PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones terrifies me - Brett Kollmann (Film room video)

I just don't have the patience for this kind of film. Maybe if he talked while running a play over and over I might be able to pay attention. But, I can't concentrate when it's just the players lined up.

Good film though.

Kollman's one of the best I've seen at breaking down film. I highly recommend his YouTube channel.
Agree. I like the way he explains the lingo/concepts that
he is using. Too many don't do that

[deleted]

Below average is more accurate, in my opinion.
I would call it average and its more throwing style then arm strength in my opinion. Brady, especially young Brady, would throw these frozen rope no arc passes that would get to his receiver in 2 secs. Seams, slants, in cuts he was great at all of them. Mac on the other hand puts a ton of air under his passes and it takes 3 secs to get where it’s going. It’s far more timing and anticipation and is in some ways more impressive. More often then not the ball is already in the air before the cut is made. Can be effective just takes a different kind of play call, fades, wheel routes, post or flag routes. Honestly from a throwing perspective Mac reminds me more of Payton Manning then Brady. I can’t tell you how many times watching Manning I would be going pick it! pick it! pick it! only to watch it drop in at the last second in the perfect spot. It was maddening. I have that same worry from the other end no pick! No pick! Watching Mac drop dimes into a bucket. Mac can throw any pass including the 50-60 yard in the air balls he just needs to get it out a second earlier then the guys with an above average or cannon arms.

I would call it average and its more throwing style then arm strength in my opinion. Brady, especially young Brady, would throw these frozen rope no arc passes that would get to his receiver in 2 secs. Seams, slants, in cuts he was great at all of them. Mac on the other hand puts a ton of air under his passes and it takes 3 secs to get where it’s going. It’s far more timing and anticipation and is in some ways more impressive. More often then not the ball is already in the air before the cut is made. Can be effective just takes a different kind of play call, fades, wheel routes, post or flag routes. Honestly from a throwing perspective Mac reminds me more of Payton Manning then Brady. I can’t tell you how many times watching Manning I would be going pick it! pick it! pick it! only to watch it drop in at the last second in the perfect spot. It was maddening. I have that same worry from the other end no pick! No pick! Watching Mac drop dimes into a bucket. Mac can throw any pass including the 50-60 yard in the air balls he just needs to get it out a second earlier then the guys with an above average or cannon arms.
Thanks. I agree.

Pennington and P Manning were both accurate without a rocket arm. Mac's arm strength does not concern me, but his longevity does. The guys with the moderate arm strength don't usually last as long. We should be OK for 5 to 10 years anyway. No issue for now. We will see how much Mac can improve his arm strength over the next two seasons.

I was concerned about his arm strength based on his college tape, but watching him every week has me convinced that it’s better than I thought it was. I’d say it’s a tad below average, which in plenty good enough as long as his shoulder holds up over time.

I was concerned about his arm strength based on his college tape, but watching him every week has me convinced that it’s better than I thought it was. I’d say it’s a tad below average, which in plenty good enough as long as his shoulder holds up over time.

I am not so sure about that. I saw a lot of spectacular bombs to Waddle and DeVonta Smith. Mac's college tape is incredible, quick release and incredible accuracy. That is why I was ranting about the Mac pick after the draft and excoriating SF.

Nac's am is not below average. That's a ridiculous statement. Dude arm is on par with Brady's. He is hitting all the same throws Brady did. He just doesn't put it on a rope as much on purpose. But when he's needed to fire it in there, he has. There have been some out route throws he's put on a rope 15+ yards away. His arm is fine

You never see him panic
T R U E...

All you have to do is look at the Broncos version of Peyton Manning to show that if you can throw accurately and with anticipation, arm strength is irrelevant even on deep pass. Even before his last season where he threw absolute ducks, Manning was throwing floaters that would hang in the air for a good amount of time, but he still had pinpoint accuracy. Yes, the Denver air helped, but that doesn't affect accuracy.

As you point out, Jones has great anticipation and pinpoint accuracy with his passes. So he is unlikely to have those Supermen throws that Herbert or Mahomes will throw, but that doesn't mean he cannot make the plays down the field.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back