train wreck coming from the coaching staff.

Second, there are far more people declaring Jones a bust and discounting the disaster that Matt Patricia, Bill Belichick, and Joe Judge created because they claim Zappe had no problem with the offense.
Yeah I'm sure nobody has said we know Jones is the answer right now. We said he wasn't set up to succeed last year and we'll find out more this year. I think that's accurate.

I also question the idea that Zappe had "no problem" with the offense. He had 1 good game out of 4.

But these matter of fact, “Mac is the guy; he doesn’t actually have any meaningful flaws; his struggles are largely or entirely on others, etc” is tough to read … repeatedly.
How many people have said this? I've not seen anyone say this at all. Even the most positive pro Mac fan admits he has limitations.

More apologizing and excusing inconsistent/poor play from a two year player who hasn’t proved much of anything yet, all the while speculating on things in a tone that suggests one is speaking with certainty - when they are not - to further apologize for and excuse the player’s performance, while tearing others down in the process of defending said player.

I have no issue with someone saying they think Mac is the guy, or can be the guy. I have no issue with someone saying they have no idea what will play out.

But these matter of fact, “Mac is the guy; he doesn’t actually have any meaningful flaws; his struggles are largely or entirely on others, etc” is tough to read … repeatedly.

There is value in discerning the difference between "apologizing/excuse-making" and verifiable observance in the context of team play. Quarterbacks do not operate in a vacuum a la golfers, tennis players or pole-vaulters.

Nobody -- and I mean, NOBODY -- with half a brain is matter-of-factly claiming Mac has no flaws or struggles in his game. That's expected given his level of experience. But anyone concluding "poor pocket presence," "can't make all the throws," "doesn't see the whole field," etc., etc. based on this past abortion of a season simply doesn't know what they're talking about.

But anyone concluding "poor pocket presence," "can't make all the throws," "doesn't see the whole field," etc., etc. based on this past abortion of a season simply doesn't know what they're talking about.

I am a Mac supporter but he has had limitations since college. Read @BaconGrundleCandy draft outlook - a lot of it is still true today. Mac was improving at the end of last season, lets hope that projection continues.

I am a Mac supporter but he has had limitations since college. Read @BaconGrundleCandy draft outlook - a lot of it is still true today. Mac was improving at the end of last season, lets hope that projection continues.

Name me a pro quarterback with nothing to improve upon coming out of college or after his second year. My only point to the naysayers is last season is not a conclusive barometer to any aspect of his game.

Name me a pro quarterback with nothing to improve upon coming out of college or after his second year. My only point to the naysayers is last season is not a conclusive barometer to any aspect of his game.

Nice post.

It is even more puzzling considering the offense was designed to make Jones look like a star. He thrives when his tackles don’t block so Patricia had his tackles not block. Jones thrives when receivers run bad routes so Patricia had receivers run bad routes with no separation. Everything Jones wanted he got and he under performed.

You guys want to blame Jones for everything wrong with the offense.

And stop comparing him to Brady. It isn’t fair to compare any QB in the league other than maybe Mahomes to Brady.
Do a Mac highlight reel that has 2021 and 2022 with music.

At the end, show Jones 50 yard TD run and dance from the 2021 Probowl.

And stop comparing him to Brady. It isn’t fair to compare any QB in the league other than maybe Mahomes to Brady.
I compare Mac to Drew Bledsoe minus the rocket arm.

Same type of QB who will always need just 1 more player on offense to win.

That sounds terrible.
That’s like saying he’s like Vick without the speed.
Or he’s like Brady without the heart.
Or he’s like Manning without the brain.

Bledsoe was a top QB in the 90s who got the Pats to the Super Bowl. If Jones turns into a Bledsoe, he will be the Patriots' QB for a long time.

Do a Mac highlight reel that has 2021 and 2022 with music.

At the end, show Jones 50 yard TD run and dance from the 2021 Probowl.

I am not doing highlight reels. I said that down the stretch, Jones performed far better under pressure than he did earlier in the season and gave a few examples of video to support this claim. You are spinning all of it into something I was never saying because of your blind hatred of the guy.

Bledsoe was a top QB in the 90s who got the Pats to the Super Bowl. If Jones turns into a Bledsoe, he will be the Patriots' QB for a long time.
That's my hope too so the Pats really need to hit in this FA and Draft get some legit Playmakers around him. We all remember Drew he couldn't do by himself he needed all the help he could get in C Martin - B Coates and T Glenn among others.

There is value in discerning the difference between "apologizing/excuse-making" and verifiable observance in the context of team play. Quarterbacks do not operate in a vacuum a la golfers, tennis players or pole-vaulters.

Nobody -- and I mean, NOBODY -- with half a brain is matter-of-factly claiming Mac has no flaws or struggles in his game. That's expected given his level of experience. But anyone concluding "poor pocket presence," "can't make all the throws," "doesn't see the whole field," etc., etc. based on this past abortion of a season simply doesn't know what they're talking about.
I think his pocket presence is okay in general but it wasn’t great at times last year - but, yeah, you kind of have to put that on the offensive line and the OC. Too many hits made him a little frantic and poor routes and play design made it harder to make quick decisions. I am more willing to think about his year 1 pocket presence in this regard, which was fine. With throws - I think he can make all the throws but seems a little lacking in power at times. He appears to be working on that so that should hopefully not be an issue. Field vision - again I felt like that was a little spotty this season but in general I think he’s good at it when he’s not worrying about getting hit or getting the ball out extremely fast so he doesn’t get hit. I think all of these areas will see big improvements this year between his own diligence and the coaching from O’Brien and Klemm, as well as hopefully some new pieces on the OL and maybe WR.

Posted this in the "LinkSpace" area, but this was also a pretty good overall collection someone posted of some of the throws he's made over his first two seasons:

Must be new gluten free noodles

I am neutral on Phil Perry. But his podcast was brought up in reference to how well he performed with a clean pocket. So I posted the podcast for reference.

I wasn't referring to Perry.

Yup, they are there, it's true. It's important to note though. They're not set in stone. Like someone can't improve.

That predraft stuff is good for a baseline. To see how someone improved on arm strength or footwork or we. To know which areas we might be seeing struggles in early on.

Useful but not the end all, be all.

He's been working his butt off the past two years that's for sure.

More from nicshimonek with Mac:

He had a couple of others with Mac doing some agility stuff as well, at least for however long they stay in his feed:

He had a couple of others with Mac doing some agility stuff as well, at least for however long they stay in his feed:

I like that they are working on a lot of hip movement and strenght stuff. That will definitely help him in a lot of areas from throwing to movement inside and outside the pocket.

Last edited:

thats gotta be amazing for building stability muscles

his arm is shaking like a leaf, which means hes targeting those stabilizers that arent as strong as they need to be

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back