PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones appreciation thread

Mac's caught this guy's attention... huh.

Is that an underhanded dig at his own QB?
Mathieu is applying for a Pats job next year obviously, he wants to win another ring, because he is aware with Sorensen and this Chiefs D# they ain't winning **** soon

Is that an underhanded dig at his own QB?
I don't think so but it kinda made me take pause. I think he was trying to say Mac doesn't need to be like Mahomes to be considered a very good QB.

Mac even has Peyton‘s attention. Called that throw to Henry in the Browns game awesome- which it was. Gotta love that.

I love when he circles Belichick standing on the sidelines with his arms crossed as everyone else jumps around and says, "Even Bill Belichick’s fired up. Look at the excitement and the enthusiasm he’s showing on this play. It is awesome.":)

When are we going to discuss Mac and the cold weather coming? Does he need to reach out to Brady or Hoyer can bridge that gap?

Mathieu is applying for a Pats job next year obviously, he wants to win another ring, because he is aware with Sorensen and this Chiefs D# they ain't winning **** soon

Yep, he's a FA after this year

What gives you the confidence that he will be fine? Have we seen him even wear a glove before?

Of course we won't know until we see it, but he has a lot of the traits that good cold weather QBs have: accuracy and touch. He's not reliant on deep balls (though he can throw them, contrary to the narrative), so wind isn't as big of a factor, and he doesn't always try to throw the ball 250 mph, which helps receivers not have their frozen fingers broken on short passes. He's also shown a general toughness that makes me think he won't shrink because he's uncomfortable. Again, we'll see, but with the running game we have I think Mac compliments well in cold weather.

He did great in the rain against Tampa. In fact he did better than Tampa's QB in that one...
No one knows how Mac will in freezing temps, howling winds, blizzard conditions but what I do think is he will be a prepared as prepared can be.

What gives you the confidence that he will be fine? Have we seen him even wear a glove before?
1) he has the best coach on the planet who will prepare him.
2) he has a great running game and defense to help him
3) he has big hands - bigger than TB12s
4) he is a very accurate, short passer who throws a tight, nose down spiral with good velocity. Perfect for in-climate weather.
5) he throws a very soft, catchable ball. Good for WRs who have cold hands.
6) he may wear gloves. he may not. i'm sure he'll make the right decision.

So....it's not something i'm really worried about right now.

Last edited:
Slightly off topic (maybe at least topic adjacent): Watching Daniel Jones play the Bucs last night, it's staggering the difference between him and Mac. That team has offensive talent: Golladay, Toney, Engram, Barkley, even Booker did well filling in for Saquon while he was out. But you watch Daniel at the line, and he just looks... NERVOUS. I know different QB's have different styles. Peyton was basically a flappy bird pre-snap, but you never felt like he was out of control. If anything, it looked like he was intentionally playing up the adjustment angle to throw a lot of false info at the defense. But Daniel Jones was manic, to the point where I felt like he was overthinking plays he didn't have the poise to standard-think in the first place.

There was one in particular where he was dancing back and forth from under center to shotgun, motioning guys out, then stopping them, then motioning them back out. Made maybe seven adjustments on his skill guys, then handed the ball to Booker for a 1 yard loss. Even the announcers said, "All that for THAT run!?"

Then you watch Mac (in his first year, as opposed to Daniel's 3rd), and he's calm, he's composed, and feels like his motions are minimized. He does what he needs to do pre-snap, then gets on with it. His confidence is noticeable, even though he makes some rookie mistakes. And it's not like Daniel doesn't have an experienced OC as well. Jason Garrett, for all his faults as a head coach, got that job because he was a great OC with a good track record developing QBs.

Anyway, just a little appreciation for getting the better Jones in the middle of the first round.

Slightly off topic (maybe at least topic adjacent): Watching Daniel Jones play the Bucs last night, it's staggering the difference between him and Mac. That team has offensive talent: Golladay, Toney, Engram, Barkley, even Booker did well filling in for Saquon while he was out. But you watch Daniel at the line, and he just looks... NERVOUS. I know different QB's have different styles. Peyton was basically a flappy bird pre-snap, but you never felt like he was out of control. If anything, it looked like he was intentionally playing up the adjustment angle to throw a lot of false info at the defense. But Daniel Jones was manic, to the point where I felt like he was overthinking plays he didn't have the poise to standard-think in the first place.

There was one in particular where he was dancing back and forth from under center to shotgun, motioning guys out, then stopping them, then motioning them back out. Made maybe seven adjustments on his skill guys, then handed the ball to Booker for a 1 yard loss. Even the announcers said, "All that for THAT run!?"

Then you watch Mac (in his first year, as opposed to Daniel's 3rd), and he's calm, he's composed, and feels like his motions are minimized. He does what he needs to do pre-snap, then gets on with it. His confidence is noticeable, even though he makes some rookie mistakes. And it's not like Daniel doesn't have an experienced OC as well. Jason Garrett, for all his faults as a head coach, got that job because he was a great OC with a good track record developing QBs.

Anyway, just a little appreciation for getting the better Jones in the middle of the first round.

Daniel Jones can make NFL caliber throws but doesn't have it upstairs. Some of those throws he made last night were just mind-boggling. Mac is way better.

Daniel Jones can make NFL caliber throws but doesn't have it upstairs. Some of those throws he made last night were just mind-boggling. Mac is way better.

I mean, he threw an interception to a nose tackle who was laying on the ground a good 15 feet away from any Giants target. I watched the replay on that a few times and I still don't get it.

1) he has the best coach on the planet who will prepare him.
2) he has a great running game and defense to help him
3) he has big hands - bigger than TB12s
4) he is a very accurate, short passer who throws a tight, nose down spiral with good velocity. Perfect for in-climate weather.
5) he throws a very soft, catchable ball. Good for WRs who have cold hands.
6) he may wear gloves. he may not. i'm sure he'll make the right decision.

So....it's not something i'm really worried about right now.
7) Mac has Hoyer to tell him any tricks of the trade Hoyer and Brady developed.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back