PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones...PFF Rookie of the Week

Not exactly a neuroscience major but I do believe hes a smart guy.
I don't believe I saw this mentioned anywhere on this forum, but he was actually awarded the Academic All-American of the year for Division 1 last month. That means he was recognized as the top scholar-athlete in the nation regardless of gender or sport. Definitely a smart guy.

I don't believe I saw this mentioned anywhere on this forum, but he was actually awarded the Academic All-American of the year for Division 1 last month. That means he was recognized as the top scholar-athlete in the nation regardless of gender or sport. Definitely a smart guy.
Yes he was. No question he is bright.

Mac vs Wilson will be a great game. I'd love to see Mac out play him.

First they lose to their former QB after trading him, then lose to a QB they passed on taken 12 spots after Wilson.

Agree, but you have to ask what kind of skill set do you value. A lot of these teams don't look for what BB looks for. I think that is the huge difference and the fact so many of these teams are so poorly run, that plays into BB's hands as a GM. How on earth someone can sell me on Zach Wilson or Trey Lance as better prospects than what Mac Jones did, 1 year removed from #1 overall Joe Burrow out of the SEC, is beyond me.

BBs scouting report with the Browns on his ideal QB is out there and it hasn't changed in 30 years.

Darnold had a down senior year, as did Wilson, comparably to his season prior, and that would be a massive red flag to me, but a team like the Jets just continue to do opposite things that BB would do. It's like clockwork. It's the very definition of insanity.

If you need to roll out or bootleg constantly vs teams like Costal Carolina, Navy, Troy, Texas-San Antonio, Texas State, etc. I mean, it's laughable. And on top of that, Trey Lance goes #3 and has no idea how to read a Div 2 defense. All his plays were way downfield off of broken run plays or scrambling around. Again, nice arm, but what else?

You need more than an arm and athleticism to play QB in this league. There's a reason beyond the Jets OL not being great as to why Wilson took 6 sacks and had an INT and numerous dropped INTs. He plays small and is skittish in the pocket, unlike Mac who stands in and shuffels up and around in the pocket instead.

As for Cam, I think it was just who was available and the best competitor he could have on the cheap to drive competition with Jones. I laughed all summer when BB kept saying Cam was his "QB1". It mean nothing, as BB always rewards production and consistency, and by all accounts Mac was progressing as fast as Stidham was in 2019, before the pandemic came into play.

The pandemic hit and BB didn't even draft a QB, which was odd considering their cap position and the fact there weren't any other veteran QBs around to push Stidham. Stidham already beat out Hoyer, which isn't hard to do. But, he needed someone to push a prospect and Newton was the best choice. I get it, but BB used Newton and Newton used the Pats. I am ok with that because I think it worked.

Meanwhile, Wilson was handed the job and voted captain. I wonder if mommy approves? I bet Wilson wasn't even on NE's draft board.
Excellent post.

The thing I don't get is if Mac was such a great fit for BB's list of things he wanted from a QB (one I've posted here many times), why didn't he move up in the draft to have better odds of getting him? Did he just not think it was worth the draft capital, or did he just not want to show his hand, or did he have full confidence Mac would fall to him without making a move, or did he figure he'd be OK no matter what happened, or some combination of all of the above?

What he did took cast iron cajones. I think it was kind of like SB49, survey everything going on, decide we're in the best position and the best thing to do is let everyone else make their moves instead of showing our hand, because if we're right the payoff is incredible. Yet as above I think he felt worst case if he didn't get Mac, he'd get some other blue chip player, and he'd make do with Cam this season, and he'd have more chips to put on the table next year.

He reminds me of a mini Alex Smith after just 1 start. He looked good and I can't believe the league let him slide to 15. This new obsession the 'athletic new breed QB' is getting ridiculous. If I was Brady I'd play until 60 if these are the guys I have to beat.

It's rumored that Mac might be nominated for the Nobel Prize in football.

It's rumored that Mac might be nominated for the Nobel Prize in football.
I’d settle for SB MVP
I worried in a post that there would be major over-the-top overreactions (either for the good or bad) to Mac's performance in his first game as a rookie QB, I'm glad to see that didn't happen. At least he hasn't been nominated for President (yet) ;) :rofl:

Cam Newton last week made it clear he was caught off guard when the Patriots released him, as he didn’t believe Mac Jones actually beat him out for the starting quarterback job. But after watching Jones’ NFL debut, former New England safety Brandon Meriweather has a tough time believing Newton.

Meriweather recently joined 98.5 The Sports Hub’s “Toucher and Rich” and put the Patriots’ quarterback decision into simple terms. The 2007 first-round pick also featured Jones within a pretty significant comparison.

“I don’t think Cam got bamboozled at all,” Meriweather said, as transcribed by Patriots Wire. “I think Cam lost the battle. Mac Jones looked like the prototype Patriots quarterback. He looked like a young Tom Brady. When Cam missed them days, they actually got a chance to watch Mac Jones and people love what they see.”

Cam Newton last week made it clear he was caught off guard when the Patriots released him, as he didn’t believe Mac Jones actually beat him out for the starting quarterback job. But after watching Jones’ NFL debut, former New England safety Brandon Meriweather has a tough time believing Newton.

Meriweather recently joined 98.5 The Sports Hub’s “Toucher and Rich” and put the Patriots’ quarterback decision into simple terms. The 2007 first-round pick also featured Jones within a pretty significant comparison.

“I don’t think Cam got bamboozled at all,” Meriweather said, as transcribed by Patriots Wire. “I think Cam lost the battle. Mac Jones looked like the prototype Patriots quarterback. He looked like a young Tom Brady. When Cam missed them days, they actually got a chance to watch Mac Jones and people love what they see.”
That's an extremely dishonest article considering Cam actually did say he lost the position battle outright.

Big Bang Clock chimes in. When he wasn't a penalty machine, he was a pretty good player. He's spot on here.

That's an extremely dishonest article considering Cam actually did say he lost the position battle outright.

I think he is being fairly honest here...just my opinion..

I think he is being fairly honest here...just my opinion..

I don't have a problem with what Meriweather said. I have a problem with the way the author is framing what Cam said to be the opposite of what Cam said. Creating drama out of two people agreeing.

I don't have a problem with what Meriweather said. I have a problem with the way the author is framing what Cam said to be the opposite of what Cam said. Creating drama out of two people agreeing.
This was often reported "Cam Newton last week made it clear he was caught off guard when the Patriots released him...". I don't really care what the author says...I just posted for context for Meriweather's comments. It's all good.

Someone said this, but there is going to be overreactions both ways if he does good or he does bad. If he has a good game then he is the next goat, if he has a bad game, then we screwed up drafting him and we are doomed. People and the media like to jump quickly to what a player is or is not, and its rarely the case. Not saying you cannot be impressed with some things he does or anything like that, but I tend to give a player time, time to adjust, time for other teams to get film on them, etc etc before I start saying they are a bust or they are the next great QB.

Awile back, I said that I almost hated football anymore because the pats success had built up expectations so much that anything other than a superbowl was a complete failure, and bill needs to be fired and brady needs to be traded, etc etc, and I said it was almost better back in the times the team was not so good because any good things that happened were a parade and any bad things that happened you could look forward to growth, so I embrace this time. When you are at the top, you can only stay the same or go down, the climb is the fun part, doing the unexpected. Things like winning the superbowl in 01 when nobody expected it, those are the fun things. Winning a superbowl toward the end was almost a relief than it was a celebration. Just some quick thoughts.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back