PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones working out with Nic Shimonek on his strength and conditioning

The guy who quotes his favorite draft experts completely wrong is giving me advice on doing research. Too funny.

Sorry I was on a plane to Charlotte working on my phone. Sue me for getting something wrong. What is your excuse for getting things wrong all the time?

Rob - You didn't just get "something wrong". You were so far off base that you sounded like Capt.Stone. That's like a certain politician saying "some people did something" in regards to 9/11.

BCG is right far more often than he's wrong. And when he's wrong, he admits to it. You should try it sometime instead of getting your panties in a wad.

Yeah I don't think that's gonna happen with Jones in a top heavy AFC. BB's coaching alone ain't gonna be enough. We need a top qb. He and Andy Reid basically switched places.
The 2022 Pats defense and run game was good enough to make a run, but you nailed it at QB.

Time is running out for BB.

The only people trying too hard are the ones starting threads about offseason workout sessions or posting statements from current players that say: "He's my QB." None of that means ****.

He needs to show what he's got on the field, lead a comeback win, carry the offense for a change, get wins and go deep into the playoffs. The rest are platitudes and ********.

I understand that we are/were only allowed to be impressed with Brady’s offseason workouts (while also overlooking his trip to Monaco in behalf of Aston Martin while his teammates were practicing, during his “I need my family time” offseason) but if Mac had been photographed looking soft around the middle while lounging on a beach chair in Aruba, I guarantee that some here would have criticized him for it.

Of course his offseason workouts have to translate to production/improvement on the field but I’m also glad to see that he is already being aggressive about his physical preparation for the 2023 season. At a minimum it likely demonstrates that Mac recognizes that he is entered a critical point in his career and that even his boosters who are giving him a mulligan for 2022 will jump ship if he doesn’t at least look as good as he did at times in his rookie year. Nobody here is pretending that football-specific workouts with a trainer that most of us have never heard of guarantees anything in terms of his success next year.

I am not sure that you are serious. TB12 is legendary for his focus on always getting better and clearly improved to become an all time talent by 2007. Off the top of my head he worked with Tom House for several years after joining the Pats, had the reputation of being the first one in the weight room, made a concentrated effort to improve his foot work during the non championship period and sold his soul to the freakshow known as Alex Guerrero.

The facts that TB12 was not a finished product straight out of college and that Mac has demonstrated that he is committed to improve does not take anything away from TB12 and his achievements. Even if Mac's hard work allows him to be a good NFL QB TB12 will always be the GOAT. Mac is the best hope for the team to be good next year. Investing in another QB will take resources away from other needs.
Just a correction. Tom Brady worked with a coach by the name of Tom Martinez. They worked together from the time Brady was a sophomore in HS until Mr. Martinez passed in February of 2012. Nearly 20 years. I believe that Brady started working with Tom House in 2013.

Remember when the Jones haters claimed Judon joking about Jones only passing three times was proof that Judon didn't have confidence in Jones?

Remember when these same haters said Trent Brown liking a comment on Twitter was proof that he hated Mac Jones?

What do you expect Judon to say now? Create controversy for Corky Boi when its obvious he has 1 year left?

Why doesnt Judon brag on Corks arm and TDs? He could address a few of the several deficiencies in the Franchise QBs game. Tell us all what a leader Corky is and all that yelling and whining was sheer determination and fire in the belly. Get the champagne ready. Is Judon going to hold a press conference and say wait a minute if Corky gets sent to warm the bench? No, he will recite the party line.

In regards to Brown.

back-pedal-bike.gif

If people have not figured out that Bradys scouting report was BS they never will.

What do you expect Judon to say now? Create controversy for Corky Boi when its obvious he has 1 year left?

Why doesnt Judon brag on Corks arm and TDs? He could address a few of the several deficiencies in the Franchise QBs game. Tell us all what a leader Corky is and all that yelling and whining was sheer determination and fire in the belly. Get the champagne ready. Is Judon going to hold a press conference and say wait a minute if Corky gets sent to warm the bench? No, he will recite the party line.

In regards to Brown.

back-pedal-bike.gif
He could say nothing, but he didn't, he endorsed him, spin it any way you want, the guys that play with him like him and have faith in him.

The only people trying too hard are the ones starting threads about offseason workout sessions or posting statements from current players that say: "He's my QB." None of that means ****.

First of all, threads about players' offseason work -- especially the quarterback -- are informative, educational and welcome on a fan site. Secondly, on-record statements by players about other players -- especially a quarterback who drew criticism last season -- are newsworthy however innocuous they might seem.

Again, on a fan site these things mean more than "****."

He needs to show what he's got on the field, lead a comeback win, carry the offense for a change, get wins and go deep into the playoffs.

Yes, Mac needs to do all these things to be considered a franchise quarterback.

The rest are platitudes and ********.

It's the offseason, to some fans that kind of stuff is interesting. However benign it might seem on the surface they become part of an overall mosaic from which impressions are drawn.

Last edited:
I remember when TB first took over as QB1. Criticisms of him included a weak arm, limited mobility and a general lack of muscular strength. These are criticisms that have been leveled at Mac. TB answered by working on these items in the off season and improved in those areas. It remains to be seen if Mac's workouts will lead to a similar improvement.

Yeah I don't think that's gonna happen with Jones in a top heavy AFC. BB's coaching alone ain't gonna be enough. We need a top qb. He and Andy Reid basically switched places.

So, how do you propose Bill gets a top QB? You guys say it like they just grow on trees and Bill is stubbornly hanging onto Mac Jones when instead he could have some top QB and win a superbowl

And how do you even know whether you have a top QB an average QB or a bad QB if you don't give them time to develop?

In your scenario the eagles would've dumped hurts after his 2nd season because he looked pretty average and not a top QB

Brady did numerous things to get better. Here are some of them:
- Took boxing lessons to learn to improve his footwork
- Took martial arts lessons to learn how to fall without tensing up. He swears this lead to less injuries whenever he was sacked.
- Plyometrics. He swears that this helped him improve all around.

Two of the things that were highlighted about Mac during the draft process :
- Had a short memory in terms of bad plays affecting his confidence
- Was always looking to improve. I seem to remember he would keep notes on what he did wrong so he could work on them.

We know that last off-season he worked with Tom House some. We don't know how much. We also know that he spent time with the receivers trying to build a rapport with them. More than a few posters took these as positive steps for Mac.

We know that this off-season, Mac has already started working on his strength and conditioning. Hopefully, it's working on his core and his footwork.

I don't expect Mac Jones to be Tom Brady. That would be unfair to both of them. I do expect Mac Jones to do the things necessary to get better. One of the things that people don't mention is that last year was something that Mac hadn't experienced in many years (if ever). A losing season. If what Mac's HS coach says is true about Mac's character, Mac is going to use that experience as a motivation to do even better. Only time will tell if that is the case, but it's reason for being positive.

Personally, I'm looking forward to watching his development provided that the Pats fix the OTs. I don't think Mac can survive another season where they use 5 different RTs.

Wrong about what? That Judon said: "He's our QB?"

OK, you sold me. Based on this, Mac will be a top 5 QB and take us to the AFCCG this season.

LOL! You highlighted the part that he said as long as Jones is his QB and claimed it was a weak endorsement ignoring that he said Jones isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. If you are going to be dishonest about what you post, there is no reason arguing with you.

Rob - You didn't just get "something wrong". You were so far off base that you sounded like Capt.Stone. That's like a certain politician saying "some people did something" in regards to 9/11.

BCG is right far more often than he's wrong. And when he's wrong, he admits to it. You should try it sometime instead of getting your panties in a wad.

He has been wrong with me and doubled down on his stupidity. But then again, I seem to trigger him. So maybe he is just unhinged when he argues with me and not with others.

In regards to Brown.

back-pedal-bike.gif

He has never said a bad word about Jones once in public. What makes you think he is lying now?

So, how do you propose Bill gets a top QB? You guys say it like they just grow on trees and Bill is stubbornly hanging onto Mac Jones when instead he could have some top QB and win a superbowl

And how do you even know whether you have a top QB an average QB or a bad QB if you don't give them time to develop?

In your scenario the eagles would've dumped hurts after his 2nd season because he looked pretty average and not a top QB

I didn't say we dump him, he's our best option at the moment. What I'm saying is our ceiling is mid playoff team if Mac Jones doesn't make a very significant leap because we are in a top heavy conference. Sure Jalen Hurts had a breakout year but the NFC isn't as top heavy. Eagles only really had the 49ers in their way this season. He had a better path vs. the gauntlet of AFC teams Mac Jones has to face in the foreseeable future. I haven't seen anything from him that makes me think he can carry this team in the playoffs when you need your qb to win you games. He already isn't as physically talented as those guys, it also seems like whatever good intangibles he had last season disappeared too.

LOL! You highlighted the part that he said as long as Jones is his QB and claimed it was a weak endorsement ignoring that he said Jones isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. If you are going to be dishonest about what you post, there is no reason arguing with you.
How does Judon saying that make it a given, exactly? Is he the GM? Does he know what Bill is thinking? Does Bill consult w/ Judon about the future prospect of the players?

You seem to want to double down on anything Judon says. Not sure what point you're trying to make. Judon's statements seem in keeping w/ traditional Patriots company line. There's nothing earth shattering about his comments but if you're excited about them, good for you.

How does Judon saying that make it a given, exactly? Is he the GM? Does he know what Bill is thinking? Does Bill consult w/ Judon about the future prospect of the players?

You seem to want to double down on anything Judon says. Not sure what point you're trying to make. Judon's statements seem in keeping w/ traditional Patriots company line. There's nothing earth shattering about his comments but if you're excited about them, good for you.

You are really putting on a clinic of all the crappy arguments from pathetic posters. Nothing you posted here is remotely relevant to the argument at hand. It is just goal post moving BS.

You highlighted the part of his comments speaking about as long as Jones is his QB as some tepid endorsement ignoring the fact Judon also said Jones isn’t going anywhere any time soon clearly meaning he thinks he is a franchise QB.

And I also said these comments don’t mean much, but it means more than a joke from last year which clearly Judon was busting balls. But we have no idea what any player thinks in private.

He could say nothing, but he didn't, he endorsed him, spin it any way you want, the guys that play with him like him and have faith in him.
Too funny, Judon backtracked thats hes all in now the same as Trent Brown.

2 months ago Brown wanted Jimmy or Brady but this week Mac is his dog.

He has never said a bad word about Jones once in public. What makes you think he is lying now?
Judon said that Corky just handed the ball off in Buffalo.

Respect for his game Yo.

Spin the Buffalo game as a QB positive.

Let's see your best stuff.

No INTs !

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back