PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones is the Starter [Update - Mac is starting vs the Jete, says BB]

"Fully available" is a different statement from "Mac Jones is our starter against the Jets." But thanks for the clip.

That video footage report also doesn't preclude another repeat of the Bears game: Mac starts, gets in trouble, and gets yanked in favor of Zappe again.

BB is clearly playing mind games with our two young quarterbacks.

Is that really the best approach for them to create a 'rivalry' environment OR should he have made assurances to Mac Jones so as not to shatter the young QB's confidence?

Phil Perry asked specifically if Jones was the starter and that is when Belichick said “That is what I just said”. So yes, Jones is starting on Sunday.

I think the theories that the coaching staff is trying to sabotage Mac Jones are silly. But that doesn’t mean they are not mishandling him with their aggressive play calling for him.

And I have to rethink my take on how teams will develop a book on Zappe and learn how to scheme for him and he can be exposed after that. Now that I know Breer has the same take, I am thinking there is a flaw in my logic.

Last edited:
I think the theories that the coaching staff is trying to sabotage Mac Jones is silly. But that doesn’t mean they are not mishandling him with their aggressive play calling for him.

And I have to rethink my take on how teams will develop a book on Zappe and learn how to scheme for him and he can be exposed after that. Now that I know Breer has the same take, I am thinking there is a flaw in my logic.
Zappe was exposed in the 2nd half of the last game....D line just stood tall the entire half with hands up. Zappe can run an NFL offense but he cannot be considered a starting QB in the league unless there's injuries to the starter....a 10 years younger Hoyer IMO...

Zappe was exposed in the 2nd half of the last game....D line just stood tall the entire half with hands up. Zappe can run an NFL offense but he cannot be considered a starting QB in the league unless there's injuries to the starter....a 10 years younger Hoyer IMO...
QBs get balls batted down all the time. Brady had 3 tonight.

no..the 2nd half of our LOSS on Monday
Yea, it was awful. You talking about the 4 batted pssses? It won't matter, doubt he sees the field again. We live by the knife, we die by Mac the knife.

so...I guess my underlying point is,,,we NEED a #1 starting QB...we do not know what the hell Mac Jones is at this point. What we DO know is he is NOT in the physical class of the Mahomes/Allen/Burrow/Herbert type that headlines TODAY'S NFL. Let me spitball a "what if" scenario going into the 2023 NFL draft. We have all our picks and right now our 1st is projected #10. We already knopw that SF and at least four other NFL teams have been sniffing around the Mac Jones tree. OK, figuring Wynn is out of here by Tuesday for mid round picks (hopefully), will trading Jones to SF for their 2nd rounder be enough for us to package our 10 and move up into range of Houston's two top picks?
I'm guessing the 1st QB taken will be the Alabama's Bryce Young. With any luck we could get a shot at Will Levis from the Wildcats..a big, strong armed, bruising runner already playing a pro set for the past 2 seasons. Plug and play, Zappe backup, intelligent O line picks, let this kid mature and join the ranks of those QB's I mentioned. He's got the prerequisite skill set.

maybe a pipe dream...but I cannot see a future for Mac Jones here with THIS current coaching staff...and I refuse to buy into any "new Flutie" fan hysteria vis a vis Zappe.

I was making a bad joke. Breer is right. Young QBs when they first get playing action can flash for a game or two or even three before teams figure out how to defend them. Zappe really only had one really good game, one good game where he was ask just to not make mistakes, and two really good drives.

And I agree the Bears knew they could just hold the line and clog the passing lanes when Zappe went to exclusive shotgun. He turtled when he did.

I didn't watch a lot of last night's games and didn't see the balls that Brady had batted down, but I guarantee you those batted balls were far different than the balls Zappe balls batted down. I have a hard time believing that the Ravens' defensive line just held the line and didn't rush Brady and just tried to flood the passing lanes against Brady. Brady is far too tall for that strategy. Not all tipped balls are the same.

I think it's too early to take that opinion from one half of football and a few batted balls at the line. I'm not saying he is going to be a starter but i think he can overcome the batted balls at the least.

I don’t want a Taysom Hill style platoon here. Might as well call out to the defense what play is coming.

Mac is the starter and should be the rest of the way. Whether he’s the future is a different question. I don’t think he will get next season to prove himself. We need better QB play starting now.

I was making a bad joke. Breer is right. Young QBs when they first get playing action can flash for a game or two or even three before teams figure out how to defend them. Zappe really only had one really good game, one good game where he was ask just to not make mistakes, and two really good drives.
Yup seen it lots of times in the league with young backup QBs thrown into a starter role. They don’t have a long shelf life. Like Mike White, Cooper Rush, Trevor Siemian…

Yea, it was awful. You talking about the 4 batted pssses? It won't matter, doubt he sees the field again. We live by the knife, we die by Mac the knife.
Venecol is loosing it....calling him Mack the Knife is the nicest thing you've said about him.

You know when that shark bites with his teeth, babe
Scarlet billows start to spread

so...I guess my underlying point is,,,we NEED a #1 starting QB...we do not know what the hell Mac Jones is at this point. What we DO know is he is NOT in the physical class of the Mahomes/Allen/Burrow/Herbert type that headlines TODAY'S NFL. Let me spitball a "what if" scenario going into the 2023 NFL draft. We have all our picks and right now our 1st is projected #10. We already knopw that SF and at least four other NFL teams have been sniffing around the Mac Jones tree. OK, figuring Wynn is out of here by Tuesday for mid round picks (hopefully), will trading Jones to SF for their 2nd rounder be enough for us to package our 10 and move up into range of Houston's two top picks?
I'm guessing the 1st QB taken will be the Alabama's Bryce Young. With any luck we could get a shot at Will Levis from the Wildcats..a big, strong armed, bruising runner already playing a pro set for the past 2 seasons. Plug and play, Zappe backup, intelligent O line picks, let this kid mature and join the ranks of those QB's I mentioned. He's got the prerequisite skill set.

maybe a pipe dream...but I cannot see a future for Mac Jones here with THIS current coaching staff...and I refuse to buy into any "new Flutie" fan hysteria vis a vis Zappe.
I understand your argument, but I just don't know why Burrow is in there. He's not a super athlete and really just has an average arm. He's more of a Montana type than anything else.

Way too early to throw the towel in on Zap.

Both Brees and Wilson overcame being shorter NFL QBs. Drew Brees walked right past me at the media hotel for Soper Bowl 46. I am taller than him at 6 foot. Zap will be back. This Jets game is a must win for NE. If the Pats go 3 - 5 this season is over and we may as well start talking draft.

If Zap has to come back in for the Jets, it will be because Jones choked at his chance to do the job.

Yup seen it lots of times in the league with young backup QBs thrown into a starter role. They don’t have a long shelf life. Like Mike White, Cooper Rush, Trevor Siemian…

I forgot Mike White. Remember last year when people last year were talking about a QB controversy in Jetsland after he completed 82% of his passes for 405 yards and 3 TDs (with two INTs) against the Bengals last year? His last game as a starter two games later, he completed 54.5% of his passes for 251 yards, no TDs, and 4 INTs and was never heard from again.

Reactions: sb1
I think Mac is gonna be our QB for many years. He doesn't have a cannon for throwing deep on the run or throwing a rope when retreating, but other than that he can throw short-medium-deep with touch and accuracy. He's pretty mobile with good speed, though certainly not in the top tier. He's not Allen-Mahomes-Herbert-Burrow-Jackson, but he can be a good starting QB.

Way too early to throw the towel in on Zap.

Both Brees and Wilson overcame being shorter NFL QBs. Drew Brees walked right past me at the media hotel for Soper Bowl 46. I am taller than him at 6 foot. Zap will be back. This Jets game is a must win for NE. If the Pats go 3 - 5 this season is over and we may as well start talking draft.

If Zap has to come back in for the Jets, it will be because Jones choked at his chance to do the job.

Wilson made up for his lack of size with his athletic skills. Look what he looks like this year as a pocket passer or even last year. The last few years he has been moving away from relying on his athletic skills and becoming a pocket passer and he is become a mediocre QB.

As for Brees, he is far more talented than Zappe. And the Saints always gave him a dominant offensive line that would push back the pile and give him big throwing lanes. Go look back at some his highlights and see the completely wide open passing lanes they gave him. And Zappe is no Drew Brees. And the Patriots' o-line isn't the Saints' o-lines during the Brees era.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back