PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones Through 2 Games (2021 vs 2022 vs 2023) By QTR and Redzone Totals

Didn't you post in the Tampa Bay ghetto a while back that you were done with the NFL when Brady retires? What happened with that? All you do now is foul various threads by ignorantly throwing shade at Mac and BB.
To be fair, there was WAY less concern on this forum over people who were blatantly and transparently NOT fans of the Patriots and/or Brady haters masquerading as “Pats fans” to constantly line every thread with “it’s mostly Belichick” and “we should move on to Garoppolo” 2012-2020 while not liking Mac Jones seems to be some cardinal sin.

To be fair, there was WAY less concern on this forum over people who were blatantly and transparently NOT fans of the Patriots and/or Brady haters masquerading as “Pats fans” to constantly line every thread with “it’s mostly Belichick” and “we should move on to Garoppolo” 2012-2020 while not liking Mac Jones seems to be some cardinal sin.

After reading this post three times I still haven't the foggiest what you're trying to say. :confused:

He's actually the perfect example of folks who believe stats are more important than wins.

I would take Lamar Jackson over Herbert every day of the week and I can't stand Lamar.

Joe Burrow is 0 - 2. He is not worth a 1st rounder either?

while not liking Mac Jones seems to be some cardinal sin.
Why do you say that? I think most posters have said if Mac is no better by the end of 2023, they are worried.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
After reading this post three times I still haven't the foggiest what you're trying to say. :confused:
There was endless tolerance for attacking Brady and endless tolerance for the regurgitation of the dumbest Brady-sucks aged-like-milk Felger & Mazz Brady takes. Meanwhile, any criticism of Mac Jones seems to be taken personally by people. I just don’t understand it.

"everybody knows.")

4 in 2 games extrapolates to 32 on 16, though he gets 17 to work with. I just didn't want to try to do fancy math. Now that said, tiny sample size (and by the way, I don't want the extrapolated 16 int. if we have a choice, but if not.... I'll take that 2-1 ratio. Tom's not here man.)
2x17 =34, That's fancy math?

There was endless tolerance for attacking Brady and endless tolerance for the regurgitation of the dumbest Brady-sucks aged-like-milk Felger & Mazz Brady takes. Meanwhile, any criticism of Mac Jones seems to be taken personally by people. I just don’t understand it.

Maybe there's been a bit of both here and there but I haven't seen either to a large extent on Patsfans. Brady was mostly revered here (except by that clueless clown FCB) and Mac has been pretty much relegated thus far to "not the guy" or "the jury's still out." For my part, I never criticized Brady's on-field performance -- he was the GOAT. Mac is a work in progress, IMO.

I don't see anything like that take on PatsFans. Are you referring to posters here? If so, are there any examples? Or are you referring to talk radio?

This is what BOB said this week:

“We have to improve the running game, there’s no doubt about that. I think that starts with us as a coaching staff. We have to do a better job with what we believe we’re going to see and what we actually see on game day.”

Basically BOB is admitting he was out coached in W2. That is what "We have to do a better job with what we believe we’re going to see” means. The Dolphins stacked the box and even played aggressively against the outside screens. BOB had no answer to that defense planned.

It isn’t taking it personally. It is that some of the criticism is not based on facts. If you combined all the different reasons people think Mac sucks from this thread alone, Jones would make you long for the days of Hugh Millen. A lot of the Patriots haters aren’t even on the same page why he sucks. Go back and count all the reasons people in thread thinks he sucks.

And I remember pretty heated outrage on this board at the beginning of the 2014 season where the local and national dialog was Brady and the Patriots are washed up. Remember that year had Brady having a tuba player blocking for him. People still hate Trent Dilfer nearly a decade later.

And if people got upset and complained on this board about things said on Felger and Mazz, Ian would have to create a whole Felger and Mazz forum. That show is an endless stream of bad takes of negativity. Jim Murray spends most of his time on the air bashing Mac Jones. I rarely see people bringing up those takes.

Last edited:
If the Patriots are smart they will pick up Mac's option and continue building around him. Most "sure-thing" quarterbacks in the draft end up being anything but -- look no further than than the likes of Lance, Fields, Punky McMilfson, etc. We all were spoiled by Tom Brady's rare excellence and made impatient by someone falling short of that elite standard. This offense will remain a work in progress for a while yet, steadiness and continuity at quarterback will be crucial to it getting over the hump.

I like what BOB is doing re. taking flyers on players like Corral, Book and Grier. Eventually a strong backup will emerge, perhaps even a diamond in the rough who can push Mac.
Mac would have to put the Team on his back and win some games for that to happen *5th year option that is*. We need some proof that he can do that because right now we don't have any. I wasn't a huge fan of Drew Bledsoe because you could see the flaws but Drew had the ability to make some plays though far from perfect. What would I give if Mac morphs into such a player? That said I think if things don't go well for him he'll be a Back-up here next year and we're back to the drawing board.

Man...I don't know about that. Consistently injured and hasn't had much success in the postseason.

And I hear you about the stats, but try and also keep in mind that with Herbert, there are a lot of issues out there with their defense that have been their problem so far. Not the offense.

And a lot of the other players in that list are all 1-1, it's not like the gap record-wise is that deep yet across the board. Especially given that in a lot of cases, it's only a one-game difference since only two teams in the conference are 2-0. Not saying that will remain the case, but obviously, that's where things sit for most of them right now.

I don't get it, for Jackson it's about post-season success and for Mac it's about QB stats, see post #1 in this thread.

I agree. Don’t get me wrong, he’s a good player. They sort of don’t know much about him from that standpoint. Obviously, he wins a lot of games, but the next question is going to be whether or not he can carry them deeper into the postseason, as well as if he can start getting smarter with the hits he takes.

That’s a big if. And it’s tough because he’s also a good athlete where when things break down, he’s tough to defend when he takes off.

I’m not a huge fan of seeing Baltimore have success, so I’m a little biased there. But as good as he is, he’s still got to prove to people that what we’ve seen isn’t the norm. Maybe he will, but it’s a long year. And he also still has to try and stay healthy to get there. That’s a big ask for someone who plays the way he does.

I root for him when I take Baltimore in the picks contest…and I still feel a little guilty each time I do ;)

For Mac, it's IF he can win in the regular season, IF he can then win in the post season... so Mac's not on the same level as Jackson, a former MVP. Mac is the one that needs to prove he belongs in the NFL, not Lamar. Lamar's a real 2x pro bowler, not an alternate too.

Right now, I think SF is kicking themselves thinking they should have stayed pat and drafted Mac 12th overall. SF would probably be the same place without giving up those additional draft choices.

Reactions: Ian
I don't get it, for Jackson it's about post-season success and for Mac it's about QB stats, see post #1 in this thread.

For Mac, it's IF he can win in the regular season, IF he can then win in the post season... so Mac's not on the same level as Jackson, a former MVP. Mac is the one that needs to prove he belongs in the NFL, not Lamar. Lamar's a real 2x pro bowler, not an alternate too.

Right now, I think SF is kicking themselves thinking they should have stayed pat and drafted Mac 12th overall. SF would probably be the same place without giving up those additional draft choices.
Agree 100%. But my post wasn’t really a Mac vs Jackson comparison, rather just talking about Jackson and what he’s done so far. Until he can prove he can both stay healthy and win in the postseason, I’m assuming Ravens fans are probably having similar debates in their own forum. ;)

Why do you say that? I think most posters have said if Mac is no better by the end of 2023, they are worried.
I think many already have their minds made up, which is probably the biggest issue. People forget that it’s hard for young quarterbacks to establish themselves and they’re going to have growing pains. Whether we like it or not, it does take time. After 20+ years of Brady, people have a standard for excellence, which I get, but it’s just not realistic. We’re not 5yrs into this and 2022 was such a mess that it’s hard to really form a real opinion given the context.

I mean, people were done with him three games into his second season last year. It was crazy.

So you’re absolutely correct that we’ll have a better feel by the end of 2023, but most people have already formulated an opinion and I don’t think barring perfect play (or even a winning record) that their minds are going to change.

And I don’t even care if it’s Mac. I’m assuming the same thing will happen with the next guy. You’ll have half the board split there also, with people already hoping for another one…it’s a strange dynamic that I didn’t expect.

You sort of have to be patient and root for the kid (or any player for that matter) because every time they go through this, it’s going to take more time. And every new start means potentially lost seasons. I think most of us would rather avoid that.

Like you said, he’s who they have and we’ll have a better feel for if it will stay that way beyond 2023. Hopefully, they make a move to get things going in a better direction with a win today.

I think many already have their minds made up, which is probably the biggest issue. People forget that it’s hard for young quarterbacks to establish themselves and they’re going to have growing pains. Whether we like it or not, it does take time. After 20+ years of Brady, people have a standard for excellence, which I get, but it’s just not realistic. We’re not 5yrs into this and 2022 was such a mess that it’s hard to really form a real opinion given the context.

I mean, people were done with him three games into his second season last year. It was crazy.

So you’re absolutely correct that we’ll have a better feel by the end of 2023, but most people have already formulated an opinion and I don’t think barring perfect play (or even a winning record) that their minds are going to change.

And I don’t even care if it’s Mac. I’m assuming the same thing will happen with the next guy. You’ll have half the board split there also, with people already hoping for another one…it’s a strange dynamic that I didn’t expect.

You sort of have to be patient and root for the kid (or any player for that matter) because every time they go through this, it’s going to take more time. And every new start means potentially lost seasons. I think most of us would rather avoid that.

Like you said, he’s who they have and we’ll have a better feel for if it will stay that way beyond 2023. Hopefully, they make a move to get things going in a better direction with a win today.

People cite Peyton Manning and Josh Allen. Those are two guys with other worldly talent. The fact is that the overwhelming majority of drafted quarterbacks are somewhat of a finished product after a year or two. There is rarely a big level up where they progress every year. It isn’t like karate belts.

We can laugh at other fanbases hoping that Mitch Trubisky, Justin Fields, Sam Darnold, etc “will develop” while we all see it for what it is. That’s what we’re doing with Mac. He’s going to have good games. He’s going to have good stretches of games. So do all those guys. The highs aren’t high or long enough and the lows aren’t high or short enough. That’s the issue.

The difference is that Mac is an adequate QB. He might be too good to be a backup. If you made him backup on any team without a top 15 QB then you’d have a controversy. He’s good enough to start, but he’s not good enough to elevate an offense.

As I’ve said he was a good pick in mid first round. He doesn’t need to be a disaster or total bust for me to say he definitely isn’t a QB a team should build around in 2023, and the sooner the front office looks elsewhere the better.

People cite Peyton Manning and Josh Allen. Those are two guys with other worldly talent. The fact is that the overwhelming majority of drafted quarterbacks are somewhat of a finished product after a year or two. There is rarely a big level up where they progress every year. It isn’t like karate belts.

We can laugh at other fanbases hoping that Mitch Trubisky, Justin Fields, Sam Darnold, etc “will develop” while we all see it for what it is. That’s what we’re doing with Mac. He’s going to have good games. He’s going to have good stretches of games. So do all those guys. The highs aren’t high or long enough and the lows aren’t high or short enough. That’s the issue.

The difference is that Mac is an adequate QB. He might be too good to be a backup. If you made him backup on any team without a top 15 QB then you’d have a controversy. He’s good enough to start, but he’s not good enough to elevate an offense.

As I’ve said he was a good pick in mid first round. He doesn’t need to be a disaster or total bust for me to say he definitely isn’t a QB a team should build around in 2023, and the sooner the front office looks elsewhere the better.
I hear what you're saying, but the problem is, save for the draft, it's not like any of the elite names will come free via trade. So you basically have to start over if you have to grab a rookie. And Manning was highly touted, so the leash was longer there despite his first-season struggles.

But Josh Allen is still the exception since people were ready to kick him to the curb until they loaded up on talent around him. And there are plenty of people in Buffalo who aren't convinced, basically similar to what's happening here. While Mac isn't Allen, it's a comparable situation since he's essentially where Allen was before he showed any real promise. Discarding a QB, unless he's absolutely terrible after year two usually isn't the best way to go. That's generally done after year three. That being said, if Jones plays poorly this year all season, I'm sure they'll switch gears. They'll have to.

Still, they still need someone else who can line up under center on Sundays. Until they find a better option, he's who they have. I know you say we laugh at other teams, it doesn't change the fact that there aren't elite guys, or above average ones for that matter, sitting there available to make a change to. Although, again, as I've said in other threads, I'm sure they'll continue drafting guys just as they always have, and it's certainly possible that the next Garoppolo-esque guy they find may have an easier time unseating him than they did against the last guy. :)

Mac played pretty well considering limitations of receivers and lack of RPO.

Juju was a disaster today.
Douglas missed 2 catches and 1 which should have been a touchdown had he run the correct route .
Henry dropped one
Rham dropped couple .

Justin Fields is gonna just ignore his coaches and play his game!

5/13 for 39 yards and an INT, no TDs. 4 rushes for 25 yards.

Yep, HIS game!

His game he's losing 41-0.

Mac played pretty well considering limitations of receivers and lack of RPO.

Juju was a disaster today.
Douglas missed 2 catches and 1 which should have been a touchdown had he run the correct route .
Henry dropped one
Rham dropped couple .
1 should have been a DPI that wasn't called.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back