PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones vs. the other rookie QBs

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Mac Jones has started 13 games, and won 9.

A fun fact: The other five rookie QBs that have started have collectively started 39 games. They've only won 6. [Lawrence 2–11, Wilson 2–7, Lance 0–1, Fields 2–7, and Mills 0–7.]

Here's my question: do you think any of those QBs would get the Patriots to 9–4? Conversely, if Mac Jones were on the other teams, how would they do? [Assume, for the sake of argument, that it's just a swap of the players; e.g., for Lawrence, somehow Jones goes #1 overall while Lawrence falls to Nike at #15.]

Personally, I don't think any of the other rookies would have a 9–4 record, though I do think Lawrence, at least, would have a winning record. I'm also convinced that Lance was too raw to win the starting job right away.

Conversely, I don't think Mac alone would get any of those other teams over .500, but I think he'd probably have more than two wins on the JEST, Texans, Jaguars, or Bears. As for the 49ers, it'd be interesting to see if he could beat out Garoppolo. I think he'd have had a chance, but it wouldn't be a definite thing.

Lawrence drafted by Bill and coached by Josh would be excellent. I never ever believed in Wilson and Trey Lance shouldn’t even be a day 1 pick. Fields I have no idea.

We shall see in 3 years. I think 3 years is a good enough sample size for a 1st rd QB. For now we got our guy.

We shall see in 3 years. I think 3 years is a good enough sample size for a 1st rd QB. For now we got our guy.
I'm not talking about the future. Only the last 3 months.

Mac has been sheltered, but Brady was on a short leash as well.

There will come a game when the Pats are behind and Mac must throw to win the game. A day when the NE defense is not having a great game. The Pats could run, but time is of the essence. Im waiting to see if Mac can come through.

The Colts could very well be that game.

Mac Jones has started 13 games, and won 9.

A fun fact: The other five rookie QBs that have started have collectively started 39 games. They've only won 6. [Lawrence 2–11, Wilson 2–7, Lance 0–1, Fields 2–7, and Mills 0–7.]

Here's my question: do you think any of those QBs would get the Patriots to 9–4? Conversely, if Mac Jones were on the other teams, how would they do? [Assume, for the sake of argument, that it's just a swap of the players; e.g., for Lawrence, somehow Jones goes #1 overall while Lawrence falls to Nike at #15.]

Personally, I don't think any of the other rookies would have a 9–4 record, though I do think Lawrence, at least, would have a winning record. I'm also convinced that Lance was too raw to win the starting job right away.

Conversely, I don't think Mac alone would get any of those other teams over .500, but I think he'd probably have more than two wins on the JEST, Texans, Jaguars, or Bears. As for the 49ers, it'd be interesting to see if he could beat out Garoppolo. I think he'd have had a chance, but it wouldn't be a definite thing.
I love college football as much as I love NFL and watch games all the time. I watched 3 of these QBs play just about every game of their college football careers. What I saw in college, is kind of what I see when I watch them play in the NFL, at least when I have seen them play.

I think Lawrence would be more successful on any other team than the Jags. He was a hellva QB in college, great arm, accurate but not like Mac and very mobile, the only area he lacked was processing. If the 1st or 2nd read wasn't open, he used his legs which he could easily do in college, but that will catch up with him in NFL. He needs a coach that will help him stay in pocket and process his reads better. It looks like he is pressing a lot and the coaches are pushing him to stay in the pocket to throw without giving him the players to do it and he is throwing INTs. If he gets a good coach, watch out.

Justin Fields is much the same as Lawrence, but lacks the size. He had real problems in college processes the reads and relied on his legs way too much. He has a very strong arm, but not as accurate as Jones or Lawrence. He hasn't played as much as Lawrence, but what I have seen is the same I saw at Ohio State that won't work in NFL

I didn't see much of Wilson or Lance play in college, in fact Lance played 1 game last year so I can't really comment of their college play. Wilson is a wreck as we can all see and Lance is not ready for the NFL.

As far as Mac goes, he stayed at Bama and back up Hurts and Tua, he studied the game and came into games after we had the game well in hand. He was ready to start and lead us to a record breaking National Championship. He was extremely lucky to go to the Patriots. I don't think he could do what he is doing at the Jags, but would be more successful at the Bears than Fields, Jets than Wilson, and would have given Garoppolo a run for the starting QB.

This team would have a winning record with almost anyone under center. They are 9-4 with a kid playing close to league average levels (which is fantastic for a pocket passer at this stage). They'd be 11-2 with very good or great qb play.

Mac would be Macking with the 49ers. I don't want to imagine what he'd be doing with the Jags, Texans, Bears, or Jete, as it would not be pretty and he probably would never recover.

Outside of that one TNF game I haven't watched much of the Jags as they hardly even end up on Redzone. With what little I have seen Lawrence seems to have all the physical tools and can make some great throws but he looks lost out there. Jags ownership has done Lawrence a major disservice providing him with Urban Meyer as a coach. The whole thing is a clown show and Urban never ran a pro style offense before and no QB he ever coached in college was ever able to play in the NFL. If I am Shad Khan I throw a bunch of money at Josh or old friend Kevin O'Connell and cut my losses and scrap the Meyer experience.

Imagine if the 49ers took Mac at 3, and then traded Jimmy to the Pats for a second rounder plus another pick. Mac would have been the day one starter in SF with a loaded roster and would be judged by how Jimmy would have been fairing with the Pats.

I think scheme and who drafts you, have as much to do with QB sucess as the talent the QB possesses.

I think the Pats would have the same record if they had either Jimmy or Lawrence at QB instead of Mac.

Every one of those guys would be doing a lot better in NE than they are on their current teams. But the other part of that question is could any of those other guys be our day 1 starter? Which means beating Cam Newton for his job. Obviously they aren't starting games here if they couldn't do that.

Lawrence would be our day 1 starter for sure. Those other guys - probably not.

Coaches with rookie QBs: Belichick, Shanahan, Meyer, Nagy, Saleh

There's a reason why Mac is the top rookie QB right now and you can't say for sure <rookie QB> would suck here when he probably plays for a coach a lot worse than BB. And putting Mac with those other guys would be a mess.

I still feel Lance has a shot to be awesome. Lance and Lawrence were the ONLY guys I was super excited about. I liked Mac but I knocked him because of his supporting cast at Alabama. I initially saw Mac as a slightly better Trask.

I think Mills would've surprised us. He's currently on pace to be 5th all time for completion % for rookies in the NFL in that absolute sh*tshow down south. He certainly (theoretically) would've had the brains to grasp our complex playbook.

I thought the same with Josh Allen and have been proven completely wrong but I don’t think Zach Wilson is an NFL QB. Never have. And there is ZERO chance he develops on the Jets unlike Allen who had a decent support system around him.

This team would have a winning record with almost anyone under center. They are 9-4 with a kid playing close to league average levels (which is fantastic for a pocket passer at this stage). They'd be 11-2 with very good or great qb play.

Mac would be Macking with the 49ers. I don't want to imagine what he'd be doing with the Jags, Texans, Bears, or Jete, as it would not be pretty and he probably would never recover.
Hm i think you might be doing Mac a diservice. I can't remember if it's QBR or PFF but supposedly he is the top rated QB from November onwards. Or at least was before the Bills game

Hm i think you might be doing Mac a diservice. I can't remember if it's QBR or PFF but supposedly he is the top rated QB from November onwards. Or at least was before the Bills game
Not trying to do a disservice at all. If someone stabbed me right now I'd bleed Mac n Cheese. Police would be puzzled at the huge puddle of melted cheese upon arriving at the scene.

I love college football as much as I love NFL and watch games all the time. I watched 3 of these QBs play just about every game of their college football careers. What I saw in college, is kind of what I see when I watch them play in the NFL, at least when I have seen them play.

I think Lawrence would be more successful on any other team than the Jags. He was a hellva QB in college, great arm, accurate but not like Mac and very mobile, the only area he lacked was processing. If the 1st or 2nd read wasn't open, he used his legs which he could easily do in college, but that will catch up with him in NFL. He needs a coach that will help him stay in pocket and process his reads better. It looks like he is pressing a lot and the coaches are pushing him to stay in the pocket to throw without giving him the players to do it and he is throwing INTs. If he gets a good coach, watch out.

Justin Fields is much the same as Lawrence, but lacks the size. He had real problems in college processes the reads and relied on his legs way too much. He has a very strong arm, but not as accurate as Jones or Lawrence. He hasn't played as much as Lawrence, but what I have seen is the same I saw at Ohio State that won't work in NFL
With respect you're off on Fields. He's 6'3 225 230. His size and physique are probably the best of the class. He's also arguably the most accurate college passer ever (surprised this escapes so many people). Esp when you consider scheme and system.
I didn't see much of Wilson or Lance play in college, in fact Lance played 1 game last year so I can't really comment of their college play. Wilson is a wreck as we can all see and Lance is not ready for the NFL.

As far as Mac goes, he stayed at Bama and back up Hurts and Tua, he studied the game and came into games after we had the game well in hand. He was ready to start and lead us to a record breaking National Championship. He was extremely lucky to go to the Patriots. I don't think he could do what he is doing at the Jags, but would be more successful at the Bears than Fields, Jets than Wilson, and would have given Garoppolo a run for the starting QB.
No doubt you're a Bama fan. I love it.

Why compare with other rookies. Mac is the 6th highest rated QB in the entire NFL, forget just the rookies.

What a home run pick.

Kudos to Eliot Wolf and Groh who completely turned around several years of crappy drafts.

Not trying to do a disservice at all. If someone stabbed me right now I'd bleed Mac n Cheese. Police would be puzzled at the huge puddle of melted cheese upon arriving at the scene.
Well we can rule out lactose intolerance then.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back