PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones Draft scouting report weaknesses ring true

Now you're just being ridiculous.
Absolutely serious.
There's a Brady forum because he's the greatest QB of all time and spent 20+ years here, but I didn't want to have to sift through Bucs news in the main forum for those who wanted to keep an eye on how things were going. Once he retires - for real - I'll close that forum and any relevant news can go in here.
Yeah, but Mac is the next sensation and its more about him than the whole team winning.
We don't have a Garoppolo forum so if Mac goes, we won't have one for him either ;)
Mac is here now and he has a rabid fanbase. All Mac 24/7 could happen in his forum. Only Mac praise would be allowed.

Think about it. Facebook has hundreds if not thousands of Mac followers that may migrate here.

Lol, I feel like this is sort of what you're doing now :p
Kermit The Frog Reaction GIF by Muppet Wiki
Just trying to reason with people, but theyve dug their heels in.

It cant be good when your own teammates call you out, but Judon was a Raven.

FGAvmvaXwAYUslh.jpg

Absolutely serious.

Yeah, but Mac is the next sensation and its more about him than the whole team winning.

Mac is here now and he has a rabid fanbase. All Mac 24/7 could happen in his forum. Only Mac praise would be allowed.

Think about it. Facebook has hundreds if not thousands of Mac followers that may migrate here.
No, that's not the case. Mac doesn't have a rabid fanbase. Most of the people who are rooting for him fall into the category where there are simply those of us who have a wait-and-see mentality when it comes to the team. I mean, honestly, if McDaniels was still here and this was going on, the sentiment would be completely different.

The biggest issue right now is that there are too many contributing factors that go beyond Mac for their offensive issues and the fact that they don't have a viable coordinator is absolutely the #1 problem. Obviously, it's not just my opinion, that's been the case the last couple of weeks as people nationally have criticized Patricia during the team's struggles. And Matt let Zappe down in that second half vs Chicago as well. It's not a Mac-centric issue.

However, at the same time when he has a game where he completes just 40-ish percent of his throws, the attention turns back toward him and not for the reasons you're saying. Clearly, over these final three games, something has to give. Although like most people, and probably for the first time in all the years I've been doing this the last two decades+, I certainly have my doubts about how things are going to go.

No, that's not the case. Mac doesn't have a rabid fanbase. Most of the people who are rooting for him fall into the category where there are simply those of us who have a wait-and-see mentality when it comes to the team. I mean, honestly, if McDaniels was still here and this was going on, the sentiment would be completely different.

The biggest issue right now is that there are too many contributing factors that go beyond Mac for their offensive issues and the fact that they don't have a viable coordinator is absolutely the #1 problem. Obviously, it's not just my opinion, that's been the case the last couple of weeks as people nationally have criticized Patricia during the team's struggles. And Matt let Zappe down in that second half vs Chicago as well. It's not a Mac-centric issue.

However, at the same time when he has a game where he completes just 40-ish percent of his throws, the attention turns back toward him and not for the reasons you're saying. Clearly, over these final three games, something has to give. Although like most people, and probably for the first time in all the years I've been doing this the last two decades+, I certainly have my doubts about how things are going to go.
This. I would be a lot harder on Mac if it was a real OC like McDaniels or Reich and we were getting this. Right now we have an OC who calls some of the most predictable plays in the league, calls some outright bad plays, lacks situational awareness and kills drives with some of his play calls, has had every player on the offense regress, can't get plays in on time during the game, has other players going rogue on his plays because either they don't trust him or his intentions aren't communicated, is also responsible for an offensive line which is playing pretty bad, and quite frankly just never really had qualifications for the position he is in.

It's hard for me to say the year 2 QB is the big problem when there is a big neon light that has like 10 other problems associated with him that was also a question mark to begin with, that is effecting pretty much every facet of the offense.

To me there are two possibilities right now.

1. Patricia is bad AND Mac is also bad but not the main problem.
2. Patricia is bad AND Mac is a young QB who could be good and the future but he's getting derailed.

The first part is clear. The second part is up in the air. Luckily for Mac he's going into year 3 on a rookie contract where he has one more chance to make a jump and prove himself before we have to decide to pick up the 5th year option or sign him. So hopefully we can make a smart decision and drop the clear and obvious problem to get one more look at him.

Because the last thing I want for this team, is for us to throw the baby out with the bath water when we don't have to, watch Mac go somewhere else and all his draft potential come out and have him play good, and then this team potentially lost a viable future QB because of questionable coaching hires. Because that is something that will create a complete reset on everybody here imo.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
The biggest issue right now is that there are too many contributing factors that go beyond Mac for their offensive issues and the fact that they don't have a viable coordinator is absolutely the #1 problem
Like I said previously they were plays to be made in every single game this year and the fact that Mac didn’t make them is a tell.

i completely agree than no QB would able to play to a truly elite level in this offense but at the same time better QB play would have led to better results.

The simple fact that Mac has been unable to elevate this offense by his play is very telling to what his future is for me. What this year show me is that Mac has been carried last year by a great coordinator and players around him playing great. I truly think there was a huge opportunity for him with clown Patricia to show that he was the guy and that he could rise above this sh*t show.

The conclusion I came about after this year is that the success of this offense is predicated by the player around Mac Jones. I didn’t except Mac to become Brady but I expected him to be able to take a little bit more on his shoulders.

Man…that is SPOT on for what we are seeing.

Which means…he has been coached up exactly ZERO
there is no offensive guru on the staff to coach him up. That left when McD did. We need to bring in an actual offensive coordinator and also a QB coach. Give Matt an office upstairs and Joe can go F off.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back